• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Go back to marked paper ballots with electronic scanning. Just as fast or faster (no fumbling at the computer, more voters just hand out more pencils) and a paper trail that can be verified.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    Maybe a dumb question but is your voter registration card required for the early voting? I seem to have misplaced mine.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Voted today and video recorded my votes. Many races in my district are dems running unopposed. I wrote in candidates for every one of those races. Angry that some ignorant Brown campaign volunteer who was in line to vote kept talking to the older woman behind me about Obama and Hillary. The older woman was wearing a pink t-shirt that read Women for Hogan. Get a clue... In some cases I had to press the screen numerous times to get my vote recorded.

bg71361

Apr 30, 2012
    I've been seeing this message posted on Change Maryland's facebook page in the comments section:

"Please share this HOTLINE 443-837-9223 and immediately report any inaccurate votes. There have been numerous reports of voting machines not being calibrated correctly and registering inaccurate votes. Thank you"

and

"Here is the Hotline number for the Larry Hogan campaign and if you notice anything wrong with the voting machines in MD, call it and an attorney will answer 443-837-9223 Please share so voters know. Thank you"

Just had an issue with a voting machine used the above number both the same which is for Hogans offices. I have tried to get through to report this and let me tell you this is not an easy task..... I got through on 800-222-8683 for the state but all lines were busy and could not be transferred to Mont. Co. Offices. Now I have left message at the Mont. Co. Office and the supervisor is away from his desk, left call back number we'll see what happens.

bg71361

Apr 30, 2012
    I should have elaborated;

In short the issue was in comptroller and county executive slots in both, the vote cast resulted in the oppositions box being checked! I was able to correct the entry but the machine remained in service after reporting it to an election judge. Additionally I reported to Maryland State who took little information and referred me to Montgomery County whom I left full details on the issue. The issue was not repeatable and there was not a dead spot on the screen.

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    Perhaps I am just extremely jaded, but even with a receipt, I am not sure that I would believe that the machine isn't just printing what someone programed it to want me to believe, and posting something different. What is there to prevent that?

The only thing I can think of, is the receipt has a verification code, that if presented to the board of elections, you can have your ballet read back to you.

The reason you don't get a printed receipt, and likely never will, is that it makes selling your vote so much easier.

I'll give you $50 to vote for candidate X, just bring your receipt...

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    What bothers me the most, is that these flips happened to be caught by vigilant voters who were watching the screen.

Imagine how many flips took place and never got noticed due to inattention, being in a hurry, or, dare I say, trust.

Yep, I given this ^^^ thought too (OH, I'm in'na hurry an gotta' get back to work).

This is my question as well... How many DON'T we know about? I'd venture it's more than we DO know of.

T've given this ^^^ thought too.

I saw a video of someone "voting" and it doing this. It looked like they "fat fingered" it.

Im not saying there is NOT a problem, but maybe the quantity is now being "over spoken" due to peoples own mistakes?

I dunno

Fat Fingering it??? :lol2: I knew a girl that liked.............. oh nevermind.

If that is the case why aren't we hearing about Ds flipping to Rs. Not a single case - if there was the media would be on it.

THIS^^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ AND A WHOLE LOTTA" MORE OF THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was preaching this in the shop today and apparently as of last night's 11:00 PM tv news (channel 13 WJZ), there was nothing of the nature.

However on Tuesday night 10/28, a tv reporter was interviewing on film that ******* bitch Rollin-Blake in regard to R-B's bet with the KC mayor over the ball game series. The reporter asked R-B if she looses the bet, it wouldn't be right or ethical to use tax payers money for R-B to use to pay her bet. Then the reporter asked R-B for her response and R-B just looked dumbfounded and growing madder by the millisecond, then after about a 3 to 5 second silence on R-B's part, R-B just said in an ignorant arrogant manner "I hafta' leave now" and turned her back and walked away. That reporter had R-B trapped in a corner and that R-B mayor bitch just walked away. That reporter should've hounded R-B to the hilt on that issue.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I should have elaborated;

In short the issue was in comptroller and county executive slots in both, the vote cast resulted in the oppositions box being checked! I was able to correct the entry but the machine remained in service after reporting it to an election judge. Additionally I reported to Maryland State who took little information and referred me to Montgomery County whom I left full details on the issue. The issue was not repeatable and there was not a dead spot on the screen.

OK, there is no way for that to be calibration error or screen focus drift.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I saw a report on TV about voting machines being calibrated. It showed a clip, probably stock footage, of several people apparently working on lines of voting machines interestingly everyone in the clip appeared to be a minority. Maybe the problem is under educated workers being incompetent?

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    The reason you don't get a printed receipt, and likely never will, is that it makes selling your vote so much easier.

I'll give you $50 to vote for candidate X, just bring your receipt...

I think that's less of a realistic issue today. People are already being bribed for votes with blatant pandering and I don't think that what you're describing is scalable beyond the most local of elections. But I think that's kind of a moot point anyway as a paper receipt doesn't tell you anything beyond the fact that the machine printed something out matching your selections. It doesn't tell you that the final vote tally included a correct vote from you.

So you solve both problems with simple solution. Your voter registration comes with credentials to a site maintained by the election commission. All votes from the final tally are tied to an election-specific unique ID, meaning that the ID is different for each person and each election cycle. Following the final tally of votes each election cycle, data is posted on the site. Publicly, the anonymous and unique ID and the votes cast by that ID are available for all for basic tally purposes (i.e. did they add up the votes correctly). Privately, your voter registration card's credentials let you access your assigned unique ID for that cycle (allowing you to verify that your votes were correctly recorded in the master tally).

If you're still concerned about people paying $50 for a vote, make such an arrangement punishable by a mandatory 10 years in Federal prison for both parties and put that info up everywhere around election time. Not a chance any more than a handful of people would risk it at that point and the risk of getting turned in would dissuade almost all would-be vote buyers. And with that, you have verifiable electronic voting. Add a requirement for presentation of ID and proof of eligibility at the voting site and we might even get reasonably accurate elections.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I think that's less of a realistic issue today. People are already being bribed for votes with blatant pandering and I don't think that what you're describing is scalable beyond the most local of elections. But I think that's kind of a moot point anyway as a paper receipt doesn't tell you anything beyond the fact that the machine printed something out matching your selections. It doesn't tell you that the final vote tally included a correct vote from you.

So you solve both problems with simple solution. Your voter registration comes with credentials to a site maintained by the election commission. All votes from the final tally are tied to an election-specific unique ID, meaning that the ID is different for each person and each election cycle. Following the final tally of votes each election cycle, data is posted on the site. Publicly, the anonymous and unique ID and the votes cast by that ID are available for all for basic tally purposes (i.e. did they add up the votes correctly). Privately, your voter registration card's credentials let you access your assigned unique ID for that cycle (allowing you to verify that your votes were correctly recorded in the master tally).

If you're still concerned about people paying $50 for a vote, make such an arrangement punishable by a mandatory 10 years in Federal prison for both parties and put that info up everywhere around election time. Not a chance any more than a handful of people would risk it at that point and the risk of getting turned in would dissuade almost all would-be vote buyers. And with that, you have verifiable electronic voting. Add a requirement for presentation of ID and proof of eligibility at the voting site and we might even get reasonably accurate elections.

:rolleyes:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

Assumimg your serious I pray you are not in IT. Assumimg you are in IT I pray you are not serious. Assuming both I pray you do some research.

One hint... Spoofing.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    Assumimg your serious I pray you are not in IT. Assumimg you are in IT I pray you are not serious. Assuming both I pray you do some research.

One hint... Spoofing.

I might not have been clear with what I posted, so I apologize for that. At no point was I intending to suggest any sort of Internet-based voting (I would never support such a thing now or in the future). Indeed, nothing having anything to do with the outcome of the election or any part of the input or tallying of any votes should have any sort of Internet connectivity. Doing so is begging for massive fraud on scales we haven't ever seen in this country.

Rather, this was intended as a quick and dirty thought experiment in how to post -results- of elections online in such a way that the integrity of the reported outcomes could be verified after the fact while preserving as much anonymity as possible. I'm also not claiming this is at all perfect or that anyone will ever do it or anything like it. Having verifiable election results isn't in the interests of either party when they're the ones with their hands on the controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom