• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Cool thread, I have one of these carbines.

I have a couple boxes of the Nazi-marked ammo.

Might have to add another set of dies to the collection.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Does anyone subscribe to LoadData.com? $29.95/year. Looks to be a collection of user supplied data, but not sure.

Yes, I do (or did).
    I found some load data for IMR4895, Had to renew the membership and waiting for that to complete. Not so immediate it seems.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    loaddata.com has info on 3031, 4895, 4320,4350 and W760 for the 206grn bullets
    The data is all in the 2200-2300fps range

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Slugged one of my Stery M95's and it was .333!
    Anyone know where I can get bigger bullets? The Grafs are .330 but measure at .329
    Not really interested in molding if I can find bigger bullets. Maybe some lead pre lubed and gas checked bullets.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Slugged one of my Stery M95's and it was .333!
    Anyone know where I can get bigger bullets? The Grafs are .330 but measure at .329
    Not really interested in molding if I can find bigger bullets. Maybe some lead pre lubed and gas checked bullets.

Yeah, almost all of them are going to slug right around that.

I posted this info on your C&R forum thread but not sure if you saw it.

If you aren't wanting to get into casting, you can get a Lee cast bullet sizer in .329 (20 bucks) and size down FMJ .338 bullets.

20 bucks is all you'll need to spend, it will work with your regular reloading press. It just threads in like any reloading die, there's a plunger you put in the case holder slot, and you just push the bullets up through the sizer and it sizes them down.

You can either buy the Lee .329 sizer and open it up to closer to your bore size with a dowel and some fine sandpaper (this is what I did, took all of 5 minutes) , or there's guys on reloading forums who offer custom made machined sizers in any size you want.

If you're really worried you might get the sizer out of round by doing this yourself, you can spend about 60 bucks shipped for a custom one.

Then just buy .338 Lapua bullets in whatever style and brand you want, and size them down for your M95

You're never, ever going to get the accuracy you want by using .329 Privi or Hornady bullets, although I have gotten some "decent" accuracy with them in mine that slugs at .332.

The difference between those undersized FMJ loads and my cast bullet loads that run around .331 (or .332 powder coated after sizing) is like night and day.

If you use Lee dies, it even suggests doing this with .338 bullets and the sizer at .329 (back when the die set was released, I don't think any of the big names were offering .330 or .329 bullets)

The places I know that were making custom cast bullets that you can order aren't doing it anymore, so I don't know of any place where you can order them.

I would be happy to send you some cast/powder coated bullets to try when I am able to cast again. I think you said you used Unique for something else, and that would work fine with the cast loads.

I don't gas check my .331-.332 cast bullets, I just powder coat them and they do great. Not even sure if I could find gas checks in that size, I didn't look.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    yea, I saw that, was wondering if there were any bullets ready to go.
    I'd be interested in powder coated bullets when you get around to it.
    My bore is pretty pitted but curious how a properly fitted bullet would work with it.
    I'll look around for .338 bullets that are reasonably priced. I did see some looking around but they were like $40 box of 50! ouch.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Toolness
    Could I simply take a .329 bullet and epoxy or powder coat it to add more thickness?

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Toolness
    Could I simply take a .329 bullet and epoxy or powder coat it to add more thickness?

I have never tried powder coating a FMJ bullet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I have used powder coating to add diameter to a bullet, and it has worked. The stuff is tough enough that it holds up well enough to grip the rifling better.

I'll PM you some info on how I powder coat, just try the same process with some of your .329 bullets and see how they do.

You can also bake on multiple coats of powder coating, and you can vary how thick each coat is by how much solution you use. I doubt the dry coating method will work very well with FMJ bullets, but the wet method might.

Josh Smith

Aug 10, 2010
    This is good info. I'm bumping it because it missed its last 5-year bump, and for possible current interest beyond my own.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I did end up reloading .329 bullets I got in bulk that were I think pulled. Silt that gun along with the bullets and cases.
    I did pick up and an un cut full length Steyr a couple years later but just got a box of PPU
    I really only like PPU cases cause they often under size the bullets I feel to be on the safe side for these old relics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh Smith

Aug 10, 2010
    I did end up reloading .329 bullets I got in bulk that were I think pulled. Silt that gun along with the bullets and cases.
    I did pick up and an un cut full length Steyr a couple years later but just got a box of PPU
    I really only like PPU cases cause they often under size the bullets I feel to be on the safe side for these old relics.

They undersize them? I hope not. I have 20 loaded rounds and 50 bullets of theirs on the way. The idea is to have something to shoot while I figure out the direction I want to take.

At some point I need to slug the barrel. The entire rifle is near perfect, so I'm betting it's tight. Still, I need to know before I invest money in a sizer. I think I'll cast for it, but I also want to shoot resized 0.338 jacketed bullets.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It’s not going to be dangerous but it won’t shoot well from what I have seen.
    Slugging will be important.
    I have only looked down the bore of 4 Steyr rifles ever, all were worn or frosty
    I did hit 12” steel consistently offhand at 100 yards which is all I cared about.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Lots of European rifles and barrel designs have oversize grooves for bullet diameter particularly military rifles.
    It has to do with bullet set up and engineering practices for making jacketed ammunition and the practice is done intentionally.
    Theirs two generally accepted trains of thought for groove diameter in the manufacture of martial and even sporting arms with the US arsenals set on over groove diameter projectiles from about the late 18 or early 1900's to about WWII. European thinking is/was a little different.
    Gilding metal for cup manufacture and steel jacketed or cupro nickle bullets behave much differently when subjected to pressure and friction.
    The English for example were stead fast in the bullet envelope just filling the grooves nearly or almost to its entirety which reduces fins set into the bullet increasing accuracy as determined by the labs and ballisticians during trials vs the continental practice here of slightly oversize bullets for groove depth.
    For instance a 303 bore is measured from the top a land to the bottom of a groove etc. so when your slugging a bore only measuring the lands diameter particularly an odd number of them its something to be mindful of especially when developing safe effective ammo.
    That your not creating excess pressure and friction needlessly by an oversize bullet expecting gains in accuracy.
    Flat based bullets jacketed bullets or even lead bullets are what one should be after in most all surplus rifles with worn throats to gain increased measures of accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom