Secretary of Maryland State Police is Marcus Brown

http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/23dsp/html/msa15831.html

Licensing Division
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208-3899
    Captain Dalaine Brady, Commander
    410.653.5441 (FAX)
    msp.licensing@maryland.gov
    The Licensing Division administers laws and conducts investigations concerning the sale, transfer, and registration of handguns, shotguns, rifles, machines guns, and listening devices.

I would say that Captain Dalaine Brady, Commander of the Licensing Division, is the MSP Secretary's designee.

Whoever is dealing with the ATF on this matter, if you would like me to proofread/edit/change your letter/response, send me a PM and I will give you an e-mail address that will make it easier for us to communicate through.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Maryland sucks!

That helped your post count, but not this thread..........:sad20:

What I can't understand is why didn't they just reach out to MSP/Cpl. Edwards, seems that he is willing to work with them? Is it our individual burden to show that we can legally posses NFA items? This could have went on for a while if they just kept avoiding the situation and Maryland residents. Just seems unprofessional IMO.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    And could this be of some use in the ongoing lawsuit over FSA'13? Something to the effect of "This cluster**** is so bad even the ATF can't figure it out!"

Depending on what the ATF and MSP work out on this one, there might be a need for a Declaratory Judgment action on this matter, which would be completely separate from the Kolbe matter.

This stuff really is frustrating. Guess I will build both a .300 BLK and .458 SOCOM with 16" barrels and then see where this goes and whether I will SBR them with a new barrel. Just irritating.

dgtaurus

Feb 17, 2011
    Pasadena
    This is a cluster ****. Somebody called the ATF and told them to start asking questions and sending forms back. To say that they understand what MSP is saying but then say we don't think they have the authority is asinine.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    OK, here we go:

Public Safety Section 5-101 defines the list of assault long guns, and defines the secretary as the secretary.

Section 5-105 gives the secretary authority to adopt regulations to carry out the subtitle.

This would at least imply that the MSP is the regulatory authority for determining what's an assault long gun.

Trying to build on this (IANAL, don't assume I know what I'm talking about)....

MD Code SG § 10-305(a) states (emphasis added):

§ 10-305. Ruling.

(a) Authorized.- A unit may issue a declaratory ruling.

(b) Effect.- A declaratory ruling binds the unit and the petitioner on the facts set forth in the petition.

(c) Appeal.- A declaratory ruling under this section is subject to review in a circuit court in the manner that Subtitle 2 of this title provides for the review of a contested case.

A "Unit" is defined as such:

§ 10-301. "Unit" defined.

In this subtitle, "unit" means an officer or unit that is authorized by law to:

(1) adopt regulations subject to Subtitle 1 of this title; or

(2) adjudicate contested cases subject to Subtitle 2 of this title.

So, to summarize:

1. Public Safety §5–101 defines regulated (banned) assault long guns.
    2. Public Safety §5–105 empowers the secretary to adopt regulations.
    3. State Government § 10-305 allows units to issue declaratory rulings.
    4. State Government § 10-301 defines a unit as an officer or unit authorized to adopt regulations.

Does this make sense? Let's get all our ducks in a row before we spam the ATF/MSP and dig ourselves a hole. Note that the MD AG's motion to dismiss in the EA lawsuit cites § 10-305, but I think we're going to cause trouble by citing that.

drfroglegs

TheFrogAssassin
    Jun 11, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    That's why I say we let the MSP (read Cpl Edwards) deal with it as long as they/he is willing.

We can argue all we want, but that just doesn't have the same weight as a MSP representative fighting for us...

So, wait until we hear something back from Cpl Edwards before we start sending the BATFE a bunch of our logical explanations of how we think they have the authority to interpret their own laws?

I'll post the second Cpl Edwards sends me a reply. He has replied to every single email I have sent him and I fully expect him to look into this for us.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Agreed. This looks like an internal screwup at the BATFE, lets give the licensing division a chance to do the right thing - after all, they need the BATFE to listen to them anyways.

Claybreaker 2

Aug 25, 2013
    Frederick County
    I don't want to bring a tinfoil hat into this discussion but I agree with many posters who posit that someone has contacted the ATF with the position that the MSP is incorrectly interpreting SB281 and/or other MD gun laws. I have to wonder if AG elect Frosh has let it be known that he intends to challenge MSP's interpretations, or even its authority to make interpretations. If he did reach out to higher ups in the ATF, who may share his gun philosophy, this may explain the re-review that has/is being undertaken, especially if he has indicated an intention to declare previously approved SBRs as illegal in MD.

I have no facts to support this theory, but the timing is interesting and I cannot believe that Frosh does not have some plan to further SB281. Hopefully MSP will defend their jurisdiction in this area, especially under a new Superintendent.

Finally, why did the review section not contact the MSP directly when this issue was raised unless they had some statement from an "authority" that the MSP was not the appropriate State office to address these issues?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I forget where the >29" thing came into effect is that something that can be looked into as well, or is that in SB281, if not who is the authority saying >29"? Sorry if I am way off base here.
    Claybreaker has me wondering but this started up again by something, simply the change in personnel at the ATF is what I am thinking. If this is due to frosh can he push for a change in who does have the authority in MD once he finds out he does not? Is this an area to tread lightly. Just curious don't mind me.

Thanks for everyone's work.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    From the MD Court commissioners charging language document
    Rev. 10/1/2014
    Short-barreled
    PS 5-203(a)
    MISDEMEANOR
    $5,000.00 - 5 YEARS
    *2_5212*
    **RIFLE/SHOTGUN: UNREGISTERED**
    ...did possess a short-barrelled [rifle/shotgun].
    NOTE: A short-barrelle
    d rifle is one having
    one or more barrels
    less than 16 inches in length or
    any rifle with an overall length
    of less than 26 inches. A shor
    t-barrelled shotgun has one or
    more barrels less than 18 inches
    in length or any shotgun with
    an overall length of less than 26
    inches. If either the barrel
    length, or the overall length, or
    both are less than the minimums
    stated, the weapon falls under CR 4-201.
    NOTE: Rifle means a weapon desi
    gned or redesigned made or
    remade and intended to be fire
    d from the shoulder and to use
    the energy of the explosive in a fi
    xed metallic cartridge to fire
    only a single projecti
    le through a rifle bore for each single pull
    of the trigger.
    Shotgun means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or
    remade and intended to be fire
    d from the shoulder and to use
    the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire
    through a smooth bore either a numbe
    r of ball shot or a single
    projectile for each single pull of the trigger.
    NOTE: Possession allowed if registered with U.S. Government
    in accordance with U.S. Statutes.

EXCEPTIONS - WHILE ON O
    FFICIAL BUSINESS: Law
    enforcement personnel of the U.S., this State or any political
    subdivision; means of armed for
    ces of U.S. or National Guard
    while on duty or travelling to or
    from duty; law enforcement
    personnel of another state or political subdivision, while
    temporarily in this State; jailer
    , prison guard, warden, or guard
    or keeper of any penal, correcti
    onal, or detenti
    on institution in
    this State; sheriff and temporar
    y or full time deputy sheriff.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I forget where the >29" thing came into effect is that something that can be looked into as well, or is that in SB281, if not who is the authority saying >29"? Sorry if I am way off base here.
    Claybreaker has me wondering but this started up again by something, simply the change in personnel at the ATF is what I am thinking. If this is due to frosh can he push for a change in who does have the authority in MD once he finds out he does not? Is this an area to tread lightly. Just curious don't mind me.

Thanks for everyone's work.

See attachment in Engage Armament's post in the Maryland 2A forum. Note that the MD AG's motion to dismiss essentially says that letter is worthless in my layman eyes.

Kindly find attached a letter that was submitted to MSP and cc'ed to ATF regarding the OAL 29" requirement of SBRs.

If you see any problems with this letter please email me (don't PM me) at andy@engagearmament.com or nate@engagearmament.com. Do not post the problem here.

I would also like to add that almost every trooper and civilian employee we have dealt with at MSP has been cool. This is not aimed at them, but at those bureaucrats/politicians who continue to violate our Constitutional and natural rights as MD residents and US citizens.

That is all.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    ...Second, since they are under the impression that the SBR Advisory was not written by the overall authority concerning Maryland firearms, they could not use it as justification for what's legal and what’s not...

Almost sounds like ATF tried to justify the current MSP ban on SBRs<29" as copy cats and could not do it! Why because its not a correct legal ban given the way the law is written. We have MSP making this up and we are getting a legal opinion from someone who is not a lawyer, but a state trooper. Since they can't seem to make sense of those whole mess, they are just scared to allow anything past as they don't understand what they are missing. As much as they want "A semiautomatic centerfire rifle" to include a SBR, it doesn't. I bet ATF sees this and does not want any part of a lawsuit seeking to force MSP to actually follow the law.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Almost sounds like ATF tried to justify the current MSP ban on SBRs<29" as copy cats and could not do it! Why because its not a correct legal ban given the way the law is written. We have MSP making this up and we are getting a legal opinion from someone who is not a lawyer, but a state trooper. Since they can't seem to make sense of those whole mess, they are just scared to allow anything past as they don't understand what they are missing. As much as they want "A semiautomatic centerfire rifle" to include a SBR, it doesn't. I bet ATF sees this and does not want any part of a lawsuit seeking to force MSP to actually follow the law.

Agree. Of course, the danger is that the AG office steps into this mess and we get an even more ridiculous interpretation.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Agree. Of course, the danger is that the AG office steps into this mess and we get an even more ridiculous interpretation.

In some ways the worse and more ridiculous it gets, the better as it makes it more clear in court that they are just making things up. That said, you need a lawsuit to reverse it and who knows if that will ever happen and could be years. I just don't see how this less than 29" thing is going to stand. Its just going to cause to many issues. MSP was correct the first time when they said FSA did not touch NFA. They should have stuck with it. I would still not be shocked to see MSP reverse themselves on this. The trouble they are having with this just can not be worth it and with no end in sight....

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    In some ways the worse and more ridiculous it gets, the better as it makes it more clear in court that they are just making things up. That said, you need a lawsuit to reverse it and who knows if that will ever happen and could be years. I just don't see how this less than 29" thing is going to stand. Its just going to cause to many issues. MSP was correct the first time when they said FSA did not touch NFA. They should have stuck with it. I would still not be shocked to see MSP reverse themselves on this. The trouble they are having with this just can not be worth it and with no end in sight....
    I dunno. The MSP had the perfect opportunity to back off on the issue when EA filed the lawsuit about copycats and SBRs, and they decided it was worth their time (and our money) to fight it. Maybe they'll turn around on it, but it's gonna be a while.

I really think the "Frosh did it" conspiracy theory is completely unsupported. He's not AG, the BATFE isn't going to care what he thinks until he is.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    I would still not be shocked to see MSP reverse themselves on this. The trouble they are having with this just can not be worth it and with no end in sight....
    MSP's troubles are of little consequence to the AG however.

If having MSP look like fools by changing opinions all the time (or sticking with ridiculous ones) serves to keep "guns out of peoples hands" for a longer period, I'm sure thats a price the AG is willing to pay. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom