• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Does anyone have experience reconfiguring the deactivated folded stock on a PPS43-C to make it fully functional again?

I just ordered one of these semi-auto pistols of Beelzebub and I'd like to know what's required--both in parts and legalities--to end up with a properly functioning stock (I've no interest in returning it to automatic function....I just wanna be able to use the stock to shoot the thing in a safe manner).

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You will need to register it as a SBR before you do that, won't you?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    That would def make it an SBR. That's why they deactivated the folding stock in the first place. $200 tax stamp.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Needs to be SBR'd. Someone will come along soon to chime in on their methods of re-activating the stock. I'm in the process of trying to SBR mine.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Form 1 with $200 check to ATF (less than 16" barrel). I believe that some machining is necessary for the stock's locking mechanism in the receiver. I am not sure if the stock is reusable after being welded closed. I think I have some spare stocks off parts kits if you want to buy one as a functioning assembly.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    either has to be registered a a short barrel rifle first

or

the barrel must be made longer, by permanently attaching an extension to make the barrel over 16" and the entire firearm longer than md's legal limit.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Form 1 with $200 check to ATF (less than 16" barrel). I believe that some machining is necessary for the stock's locking mechanism in the receiver. I am not sure if the stock is reusable after being welded closed. I think I have some spare stocks off parts kits if you want to buy one as a functioning assembly.
    Okay, now we're getting somewhere.
    Re the form: Is Form 1 the one that's titled "Application to Make and Register a Firearm"? If so, I've got a copy, but I seem to recall the form required the firearm's serial number, which I won't have until I receive the gun. Or do you know if I can apply without the serial number?

Re the stock parts: I should probably wait 'til I receive the gun to see what's needed before I buy anything, but I'm definitely interested in the parts kit. Can you give me any details re cost and parts compliment of the kit?
    Thank you, Nate.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Does anyone have experience reconfiguring the deactivated folded stock on a PPS43-C to make it fully functional again?

I just ordered one of these semi-auto pistols of Beelzebub and I'd like to know what's required--both in parts and legalities--to end up with a properly functioning stock (I've no interest in returning it to automatic function....I just wanna be able to use the stock).

I am going to do this too....after I get my tax stamp. :) I remember reading something were all you have to do is swap with a functioning stock from a parts kit. I also ordered a parts kit, Centerfire systems for $50 (no mag of course) and should have that in a few days. For the same price you can get one with a surplus 35 rnd mag but will need to be sent out of state of course.

I am getting a trust set up and then will do the stamp then swap parts.

Shooting it without the stock is not the easiest thing which is why everyone puts one of the slings on and uses that to add a bit of stability.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    This isn't C&R, but I think you're like me an just really like the C&R section :D
    Yeah, I'm definitely a vintage kinda guy (and not just re firearms).

Technically, having originally been manufactured in the 40s, the gun should be C&R. But, sadly, because the conversion (from sub-machine gun to semi-auto pistol) was done recently, Maryland now defines these as modern handguns and lists them on the MD Handgun Roster of regulated firearms. So, in order to buy one, I need to go through the same criminalizing routine that any other law-abiding Maryland citizen must deal with to benefit from our constitutionally-protected and inalienable right to keep (but generally not bear!) a gun.:sad20:

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Yeah, I'm definitely a vintage kinda guy (and not just re firearms).

Technically, having originally been manufactured in the 40s, the gun should be C&R. But, sadly, because the conversion (from sub-machine gun to semi-auto pistol) was done recently, Maryland now defines these as modern handguns and lists them on the MD Handgun Roster of regulated firearms. So, in order to buy one, I need to go through the same criminalizing routine that any other law-abiding Maryland citizen must deal with to benefit from my constitutionally-protected and inalienable right to keep (but generally not bear!) a gun.:sad20:

The one I have is a newly manufactured receiver (Pioneer Arms imported by I.O) that fires from a closed bolt. I had heard that many of the earlier models were built using old 40's era parts (barrels, etc. but new receivers). I was unable to confirm that.

Per Wiki (If you believe them):
    "In 2010, Pioneer Arms, of Radom, Poland, began producing a semi-auto only version of the PPS design, called the PPS-43c. The gun, sold with its stock fixed in the closed position, is legally considered a pistol in the United States. The gun is of a closed bolt, hammer fired, blow back operated design as opposed to the open-bolt design of the PPS-43. According to a report in the July 20, 2012 edition of Shotgun News, the PPS-43C utilizes many parts from unissued PPS-43 submachine guns mounted on new PPS-43C receivers."

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I am going to do this too....after I get my tax stamp. :) I remember reading something were all you have to do is swap with a functioning stock from a parts kit. I also ordered a parts kit, Centerfire systems for $50 (no mag of course) and should have that in a few days. For the same price you can get one with a surplus 35 rnd mag but will need to be sent out of state of course.
    You're probably right. Unfortunately, the dealer, Classic, wouldn't ship the mags to an out-of-state friend, so I'll have to acquire them separately (perhaps at the Chantilly show in a coupla weeks).

I am getting a trust set up and then will do the stamp then swap parts.
    I'll have to look into the trust option as well. Is there site that details the costs and procedure?

Shooting it without the stock is not the easiest thing which is why everyone puts one of the slings on and uses that to add a bit of stability.
    You can say that again. I shot a friend's PPS and to say it's unwieldy is putting it mildly. Disabling the stock on these guns is just another example of how ignorantly out-of-touch our law makers are. I mean, to take a very stable rifle and turn it into an unstable pistol in an effort to "make them less dangerous" is....well, I think anyone here knows where I'm going with this.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    The one I have is a newly manufactured receiver (Pioneer Arms imported by I.O) that fires from a closed bolt. I had heard that many of the earlier models were built using old 40's era parts (barrels, etc. but new receivers). I was unable to confirm that.
    My understanding is that all of these "C" PPS43s are a mixture of old (the basic gun) and new (the conversion) parts.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    By the way, for anyone who's unfamiliar, this is the guilty party and I'd love to see photos of the PPSs you guys already own:

Attachments

• pps_pistol.jpg
      pps_pistol.jpg
      77.6 KB · Views: 3,243

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    I have one in the arsenal. I also purchased a kit just in case I want to sir it and unlock the stock. If you do a google, you can find info about unlocking the stock. I thought it would be just easier to swap the parts.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Technically, having originally been manufactured in the 40s, the gun should be C&R.

Wha? Thats like saying an AR15 built w/ *vintage* Colt parts but on a new Spikes receiver should be C&R. The PPS43C receiver is brand new.

Anyway, here is my pic. You only need one part from the kit to convert it - the button. I just made a new one (and bought a spring from Ace hardware.)

Attachments

• IMAG0984.jpg
      IMAG0984.jpg
      59 KB · Views: 2,875

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Wha? Thats like saying an AR15 built w/ *vintage* Colt parts but on a new Spikes receiver should be C&R. The PPS43C receiver is brand new.

Anyway, here is my pic. You only need one part from the kit to convert it - the button. I just made a new one (and bought a spring from Ace hardware.)

Nice. What are you feeding it? How does it shoot? How long have you had the stamp? Sorry for all of the Q's. Kinda like a kid in a candy store. I might need to up my timeframe for the stamp.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I was under the impression they only modify the bolt and trigger assembly, leaving the OEM frame/receiver/barrel. No?

Nice, but whaddya do about the spot welds? Did you grind them off or did you have to replace some other parts?

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    I was under the impression they only change the bolt and trigger assembly, leaving the OEM receiver/barrel. No?

Nice, but whaddya do about the spot welds? Did you grind them off or did you have to replace some other parts?

I think only the early versions were spot welded. The later versions had the button modified so it wouldn't work.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think they have varied some as to when they were imported and how the mods were made. I looked at mine a bit and it didn't look like an easy swap of parts.

Rick at Glade Hill did some conversions and IIRC he also said it was a bit more to it than he thought.

I am on the fence about doing it. I think it's neat but just not sure its worth the hassle and tax stamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom