• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joshvictus

2GOG
    Jul 8, 2014
    Annapolis
    Hey guys.

Long story short, a friend and I want to start a YouTube channel. The friend happens to be a Republican candidate for Dist. 46 Delegate.

Originally he pitched the idea to me like this: I'm always doing range videos on my personal youtube channel and he's deeply involved in politics. The premise would be to have me cover everything hands-on gun related, and him cover news, politics, etc. All of the stuff we see now days online is either strictly one or the other (at least from what I've seen).

I'm just curious to see what you guys would like to see that isn't just more of the same run-of-the-mill gun reviews and shooting videos. I have a few clever/unique ideas in mind but don't have a niche quite yet with how we want to go about it. Also what issues and news-related topics would everyone rather see?

Joshvictus

2GOG
    Jul 8, 2014
    Annapolis
    I'd like to check it out , give some more info when you get it up & running , I'm sure a lot of guys here would show some support ...

Thanks. As of yet I have the youtube page created but no videos. Hopefully going to get some video tomorrow.

The name we're going with is "2 Guys on Guns" or 2GOG

One of the topics I plan on discussing earlier on is one I haven't heard anyone mention. I'm someone who's nearsighted, so in the event of a home intruder or similar event there's an extra step required in my preparedness. My 0-ready speed is slowed due to that so it's a question of how/what I should train for.

I'd like to angle the videos to almost end in a discussion fashion, which I could maybe even base around threads here on this forum asking you guys. For example, that video would end with the question of is it better to train and shoot without my corrective lenses, ONLY with corrective lenses, or both?

Of course I'll have some gun review videos as well. For these I'm trying to take a little more of a comedic, yet still mostly educational angle. I have a lot of friends new to shooting or that are just casual shooters who I get a lot of questions from, so these will almost be a form of answering some beginner based topics (just in a more specific set of circumstances or questions).

Joshvictus

2GOG
    Jul 8, 2014
    Annapolis
    Quite a task to get something sized properly for a damn YouTube banner. Here are some things I ended up with tinkering with some ideas.

Attachments

• 2gog_banner.jpg
      2gog_banner.jpg
      40.4 KB · Views: 352
    • 2gog_youtube.jpg
      2gog_youtube.jpg
      75.9 KB · Views: 280
    • 2gog_youtubesmall.jpg
      2gog_youtubesmall.jpg
      26.7 KB · Views: 292

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    One of the topics I plan on discussing earlier on is one I haven't heard anyone mention. I'm someone who's nearsighted, so in the event of a home intruder or similar event there's an extra step required in my preparedness. My 0-ready speed is slowed due to that so it's a question of how/what I should train for.

Son of a gun I was just thinking the same thing recently. I'm nearsighted (not terribly so) I can see well enough from one side of my house to the other. But I've often wondered if it would be worth drilling to grab my glasses and my pistol if I needed to defend my home from a sound sleep. Or just forego the glasses and rely on my pistol light.

As long as my wife is beside me in bed then anyone else in the house is an intruder.

I like it. Once you're up and running I'll subscribe for sure.
    Good luck!

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    Also. Personally I think every firearms channel on youtube should start with the basic safety course. Treat it as if it's loaded, safe direction, finger off the trigger etc.

I think that goes a really long way towards showing your subscribers that you're serious about the sport and serious about safety and lends to your credibility as someone who's advice can be taken.

Joshvictus

2GOG
    Jul 8, 2014
    Annapolis
    Also. Personally I think every firearms channel on youtube should start with the basic safety course. Treat it as if it's loaded, safe direction, finger off the trigger etc.

I think that goes a really long way towards showing your subscribers that you're serious about the sport and serious about safety and lends to your credibility as someone who's advice can be taken.

Definitely outlining a good safety video that will probably also include a LOT of range etiquette things, some of which may even be opiniated and open for discussion.

I was even at small arms yesterday stuck next to a couple of would-be thugs popping off rounds as quickly as possible. One would shoot as the other would be hopping around behind him like a bad hype man, both of them yelling things at the top of their lungs. Caught me off guard at first because I thought it was someone calling a cease fire or something, it was just a bad and potential "cry wolf" scenario.

There's really only 2 things I do leisurely in public facilities that idiots (or even just unknowing/ignorant people) always seem to pluck my nerves doing - drag racing and range time. Track etiquette (or lack thereof) there's a bit more of an excuse for I suppose. Hell, even bowling next to a lane of newbies can drive me up a wall.

Joshvictus

2GOG
    Jul 8, 2014
    Annapolis
    Well, a little bit of a milestone. All of the equipment I've ordered for filming is in and in working order. Facebook page is up and running (I'll post a link), and we're due to start filming in the next couple of weeks.

So far all of the range stuff has been shot with a phone so it's not top notch but will do the job for now. Needless to say, expect quality improvements as we chug along.

Here's the facebook link:
    https://www.facebook.com/2GuysOnGuns

Joshvictus

2GOG
    Jul 8, 2014
    Annapolis
    http://youtu.be/db97dSLcCYk?list=UUx4mo982ITN1of4CptnG74w

Alright guys, first mini video is up. Expect more videos with better, more in-depth content. We wanted to put something small out there just because.

Like, share and subscribe if you please. Tell us what you want to see us do/ discuss next. We've got quite a list of things we plan on doing, the videos will all be pretty different until we can find our niche and figure out how we want to go about doing each segment.

We have the domain www.2GuysOnGuns.com secured but as of right now it just links to my co-host's political page. Still, check that out if/when you get a chance.

Joshvictus

2GOG
    Jul 8, 2014
    Annapolis
    That’s great that your setting up a You Tube channel! Chevellenut and I just started one too. We call ourselves 2A Guys And Gear.

It seems like setting things up and getting the hang of videoing and editing takes a little time, but once you’ve done it a few times it gets easier.

Our YT channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjJxCl3_WXQCxpO4KAmF-Wg

Good luck!

Thanks - subb'd to yours on both my channels.

Definitely trying to figure out how we want to go about things (including the editing process and all that jazz). I'm working with Final Cut Pro but also have After Effects. I was thinking because I'm extremely familiar with the usual Adobe creative suite that Ae would be easy... but that was not true haha.

I have a friend that runs an audio engineering/ recording business putting together some general background filler music as well. I plan to add in narrative bits for the shooting parts of the videos (waiting on the blue yeti microphone I ordered to come in). Then for the more politically driven parts I'll be doing with my co-host I have an actual mic/camera/lighting setup I've invested in which is also going to take some time to learn and work with.

YouTube reviews and tutorials have been my friend for the past few weeks needless to say:D

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Thanks - subb'd to yours on both my channels.

Definitely trying to figure out how we want to go about things (including the editing process and all that jazz). I'm working with Final Cut Pro but also have After Effects. I was thinking because I'm extremely familiar with the usual Adobe creative suite that Ae would be easy... but that was not true haha.

I have a friend that runs an audio engineering/ recording business putting together some general background filler music as well. I plan to add in narrative bits for the shooting parts of the videos (waiting on the blue yeti microphone I ordered to come in). Then for the more politically driven parts I'll be doing with my co-host I have an actual mic/camera/lighting setup I've invested in which is also going to take some time to learn and work with.

YouTube reviews and tutorials have been my friend for the past few weeks needless to say:D

Thanks, were subscribing to yours as well :thumbsup:

So far we just using the Microsoft video editor that came with my PC. Its working ok for now, but hopefully in time we can upgrade to something else.

What camera are you guys using? Chevellnut just picked up a nice Cannon HD camera that we use. I don’t remember which model number it is, but it works great

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks. As of yet I have the youtube page created but no videos. Hopefully going to get some video tomorrow.

The name we're going with is "2 Guys on Guns" or 2GOG

In a home defense/invasion scenario you won't have time to worry about sighting in, let alone grabbing glasses. You need to start point shooting/instinct shooting. You won't be taking random pot shots at each other down the hallway and around corners. It will be a full on, close quarter force on force, so you can forget about any sort of aimed fire.

Joshvictus

2GOG
    Jul 8, 2014
    Annapolis
    Thanks, were subscribing to yours as well :thumbsup:

So far we just using the Microsoft video editor that came with my PC. Its working ok for now, but hopefully in time we can upgrade to something else.

What camera are you guys using? Chevellnut just picked up a nice Cannon HD camera that we use. I don’t remember which model number it is, but it works great

I have an older Nikon D3100 we'll be using that I have a couple of different lenses for, also just picked up a top-mounted shotgun mic to get the audio. I have a ton of random music stands too which I'm thinking we'll use to mount the mic a bit closer but still out of frame.

I don't really plan on shooting in full 1080p HD as it just makes the file size crazy. I've had 10min stuff I've tried exporting from Final Cut that ends up being a freggin 2gig file if you keep it in full HD. Not interested in that unless the channel takes off and makes it worth it lol.

In a home defense/invasion scenario you won't have time to worry about sighting in, let alone grabbing glasses. You need to start point shooting/instinct shooting. You won't be taking random pot shots at each other down the hallway and around corners. It will be a full on, close quarter force on force, so you can forget about any sort of aimed fire.

This was my initial thought, but then take into account the various/endless layouts of different households. I'm on the 4th floor of my house where I can see all the way down to the front door. Even if I get down to the 3rd floor, there's still a ton more stair climbing an intruder would have to do to get up to me even partially close. I could easily take carefree shots, as I'd be shooting straight down where the only possible target is the floor and the intruder.

My issue is that anything past arms length is blurry, not to mention the 'I probably just woke up' and it possibly being dark factors in the situation. Because of this, I do sometimes squeeze off a few mags with my bedside gun without my corrective lenses when at the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom