What are the "Camping Essentials" for the newbie camping family?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hey All,

I have been sitting on about $250 worth of REI Gift Cards from Christmas, and I hear they are having their Anniversary Sale, so I'm finally taking the plunge and investing in our first "camping kit."

Question is, what should I get!? We have a nice 10 person tent from Costco, and 1 Coleman double sleeping bag which the misses and I bought before we had kids, and a lodge cast iron pan we use every day, but now I need to build a camping kit that will support myself, the wife, and two boys, ages 3yrs and 6yrs old.

I freely admit, I'm an urbanite, and know nothing about camping. The few times I have gone in the past, I've been lucky enough to have some experienced folks who just had me bring food, water, or firewood.

If it helps, we'll probably start out Cabin Camping - Mantoaka Beach, then graduate to Beach Car Camping, and then once the kids and the misses will tolerate it, full on Beach and Woodland camping by tent.

So, if you were going to REI with $250, and needed all the "essentials" for camping other than a tent, what would you buy first? The selection is overwhelming for someone not in the know!!!

As an aside, I'm also interested in any suggestions for newbie camper forums that may have more tips and tricks.

Thanks in advance!!!

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    A pad (foam or air, depending on your age) to put under the sleeping bag.

A backpackable stove that can burn white gas or other fuels (I have an old MSR international). If car camping, a portable two burner stove and a nonstick griddle and spatula. gas for stove.

A water filter so you can get water from a spring, and a dirty and clean container.

Some nonstick, nesting pots and soap and utensils and a cup.

Bug spray.

Some rope and a bag in case you have to hang your food out of bear reach

Bear spray and bells so when they ranger inspects the bear scat after the attack, they know it was you.

can opener

GORP

food like ramen noodle cups that you can pour boiling water into

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Here are a few good lists, you'll notice many repetitions
    remember, smaller is USUALLY better but not always (the smaller items are, the more you can bring)

In some instances, bring EXACTLY how much you need, for example PLAN your food and snacks, etc. it's ok to bring a LITTLE more than you need but not a LOT
    Things like pots, pans and utensils....bring what you are going to use not the entire kitchen, but remember, you do need things like spatulas, Lg spoons, etc

ORGANIZE!!
    I have my stuff organized for "car" camping into tupperware type containers, one is all kitchen/cooking stuff, another has my air mattress, sleeping bags, throw rugs for inside the tent, etc

Don't forget a small brush and dustpan to clean out the tent before packing it up
    Also i mentioned throw rugs, go CHEAP, but it's nice to keep the dirt down inside the tent and gives you a place near the door to keep your shoes

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Timeless-Miniatures-Fringe-Rug/33051157

Some lists

http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/checklists.htm

http://www.coleman.com/checklists/tent-camping-checklist/

http://www.seattlesundries.com/blogs/news/11735449-family-camping-essentials-list

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    A good first aid kit.
    Totes with good lids to keep your clothes and stuff dry if it rains.
    A good two burner camping stove
    sleeping bags for the kids + some extra blankets.
    Soap, portable shower, towels, wash clothes, small wash basin (plastic), TP.
    I would suggest plasticware and paper plates for eating, as it is real easy to sick if you don't have hot water for cleaning the dishes.

If you want to make the wife happy a portable toliet.
    Flash lights, camp lanterns.
    The list can go on and on depending on how much the family wants to rough it or not.

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    Sounds like the first thing you need to get is a pair of sleep bags for the kids. Shouldn't be too much money, and may want to get a cheap pair not at REO. I would recommend a good flashlight/lantern. And naturally a knife. Para Cord, waterproof matches are good to have. I agree on the stove as well. Iused to have a smaller 5lb propane tank that I bought a "propane tree" for essentially screws into tank and extends vertically like 3ft. Has outlets to attach a hose to so you can run your stove. The top is also threaded for a propane lantern, think a street light. Great for games in the dark. Id also think about getting a hatchet and saw or something to cut wood for a fire. Everyone loves fire and that will keep the kids wanting to come back, Ill let the other chime in, but good gear is expensive, but also worth it.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    :cool:

Prevost_mowen_520_0016.jpg

Dec 31, 2012
    Everyone should have a small pocket flashlight and a walkie talkie.

Wife walks to the bathouse with the kids and you can easily stay in contact.
    Kid wanders a little too far and you can call them.
    Someone gets hurt out of your range of sight and they can call you.
    etc..

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Many years ago, my wife and I wanted to start camping.

My supervisor (may he Rest in Peace) said, "Son, the best camping is done at a Hilton or Marriott. All you need is a Visa or American Express."

Our camping 'kit' was built from trial/error.

• Tarp. Get one big enough to cover your tent + 1/2 larger. (Our tarp will almost touch the ground, all the way around the tent!) We went camping on a Memorial Day weekend, for my youngest son's Open Water Scuba Certification, and it POURED the first night.
    Our tarp lashed over our gear and tent made certain that we were the ONLY ones with a dry site.
    Along with the tarp comes rope. Paracord or woven 1/8" to 1/4" rope. No less than 50'. 100' is better.
    Tarp 'clamps' and bungee cords are handy, too.

• Firestarters. Cheap firestarters use cardboard egg carton, wood shavings/sawdust and melted wax. Pack each 'cradle' with sawdust/wood shavings and pour the melted wax over it, locking the wood in place.
    Break off one 'egg cradle' and it burns hot and long.

• Waterproofed matches. (See first item.)

• Coleman camp stove and larger bottle of propane. We had the only camp kitchen at that Scout Camp. (So much for "Be Prepared".):lol2:
    Everyone came over for breakfast, each day.
    Coffee was going before 0600. I woke up the adults with that wonderful coffee aroma.

• Charcoal. (For use with Dutch Oven.)

• Don't forget food!!!!! Vary the menu.
    With this, I'll add Lodge Dutch Oven.
    Potatos, bacon, cheese. (You can also add sliced onions, if you want!)
    In a skillet, cook the bacon, crispy. Separate the bacon and break into bite-sized pieces.
    Slice/cut up potatos and place in the Dutch Oven. Layer potatos, cheese, bacon. Repeat until the Dutch Oven is almost full.
    Pour a LITTLE of the bacon grease over the top.
    Bake at 350° for 1 hour. (Don't forget to turn the Dutch Oven one direction 90° and the lid the opposite direction, every 15 minutes, to keep the heat even.)
    This disappears quickly when served.

• Friends!!!!! There's nothing quite like sitting around a campfire, roasting marshmellows (or making Smores!) for the kids, and the adults RELAXING!!!!!!

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    You tell where I can buy one of those with $250 in REI gift cards and I will buy you one also

Little tough to get on the Appalachin Trail.....but after this weekend..I'm sure Ray would appreciate one also!!!!!!

Make mine blue, please :rofl:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You can literally spend as much or as little as you wish. What makes a big difference is how you set your parameters.

REI has quality stuff , and primarily backpacking oriented. I know you specifically mentioned Gift Cards , but a complete outfit from REI will be pricier than getting much of it from Wally World , or your local Surplus Store.

I will use my spidey sense , and predict what you really want to start out would be : *Car Camping at at least a semi-developed camp site* I will also predict you already have a cooler , and possably some picnic stuff. Under those parameters you need :

Sleeping bags for kids.

Foam pads for everyone.

Somthing like the old BSA Patrol Cook Kit , with small pot , and plates inside a big pot , with the lid doubling as frying pan.

A means of lighting of some sort. This can be as cheap as a cpl of $5 battery lanterns from WM.

A water jug.

A means to cook. A yard sale Coleman 2 burner is fine , or a new mfg equiv.

Start out going to campgrounds that already have a picnic table , and a flush or vault toilet within walking distance.

If you already have folding lawn chairs , bring them , but not mandatory to run out to buy first.

Go out and do it. Once you have a cpl trips under your belt , you will know what ( if any ) extras are important to you. Everybody doesn't have the same priorities and preferences , and you can't bring everything all at the same time.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    My advice for car camping:

1. A cheap separate tent for the kids (they can come in yours if it really starts raining)

2. A few cheap tarps from Harbor Freight, one for above tent (if necessary), one for below, and one for over picnic table

3. Large mosquito net for over picnic table

4. A dual-burner propane stove (I have a couple of coleman ones)

5. Cheap (but thick) sleeping bags for the kids (get them nicer ones as the go)

6. A few mil-surplus (cheap and great quality) or other duffel bags to stuff everything in

7. Gas/propane lantern (I have propane ones- great for lighting up camp site)

8. Headlamps for everyone! (cheap ones for the kids and nicer ones for adults with plenty of lumens)

9. Glow sticks for the kids (helps them from getting lost at night)

10. Radios (cell reception isn't always the best)

11. A couple of coolers and plenty of ice/cooler packs (I pack mine chronologically so I don't have to open until ALL of the contents will get used)

12. Propane filler kit if you really get into it (fills small tanks from bigger tanks)

13. Folding chairs (I bought mine for $7 a piece at sports authority)

14. Foam sleeping pads (I LOVE the mil surplus ones, insulate MUCH better than thing air mattresses)

15. 1 Million candle power rechargeable spotlight (VERY cheap these days and help in finding lost kids/camp site/etc)

16. 12V/110V converter- never know when you'll need some electricity

17. $15 solar shower depending on location/time of year

18. Plenty of rope! (I buy at Harbor Freight on sale)

19. Hammer/hatchet and machete- useful for setting up camp

20. If camping on beach, I bring LOTS of plastic grocery bags- fill with sand and use to stake down tent

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom