• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Just to stir the pot. Based on this story, I fail to see what being a Vet had to do with this case. Maybe Mr Simonelli wanted to block him in while he called the police and was approaching the Hummer to tell him so. The story didn't indicate that he had a weapon of any sort. Why was the defendant driving like he was, drugs possibly? Just playing devils advocate here and would like to know the whole story. There must be more to it than I'm reading or he wouldn't have been found not guilty. I'm pretty sure blocking someone into a parking space is not kosher unless a serious crime is involved though. Amounts to kidnapping I think. Pretty piss poor writing by the newspaper reporter. So let the all Vets are God hate start falling my way now I guess. BTW I have an Honorable Discharge from 1970 and will leave it at that.

This reminds me of the time a couple years I was pulling into a parking lot and a guy and his wife and kid come barreling the wrong way, leaving me hanging out in the road. When I blew my horn he came running up and banged on my window totally enraged so I guess if I had a CCW I could have shot him? He was about 35 I was 60. Wonder how this would have played out in a MD court. Figured it was easier to back up when traffic broke up than to pepper spray him, cal 911 and possibly face a charge. IMO I was definitely being assaulted.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Just to stir the pot. Based on this story, I fail to see what being a Vet had to do with this case. Maybe Mr Simonelli wanted to block him in while he called the police and was approaching the Hummer to tell him so. The story didn't indicate that he had a weapon of any sort. Why was the defendant driving like he was, drugs possibly? Just playing devils advocate here and would like to know the whole story. There must be more to it than I'm reading or he wouldn't have been found not guilty. I'm pretty sure blocking someone into a parking space is not kosher unless a serious crime is involved though. Amounts to kidnapping I think. Pretty piss poor writing by the newspaper reporter. So let the all Vets are God hate start falling my way now I guess. BTW I have an Honorable Discharge from 1970 and will leave it at that.

Depends on state law.

Maryland? Not kidnapping. That's when someone is forcibly (or through fraud) taken away.

It might fall under false imprisonment, which is common law in Maryland, basically being unlawful to intentionally detain a person. But in circumstances like blocking someone in a parking spot, the blocking party could have a good samaritan argument (think DUI, reckless driving, etc where the public safety could be endangered) against the false imprisonment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom