• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I was on vacation last week at my in laws. They have a nice 200yd backstop on one of their fields. I took my 16" AR-15 with me to give it a shot. A little background, I've never shot at anything over 25 yards away. I got a 4-12x Redfield scope for the occasion (thanks Dan!) and sighted it in at 50 yards. I then moved up the hill and used a bench to shoot from. After a little tweaking with some match ammo I was able to keep 20 rounds on an 8" target (barely). I was expecting a lot better accuracy. Am I skill or gun limited at that range?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Doesn't sound too bad for 200yds, especially if you've never shot beyond 25yds. Remember an AR carbine is a combat weapon meant to hit man-sized targets.

You could definitely improve with practice.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    "Match ammo"?? What ammo was it? Bullet weight? Rate of twist of the barrel? Wind conditions? Was the scope mounted correctly? Did you have a solid shooting platform or position?

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    I was on vacation last week at my in laws. They have a nice 200yd backstop on one of their fields. I took my 16" AR-15 with me to give it a shot. A little background, I've never shot at anything over 25 yards away. I got a 4-12x Redfield scope for the occasion (thanks Dan!) and sighted it in at 50 yards. I then moved up the hill and used a bench to shoot from. After a little tweaking with some match ammo I was able to keep 20 rounds on an 8" target (barely). I was expecting a lot better accuracy. Am I skill or gun limited at that range?

no disrespect, but you are skill limited. Even 55gr factory loaded rounds should be able to hold 8" target easily at 200yds from a bench with a magnified optic (unless you are shooting in a wind storm).

I would bet your trigger pull isn't there. Focus on smooth pull and don't release the trigger until you feel the BCG reset the trigger. Finger never comes off the trigger either, until you want to stop shooting. Same thing with the cheek weld. Everything the same, every time. Nice and smooth.

:party29:

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    What really helps me with long range AR shooting (bench or prone) is having my thumb on the right side of the grip (I'm right handed). It's best illustrated by watching this video, you'll see a shooter doing it in the first few seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKP5hg-B1N8

The magpul videos explained it like this: it's hard to just move your trigger finger and not have the thumb move slightly too. Practice doing a trigger pull at home without holding a gun - just watch your fingers, even if your thumb doesn't move when you practice a trigger pull, you'll feel it tighten up. That little bit of movement translates to a lot at long ranges. For some reason this isn't as much of an issue if it's on the right side.

Doing this grip and practicing trigger follow through like the other poster stated has helped me.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    69gr bthp prvi ammo 1:9 twist barrel

I was shooting from a table, the barrel was on a rest and the grip was resting on a sand bag.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Never rest the barrel on anything while shooting.
    +1. I doubt this was the OP's entire problem, but it might have been part of it.

The trigger matters quite a bit, too. A tuned 2-stage trigger is going to be easier to shoot with than a heavier military-style trigger. As Krunkle mentioned, it's real easy to tighten your thumb and throw off your aim a bit with a heavy trigger.

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    Next time you go long range shooting. Do some dry firing and see if your trigger pull is moving the reticle a lot.

And definitely go shooting with some other shooters, maybe they'll pick up on something you're not aware of.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    The trigger matters quite a bit, too. A tuned 2-stage trigger is going to be easier to shoot with than a heavier military-style trigger. As Krunkle mentioned, it's real easy to tighten your thumb and throw off your aim a bit with a heavy trigger.

^ THIS. What type of trigger do have in the gun and how heavy is it?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    4 MOA accuracy from an M-4 at 200 yards? That's actually not bad. Even if the ammo says Match, your rifle may not like it. M-4s are not supposed to be sub-MOA.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    A little trick I learned in the service was to have the tip of my nose touching the charging handle. That way cheek weld is consistent from shot to shot. As others said try diffrent ammo too yours may not like what you were shooting.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    ^ THIS. What type of trigger do have in the gun and how heavy is it?

I have a spikes tactical battle trigger in it. The pull is still pretty stiff, but it doesn't have any take-up now that I put the adjuster screw in it. I'm thinking of getting a lighter spring for it.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Shooting groups at distance takes some practice.

I agree with what a lot of the responses are saying, but, I need to add:

"Aim small. Miss small."

In other words. . . . IF you are shooting at an 8" paper plate, you are going to be aiming at an 8" target.

Now, IF you put a 2" 'dot' in the center of that 8" plate, you will concentrate on the 2" 'dot', which WILL cause you to be more accurate.

Just like hunting. Don't aim at the deer. Aim at a particular HAIR, on the shoulder of that deer.

Example:

This is a target fired at St. Charles Sportsman's Club, by me.
    Colt Sporter Match H-BAR.
    3 shots. 100 yards. Open sights. Off of sandbags.
    Handloads. Sierra 69 gr BTHP MatchKing, using H-335 powder, in Winchester cases, Federal 205M primers.
    (Group measures 5/16" center-to-center.)

CIMG0520.jpg

Granted, this group was fired a BUNCH of years ago, when my eyesight was good.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have a spikes tactical battle trigger in it. The pull is still pretty stiff, but it doesn't have any take-up now that I put the adjuster screw in it. I'm thinking of getting a lighter spring for it.

I have one of these too in one of my carbines; I personally feel they are over hiped by Spikes. They are smoother than a typical mil spec trig but still a good 5.5lbs. Some lighter JP springs or a RRA two stage will probably tighten up your groups; 8" is horrible at 200.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I would say an average AR in somewhat competent hands should be able to hold 2 moa at 200 yards. That is 4 inch groups.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have one of these too in one of my carbines; I personally feel they are over hiped by Spikes. They are smoother than a typical mil spec trig but still a good 5.5lbs. Some lighter JP springs or a RRA two stage will probably tighten up your groups; 8" is horrible at 200.
    You have to understand what you're getting with the STBT; the trigger is excellent, the springs are standard mediocrity. It would not have been wise of them to package the trigger with light JP springs, given that these have functional issues in some scenarios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom