• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Curious.....by what standards do you judge a rifle to be a good "SHTF Rifle?" Caliber? Mag capacity? DIstance? Knock Down power? SBR? etc etc?

I know when I say rifle it includes shotguns but I put shotguns in a "SHTF Shotgun" catagories of its own. So lets keep shotty's out of this?

What are you standards?
    What is your ideal SHTF Rifle?
    What is YOUR SHTF Rifle?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Standards for me -

Reliability - has to go bang every time, within reason, parts wear/break.

Accuracy - I want to hit my intended target as accurately as possible as often as possible.

Capacity - If I need to carry ammo, the more I can carry easily, the better. High-cap mags are also a plus.

Power - enough to neutralize a threat, but not so much I worry about unintended damage from the round blowing thru the target.

Caliber - open to debate, everyone has their preference, but a commonly available round is my preference.

My first choice, AR - ammo is widely available, the weight is manageable (even with some attachments), and the accuracy is there. Some may say the cartridge is underpowered, but there's a lot of people not breathing anymore because of that round, so I feel good with it.

Second choice, AK - 7.62x39 is also widely available, accuracy is 'good enough' to drop threats, good power, high-cap mags.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Yet another great topic.

In this fantasy category Id like a bullpup, in a common caliber, where spare parts and extra mags (did I mention ammo) is widely and commonly available. So 5.56, .308 NATO, maybe a 9mm carbine if high capacity and decent accuracy out to 50 yards.

I'm going with good AR with collapsable stock.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Mine would be my done up Colt.

Colt 6940 Carbine
    Streamlight mounted in Larue offset
    ACOG TA33 GH (I'll be laughing at you guys looking for batteries)
    Magpul VFG
    Plenty-O-PMAGS

More accurate then I'll ever need. No failures that I've ever had. Stupid simple. Low recoil. 30 tries to get a lethal hit. The wife can use it. And it's relatively lightweight.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Personal choice is an Ak in 7.62X39mm. Just a preference that I'm very comfortable shooting. Ammo is cheap enough to practice often, hi-cap mags, ease of operation, reliability, bullet energy and accuracy that I can depend on out to ranges that you would find in this area typically less then 300 yards. I have no use for a rifle that accurately goes to 600+ yards because there are precious few area around here that make it necessary. If I lived in a more "open range" area then I might do an AR in 6.5G or .5.56 or upgrade to an FAL in .308..

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I cant decide I would have a truck bed full until the truck broke down . Then a wagon full til the wagon wore out . Then what ever my son can carry til the whinning gets on my nerves .

That said when we had the hurricane and I was without power for a few days the AR was always within arms reach .

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Reliability is probably the most important to me. Second is caliber. I want something with enough power to stop threats but it also needs to be able to defeat barriers that said threat may be behind and still have enough energy left to do the job. Accuracy is next on my list. I dont need a sub moa tack driver here so anything 3moa or under should do. Lastly is mag capacity . I plan to avoid confrontation so a 99rd drum isnt a priority. Whats more important is the ease of reloading and that the weapon lock back on the last round. I promise you under fire you will not be counting how many times you pulled the trigger and hearing a click because you are empty could cost you your life. All that said my primary shtf rifle is my Springfield M1a scout.

Nov 13, 2011
    Bethesda, MD
    Depends on how much shit hits the fan. If we're talking surviving in the wild for an extended period of time it has to be my Ruger 10/22 take-down. Good for small game, you can carry a ton of ammo, tons of ammo available, its accurate and easy to operate. Those factors are incredibly important if you're out on foot.

For defense its an FNP-40 and a carbine length AR15 in 5.56 with collapsible stock. Both these would also be my hunker down and wait for order to be restored firearms.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    For emergency with no time to react: M1 Garand
    -I have a whole can of M2 loaded onto enblocs ready to grab and go. M1 always goes bang.

Prolonged event, possibly requiring a move: AR-15 14.5" carbine.
    -Magazine and ammo compatibility with mil/leos/etc...
    -Lightweight, compact, versitile.

If I had one, a 7.62 AK (SGL21 or similar) might take the place of the AR.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    M1A.all the Way

since everyone nowadays is packing an Ar or AK... the ability to outrange others is a definite advantage. The ability to turn cover in concealment is also an added bonus.This advantage is almost like cheating. but In a gunfight... one must win, even if one has to cheat.

PMD354

I'm sticking with my AK47's, one for me and one for the wife. Good to 300 yards. Both have red dots scopes and the iron sights are fine up to 100 yards. Have plenty of 30 round mags and a 75 round drum. Sidearm for me Para-ordnance 45 auto and her a XDm in 9mm.

Nubz

Yankee Trash
    Mar 16, 2012
    If it uses real ammo and goes bang when you pull the trigger it can be useful

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    So many variables. Long term SHTF or short term?

Long term you have to go with rugged reliability and easy to find parts and ammo.

Short term (72 hours of hell or less and you have to be on the move) I stick with my 9mm AR. It's light to carry and I can't imagine an easier caliber to find if low on ammo. Won't do much long range but if you are 100yds away or more, I'm not engaging in a firefight, I'm running the other way.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    M1A.all the Way

since everyone nowadays is packing an Ar or AK... the ability to outrange others is a definite advantage. The ability to turn cover in concealment is also an added bonus.This advantage is almost like cheating. but In a gunfight... one must win, even if one has to cheat.

I'm on the M1A boat if defending the homestead. If I have to be on foot for a long period of time I don't want to lug around twice the weight and half the ammo.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I'm on the M1A boat if defending the homestead. If I have to be on foot for a long period of time I don't want to lug around twice the weight and half the ammo.

realistic SHTF for most folks near the DC Metro area and the burbs... is to bug in place. Wont be going anywhere for days, even weeks.minimal stuff to lug around. So.. taking out gangs armed with AR/AK/Shotguns/Pistols is a must and a priority ... You will be outnumbered.So, Personally, I will play dirty in a gunfight.. engaging targets at a distance, reaching out before they can reach you can be decisive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom