SBR AR-15, which cartridges if you could choose 3?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Your 3 favorite cartridges for a SBR

• .458 SOCOM

Votes: 11 22.4%
    • .300 AAC BLK

Votes: 40 81.6%
    • 6.8 SPC

Votes: 8 16.3%
    • .223 Wylde

Votes: 20 40.8%
    • OTHER - please post what and why if you have the time

Votes: 15 30.6%

• Total voters

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The title pretty much sums it all up. Among other things, I have the green light from my wife to apply for 3 tax stamps to build 3 SBR AR-15s. So, my issue is which cartridges to use for the builds. I have been leaning toward:

1) .458 SOCOM
    2) .300 AAC BLK
    3) 6.8mm SPC
    4) .223 Wylde (i.e., allows me to shoot both .223 Rem and 5.56mm Nato with the barrel)

What 3 cartridges would you choose for your first 3 SBR AR-15 builds? Pick 3 from the list and I am going to put an "other" option in the poll. If you choose other, I'd appreciate a post of what you would pick and why.

Thanks guys and gals.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I only picked one, .300 BlkOut.

Too many pluses for it.

I am considering a .458 SOCOM, but only because I may pick up a .45 can. :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    300 Blk....................deer
    5.56/223 (Rem)........people
    .50 Beowulf..............pigs

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    300 Blk....................deer
    5.56/223 (Rem)........people
    .50 Beowulf..............pigs
    50 Beo...for all three. People, pork and venison. Not cheap but if you're shooting it, you probably want it DRN.

223 Wylde is 2nd choice.

I've admittedly no experience with 300BO, so unqualified to recommend.

The 458 SOCOM is very interesting. May want to check ballistics against 50 Beo.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    .458 SOCOM for deer, pigs, people, carp, squirrels, and spiders.

Stuffing a bullet made for a .45-70 Trapdoor into the most evil semi-automatic killing machine mankind has ever known is what being an American is all about.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    If for just an SBR, hands down the 300BLK. That's the only one I picked for your poll.

If you wanted to do some long range hunting, the 6.8 has a big edge, but not for SBR.

50BEO and 458SOCOM are just too big and too expensive for my kind of shooting. Even the 300 is still a little on the pricy side.

300BLK is perfect for SBR, it was designed to use all/most of its powder at ~9", and can be suppressed beautifully.

If I had to pick something else, I'd go with 5.56, mostly because the gun and ammo are much less expensive, and parts are everywhere; but then again, 'parts everywhere' is an argument for 300BLK because it is a 5.56 all except the barrel and gas system (if you go gas). I'm now a fan of direct vice gas.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    .458 SOCOM for deer, pigs, people, carp, squirrels, and spiders.

Stuffing a bullet made for a .45-70 Trapdoor into the most evil semi-automatic killing machine mankind has ever known is what being an American is all about.

When are you going to change your avatar. JB Weld scares the crap out of me!:ohnoes:

J/K:D. Good luck tomorrow.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If they remove suppressors from the NFA list, I think I will be buying some. 9mm and something 7.62 are top of the list (covers 300BLK).

We have a better chance of BHO becoming a staunch Constitutionalist.

Maybe Trump can promise "A Suppressor On Every Gun".

That would ensure a 3% rise in his numbers.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    This!

6.8 and 6.5 bleh!

Thanks.

Think that pretty much confirms that I will be going with my initial three choices of .458 SOCOM, .300 AAC BLK, and .223 Wylde.

Was only going to do .300 and .223 initially, and then decided a couple weeks ago to do a third. Now, I just need to finish up this damn trust and figure out how to submit a Form 1 online. The amount of hoops is ridiculous.

Eventually, my FFL will talk me into a can or three. He works on me every time I go to the shop and he is whittling me down little by little.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Same to you.

Only one deer so far.

Never had a dry spell this bad.

Where are you hunting? Hard to believe that you have only gotten a single deer if you are spending any significant amount of time in the woods around central Maryland.

Then again, the season has been extremely warm. I have only deer hunted a single year where it was this warm and the results weren't good for hunting. Granted, they were still better than a single deer for the season, but they were dismal compared to other seasons when it was cold. Have not seen the geese and ducks moving around much either right now, which is good because that does not leave me depressed that I do not have the time to hunt right now.

Regardless, good luck.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Where are you hunting? Hard to believe that you have only gotten a single deer if you are spending any significant amount of time in the woods around central Maryland.

Then again, the season has been extremely warm. I have only deer hunted a single year where it was this warm and the results weren't good for hunting. Granted, they were still better than a single deer for the season, but they were dismal compared to other seasons when it was cold. Have not seen the geese and ducks moving around much either right now, which is good because that does not leave me depressed that I do not have the time to hunt right now.

Regardless, good luck.

Hunting the Herefordish Zone.

They are active 45 minutes before sunrise and 45 minutes after sunset.

They become ghosts during legal shooting hours.

I'm about to dig a hole in the ground, don a grass covered ghillie suit, and lay down in one of their bedding areas.

Time for operation Terminate Bambi.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have 9mm, 5.56mm, and .300 BLK. All are fun. Thinking of doing a .458 SOCOM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom