• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    And no , it is not new that the chosen privledged few with Handgun Permit can conceal a NFA type item with the suitable bbl length. Most people used an AOW type item without a buttstock to lend a wink and nod to "handgun" . But now MSP is explicitly allowing concealed NFA items with buttstocks also.

Holy moley...

They could NOT have intended that.

shot themselves in the ass???

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    I don't understand how some of these assertions can be made.

Can someone help me out here? I submitted my Form 1 via efile about a month and a half ago. I am planning on SBRing a HBAR Colt, and the OAL will be greater than 29. The only evil feature will be a flash hider. Am I good to go once I get my stamp because it is not an ALG?

Or will I need a 77r for this and HQL? How does that work? And are we still measuring with stocks extended?

aaronn

Aug 8, 2013
    Baltimore
    CMIIW, but I see nothing wrong with converting an already-owned lower or AR to an SBR as long as AOL is met. It only must be on the Roster "before it may
    be manufactured for distribution or sale, or sold or offered for sale in Maryland." Doesn't say you can't own it if it's not on the Roster.

I am not your lawyer.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    And, amazingly, they still managed to miss a big question: can SBRs ever be copies of ALGs?

Yes, nothing really surprising other than this glaring omission. It seems MSP "woke up" and now is implementing the roster that probably should have happened a long time ago.

In looking it over, pre Oct. 1 Form 1's still look good to go (no mention). Post Oct. 1 Form 1 HBAR AR's that are NOT copycat's (< 29") look good to go. Form 4's are likely going to be dead for AR's / AK's as I'd bet money the board won't approve them... but someone should at least submit a factory AR SBR A.S.A.P.

The AR pistol to SBR is an interesting question, but probably moot as most of them would be less than 29" OAL.

Kriss Vector's are out without an extended muzzle break.

-Jim

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Yes, nothing really surprising other than this glaring omission. It seems MSP "woke up" and now is implementing the roster that probably should have happened a long time ago.

In looking it over, pre Oct. 1 Form 1's still look good to go (no mention). Post Oct. 1 Form 1 HBAR AR's that are NOT copycat's (< 29") look good to go. Form 4's are likely going to be dead for AR's / AK's as I'd bet money the board won't approve them... but someone should at least submit a factory AR SBR A.S.A.P.

The AR pistol to SBR is an interesting question, but probably moot as most of them would be less than 29" OAL.

Kriss Vector's are out without an extended muzzle break.

-Jim

If you know of a shop with a DD MK18 I'll take one for the team and form 4 it.

Providing it is in fact legal to do that... I realize it may be shot down later...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    No point. I have a P556 SBR and a Glock 17 SBR waiting on form 4s. We can get a very quick response by trying to submit those to the roster.

Those are double plus fun because they're on the roster already. ;)

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    No point. I have a P556 SBR and a Glock 17 SBR waiting on form 4s. We can get a very quick response by trying to submit those to the roster.

Those are double plus fun because they're on the roster already. ;)

That's going to be a wicked barrel on that 30" Glock 17 SBR...

-Jim

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    That's going to be a wicked barrel on that 30" Glock 17 SBR...
    Both have pre-10/1 POs. The real problem here is how the roster board is going to handle it, and/or whether the MSP will decide that pre-10/1 guns have already been manufactured and sold. (Note that the roster law NEVER says anything about transfers.)

Technically speaking, the P556 is recoverable in a worst case scenario; I'd need to deregister it off the form 3, get back the upper, form 1 it, and then toss a muzzle brake on. It meets OAL.

The Glock is going to be a PITA in comparison.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Okay.... Here is what pisses me off.
    Since when does the executive branch (MDSP under the governer) get to make and interpret the law.

If I remember my Social Studies classes...
    Legislative - Make the law
    Executive - Enforces
    Judicial - Interprets

Why does MDSP get to do all three?
    Isn't that what a dictator does?

If the President can change the Obamacare law 37 times without anyone challenging it why not Governors? :mad54:

pc1256

Jan 21, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Item 2 under handgun definition is the interesting item there.

The government want to make new rules and change meanings of words too? :lol2:

Dictionary says "Handgun: a gun designed for use by one hand, especially a pistol or revolver." I would like to see someone using a shot gun or a rifle with one hand efficiently :innocent0

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    If the President can change the Obamacare law 37 times without anyone challenging it why not Governors? :mad54:

Apparently there are clauses in there that allow for executive action on deadlines for enrollment and enforcement.

Which means if we elect somebody 2016 we could technically choose not to enforce any of it until 2020.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Alright, I've been devoting some brainpower to this. I think I may have a solution for the "SBR-from-roster-pistol on form 4" scenario.

1. FFL creates SBR on form 3 from pistol.
    2. FFL submits form 4 to transfer to customer.
    3. FFL immediately removes stock from rifle, and maybe attaches a VFG. This weapon is now a handgun to MD, but an SBR to the BATFE.
    4. Form 4 comes back, FFL does 77r as normal handgun.
    5. 77r is approved because it's on the roster.
    6. Customer takes receipt of SBR, and separately, the stock.
    7. Customer reattaches stock.

So, step 3 works because the BATFE has ruled that if you start with a rifle, turning it into a pistol makes it an SBR. Obviously, starting with an SBR (there's no going back to a pistol once you've made one, AFAIK), the same thing applies. Maryland has never made such a claim - your gun is what it currently is, and AOWs are considered handguns according to the MD definition. Further, you are NOT required to tell the BATFE about changes in configuration to your SBR. So, this works.

Step 6 could be a little dicey, if only because there's now two manufacturers on the gun. I would argue the original manufacturer is reasonable to put down, and isn't violating the spirit of the law - especially when we're talking about MAKING an SBR.

The grandfathering clause in SB281 also makes this troublesome for pre-10/1 copycats because the transfer is being done as a roster handgun, not an assault weapon. That’s a thinker.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    So would a form 1 of a pre 10/1 lower me good to make an 11.5" barreled sbr with an overall length of 29.5?

I also have a form 1 on a walther mp5 22 out.

I'm interested to see how your glock sbr is handled.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom