• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I just go during the week in the afternoons (luxury of being self-employed).
    Never a wait and usually only a handful of others on the rifle range.

I've never seen Lucky the chipmunk on the pistol range, but I have been tempted to shoot at those carpenter bees that fly around under the baffles... "tempted" being the operative word here.

I was wonder what weekday crowds were like. Especially on the pistol range.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Cool, thanks. Got a couple friends who I've been trying to take shooting (one shooter, one non-shooter) and we all have the same day off finally.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Pistol range is empty about 50% of the time when I go during the week. Otherwise, 1 or 2 people in there.

Just remember they are closed Monday and Tuesday. I've forgotten and made that mistake :o

We went there last Friday. We got a late start and got there in the afternoon. Only 3 people on the pistol range when we arrived and maybe 6 shooting when we left. We liked it. The wife wants to go back next Friday. :party29:

DimaK

May 15, 2012
    Will go there Wednesday to sight in the new AK. Sounds as good as AGC. Any opinions on how it compares to AGC?

winterfaust

Large Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Carroll County
    Dimak, supposedly its not as nice. The range does not have dedicated shotgun trap or archery (if your into that) But they have a decent amount of rifle lanes set up with back stops at 25, 50, 100 and 200. Handgun are always hot lanes so you dont have to deal with cease fires. The Range officers are helpful and laid back except on Saturday when theres one gent that is an LEO that thinks hes king shit and is arrogant as all get out. I go Sundays or late afternoon and its always a good time. I just renewed my in county membership, cost me a whopping $50 for the season

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Winterfaust, you are talking about Kelly. I happen to like him. He is straight-forward and tells it like it is. Don't eff up and you'll be fine. He has been nothing but friendly and helpful to my wife and I. He has helped us sight in rifles and let's us shoot some of his toys when he brings them. However, he doesn't have any patience for idiots behaving unsafely at the range. I love that he keeps them in line, unlike some other places we have been to where it's a free for all. I had to dis-arm a knuckle head at MSAR once who point his rental glock right at my wife.

winterfaust

Large Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Carroll County
    Winterfaust, you are talking about Kelly. I happen to like him. He is straight-forward and tells it like it is. Don't eff up and you'll be fine. He has been nothing but friendly and helpful to my wife and I. He has helped us sight in rifles and let's us shoot some of his toys when he brings them. However, he doesn't have any patience for idiots behaving unsafely at the range. I love that he keeps them in line, unlike some other places we have been to where it's a free for all. I had to dis-arm a knuckle head at MSAR once who point his rental glock right at my wife.

Sure man, entitled to your opinion. Theres keeping people in line (which I totally have no issue with), then there is acting like a dick. If the shooter is only inquiring about something and barked at and they are not in the lane and its during a cease fire... yeah thats a hell of a nice guy. I have watched it happen several times, spoke to the other Range Officers whom have as well admitted he can be quite abrasive. As far as bore sighting, etc, I have had several rifles done and been helped getting other rifles to cycle, cleared etc without even having to ask and done in nothing but a friendly manner by several of the Range officers. Just bothers me watching people from other counties etc get that treatment and openly discuss they would not be back. :innocent0

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011

I have to agree and I was there Saturday and can guess who winterfaust is talking about. He can be a little more gung ho then the other range officers and tries to let you know who is boss but that's as far as it goes, I find it more of a character tick then anything else but he comes off very friendly and helpful after that.

On another note I brought a new shooter Saturday and taught him on the bench and when it was my turn I decided to stand and shoot. My friend overheard a younger crowd that was next to us mention that what I was doing is not allowed. This confirms what some people have claimed that they were not allowed to stand and shoot and I think it's at the RO discretion. I can only imagine that younger crowd looking back at the ROs to see if they were going to do something about it and getting pissed that the ROs just sat there.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    You can shoot standing or prone. You just need to step up to the red line while doing so. They were probably corrected for not moving up to the line and misunderstood that as being "not allowed".

When there are groups that get all giggling and horsing around, he tends to take notice right away. I do as well. I take this as serious business and I'm glad he does too. All those holes in the ceiling and baffles didn't get there by themselves. Next time your there take a look at the 50 (might be 100) yard baffle on lane 6 or 7. There is a rod from a muzzle loader stuck there. They couldn't pull it out so they painted a red circle around it.

Let's not forget that there may be times all of us are in a bad mood. I happen to know that there are some major personal things weighing heavily on him right now.

I certainly wouldn't say any of the RO's there are pushovers. Kelly is just large and loud. Bill, who I've seen post here, will get in your sh!t just as quick if you screw up. Personally, I think they all do a great job and that's my my wife and I are members there.

Robj

Mar 31, 2013
    I will be making my first trip to hap baker Friday to sight in my new 308. Do they sell targets there? Or would be a good idea to bring my own? Also does it cost anything to go and check the range out without shooting?

winterfaust

Large Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Carroll County
    I certainly wouldn't say any of the RO's there are pushovers. Kelly is just large and loud. Bill, who I've seen post here, will get in your sh!t just as quick if you screw up. Personally, I think they all do a great job and that's my my wife and I are members there.

Absolutely. +1!

winterfaust

Large Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Carroll County
    I will be making my first trip to hap baker Friday to sight in my new 308. Do they sell targets there? Or would be a good idea to bring my own? Also does it cost anything to go and check the range out without shooting?
    They do sell targets there they are .25/ea. I prefer splatter targets myself so I bring my own. It costs nothing to go down and check it out. Just bring eyes and ears if you want to go in the lanes.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    You can shoot standing or prone. You just need to step up to the red line while doing so. They were probably corrected for not moving up to the line and misunderstood that as being "not allowed".

When there are groups that get all giggling and horsing around, he tends to take notice right away. I do as well. I take this as serious business and I'm glad he does too. All those holes in the ceiling and baffles didn't get there by themselves. Next time your there take a look at the 50 (might be 100) yard baffle on lane 6 or 7. There is a rod from a muzzle loader stuck there. They couldn't pull it out so they painted a red circle around it.

Let's not forget that there may be times all of us are in a bad mood. I happen to know that there are some major personal things weighing heavily on him right now.

I have seen all of the ROs at one time or another exert their authority when needed which is what keeps me coming back and I would never take offence if it was ever pointed out to me that I was not on the ball. I also notice the R0s know by intuition who is experienced and safe, and those who can be potentially reckless.

As far as shooting at the line goes there have been accounts by a few posters here that were flat out denied, not because of not getting close to the line. I suspect that they were young shooters visiting the range for the first time.
    I asked after my 5th visit there and they let me know how they wanted it to be done and I never had a problem. I usually find that when I start shooting at the line others follow because they think they can only shoot through the box.

BTW whatever happened to ranger Mike.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I don't know Mike personally, but if you described him I would probably know who you mean. I'm only personally aquainted with Kelly, Bill, and Pat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom