• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Welcome ES to MDS, from one of the "other" cheeseheads in the group. There are a number of us around. Both Fidelity and I attended UW in Madison.

And what others said, try to live somewhere else. This ain't Wisconsin, dontcha know.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I lived in MD from 1972-2014. Was not bad in the old days. But the last 5 or so finally got to me and I jumped ship to WV. Ah the smell of freedom again.
    If you want to do any shooting competitively, the York IWLA in PA is one of the hot spots in the East.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    Welcome, forgot that if you are a Veteran/Active Duty/ Reserve? with valid ID Card you don't need to apply for an HQL but still have to go through the wait...

Oh an SBR in MD is 29" Total Length with Barrel under 16" and not under 26" like the Federal Law...

Maryland limits your possession of some really nice weaponry. It sucks for some of us Newbies here...

Only the 223/556 needs to be an HBAR config...

Don't want to side track the the thread. However, I am not up on the ins and outs HQL rules, and your post raised a question for me. I am a Veteran and have my old ID. It's expired I was in the service a very long time ago. Are you saying with it I do not need to apply for an HQL, but I could purchase a handgun like in the pre-2013 "good ole days"?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Only if you are Retired, prior service short of retirement you will still need the HQL, but exempt from the training class.

Also , handguns C&R eligible ( aka mfg 1965 or older) do NOT require HQL.

Stripped AR lower can also be built into SBR on Form 1 , but must be >29in OAL .

If you are a reloader, powder is limited to 5lb per single family dwelling, & zero in multi family.

There ARE subtle things in motion to very incrementialy reform the appeals of denied carry lic aplications/ renewals. But in general if you are owner of a business, manager of business w/ sympathetic , ( or employed as private detective, armed security, bail bondsman, etc), very likely to get restricted Permit. An Unrestricted Permit is reputed to exist , but are rarer that confirmed sightings of Bigfoot riding a Unicorn.

Also particularly since 2013, there are a buncha catagories to be a Prohibited Person within Md, but not federally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom