• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    This past weekend my Dad suddenly passed away due to complications with liver cancer. We knew and my dad knew he would not make it to the end of the year, but this was extremely sudden. I literally was having father son time watching a movie on Friday afternoon, he goes into the hospital with abdominal pain that night, and early Saturday morning he was put on a morphine drip to ease his passing.

One of the things I discussed with him in the past was his firearms. He wanted me to have them since he said I would probably use them more than my 2 older sisters. I have no clue how to go about handling certain firearms he left behind (handguns and ARs). I am 25 and have my HQL already if needed.

1. Dan Wesson 357 Model 14 bought in 1982
    2. Smith & Wesson 638 bought in 2014
    3. Black Rain Ordinance AR15 lower bought pre-Oct 1st
    4. A couple of 80% lowers completed pre-Oct 1st

Here is the Dan Wesson, this was the first handgun I learned how to shoot. Still has his original paperwork from MSP in pikesville in 1982.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozzb9s4m2456mww/2014-08-13 00.14.45.jpg

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Sorry for your loss.

I'm not sure what the current law is for inheriting a firearm, but if is like how I remember, it goes something along the lines of letting MSP register it to you. Don't quote me on that and I might be waaaaaay off base.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sorry for your loss.

The regulated firearms need to be transferred from the estate to you. So you will have to wait until the estate processing is set up, and probably the will gone through, for the trustee to transfer them to you.

Of course, what he told you and what is in the will may be totally different. Hopefully your sisters will honor you father's stated wishes, but estates seem to bring out the WORST in people.

I would talk to a 2A attorney and an estate attorney.

Good luck.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Sorry for your loss.

The regulated firearms need to be transferred from the estate to you. So you will have to wait until the estate processing is set up, and probably the will gone through, for the trustee to transfer them to you.

Of course, what he told you and what is in the will may be totally different. Hopefully your sisters will honor you father's stated wishes, but estates seem to bring out the WORST in people.

I would talk to a 2A attorney and an estate attorney.

Good luck.

Ditto on most of what Pinecone said. Many people do not plan for their passing. He may or may not have had a will, which may or may not have mentioned his firearms. If not written down, your siblings may have different understandings of his wishes. His estate may have debts which need to be settled. If he had any size estate at all, your family will be talking with an attorney. All of the above is Part A.

Part B is the state of Maryland. You may legally inherit all the firearms and parts you listed so you really don't have a problem. It's a matter of requesting and filling out the form 77R.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, none of the listed firearms are banned. Even the lowers are now legal for transfer.

But, the ESTATE is now the owner, and the ESTATE must transfer them to you,. So there is a ways to go before you can take possession.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Yes, none of the listed firearms are banned. Even the lowers are now legal for transfer.

But, the ESTATE is now the owner, and the ESTATE must transfer them to you,. So there is a ways to go before you can take possession.

I was P.R. (Personal Representative) for my parents estate after my mother passed (Dad passed a few years earlier). Pinecone is correct that the Estate needs to pass them on to you.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Thank you all for the condolences. It was a very rough time the immediate days after his passing. But as the days go by, with the support of friends, family, and prayer, we are slightly comforted. Especially since he is no longer in pain or suffering from cancer.

In regards to will. My mother talked to our lawyer. He said none of the firearms are mentioned in the will. There is no quarrel over belongings, both my sisters and mother are fine with me holding onto all the firearms he had.

Also, how does AR lowers being legal to transfer come into play? does that mean only HBAR/pistol config? Or do I get to retain the grandfather status and put any 16+" upper on them regardless of barrel profile?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That is an interesting one. YOU got the lowers post Oct 1. So from that, you should only be able to make into HBAR or pistol (if transferred as Other).

HE could have built them into any form. Are you SURE he did not build these into currently banned configurations before Oct 1? If he had, then I would think you would be able to restore them to that configuration.

IANAL.

You may have to ask MSP on this one.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Sorry to hear this. I only met your Dad once and he seemed like a real good guy with a good sense of humor. my thoughts are with you,your mom and the rest of your family

jasonk1229

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2013
    MD
    This past weekend my Dad suddenly passed away due to complications with liver cancer. We knew and my dad knew he would not make it to the end of the year, but this was extremely sudden. I literally was having father son time watching a movie on Friday afternoon, he goes into the hospital with abdominal pain that night, and early Saturday morning he was put on a morphine drip to ease his passing.

One of the things I discussed with him in the past was his firearms. He wanted me to have them since he said I would probably use them more than my 2 older sisters. I have no clue how to go about handling certain firearms he left behind (handguns and ARs). I am 25 and have my HQL already if needed.

1. Dan Wesson 357 Model 14 bought in 1982
    2. Smith & Wesson 638 bought in 2014
    3. Black Rain Ordinance AR15 lower bought pre-Oct 1st
    4. A couple of 80% lowers completed pre-Oct 1st

Here is the Dan Wesson, this was the first handgun I learned how to shoot. Still has his original paperwork from MSP in pikesville in 1982.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozzb9s4m2456mww/2014-08-13 00.14.45.jpg

**** cancer bury them in the yard

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Thank you all for the condolences. It was a very rough time the immediate days after his passing. But as the days go by, with the support of friends, family, and prayer, we are slightly comforted. Especially since he is no longer in pain or suffering from cancer.

In regards to will. My mother talked to our lawyer. He said none of the firearms are mentioned in the will. There is no quarrel over belongings, both my sisters and mother are fine with me holding onto all the firearms he had.

Also, how does AR lowers being legal to transfer come into play? does that mean only HBAR/pistol config? Or do I get to retain the grandfather status and put any 16+" upper on them regardless of barrel profile?

IANAL . Ask a lawyer not MSP. My bet no. My bet MSP will say no. But if there is a way only your lawyer, under privilege and working with the estate and perhaps a trust, can make it happen.

I still do not think it can work after his passing.

Condolences on your loss, and remember--- if you ever leave MD and never return the status of the lowers is not an issue, just don't get cute and get in jam -- its not worth it.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I am sorry for your loss.

If you don't already have a lawyer for the estate, this would be a good time to get one. A lawyer can act as a coach / arbitrator between you and your sisters. My wife's mom passed away a few years ago and her step dad passed away earlier this year. Her parents' lawyer was very helpful for us. All 5 kids from 2 marriages get along well, so we didn't have any real issues dividing up personal property. No guns were involved, though. Her parents lived in Alabama, so we were thankful to have a lawyer that understood Alabama law.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Sorry for your loss. but get a lawyer for this one.

MD law refers to possession. If they were your Dad's, then you didn't possess any of them before Oct 1.

An attorney is your best giver of legal advice, not us. You don't want to inadvertently become a felon.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    [/B]

IANAL . Ask a lawyer not MSP. My bet no. My bet MSP will say no. But if there is a way only your lawyer, under privilege and working with the estate and perhaps a trust, can make it happen.

I still do not think it can work after his passing.

Condolences on your loss, and remember--- if you ever leave MD and never return the status of the lowers is not an issue, just don't get cute and get in jam -- its not worth it.

What if he, before Oct 1st, completed the ARs into pistols, then into (now considered banned) rifles?

I am sorry for your loss.

If you don't already have a lawyer for the estate, this would be a good time to get one. A lawyer can act as a coach / arbitrator between you and your sisters. My wife's mom passed away a few years ago and her step dad passed away earlier this year. Her parents' lawyer was very helpful for us. All 5 kids from 2 marriages get along well, so we didn't have any real issues dividing up personal property. No guns were involved, though. Her parents lived in Alabama, so we were thankful to have a lawyer that understood Alabama law.

My mom has my Dad's lawyer handling the will and I assume the dispersal of assets.

Sorry for your loss. but get a lawyer for this one.

MD law refers to possession. If they were your Dad's, then you didn't possess any of them before Oct 1.

An attorney is your best giver of legal advice, not us. You don't want to inadvertently become a felon.

Like I said, already have a lawyer. Posed my question about the firearms to my mother and she asked him. His response was that none of the firearms are listed in the will and that I should contact MSP instead. Yes, I understand that I didn't possess the firearms. That is not the issue. The question I have is whether or not they retain being grandfathered. Meaning, any barrel profile is fine.

from COMAR:
    C. Except as provided in §D or E of this regulation, a person may not:
    (1) Possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault weapon in the State; or
    (2) Transport an assault weapon into the State.
    D. The prohibitions in §C of this regulation do not apply to:
    (4) Receipt and possession of an assault weapon or detachable magazine by inheritance, in accordance with Regulation .10
    of this chapter, if the decedent lawfully possessed the assault weapon and the person inheriting the assault weapon or detachable
    magazine is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm;

.10 Inheritance.
    A. For the transfer or receipt of a regulated firearm by inheritance, the recipient shall submit a completed firearm application
    to the Secretary in the prescribed format.
    B. For the transfer of a regulated firearm by inheritance to a recipient who is younger than 21 years old:
    (1) The title of the firearm may be transferred to the recipient;
    (2) The estate shall retain possession of the firearm until the recipient is 21 years old; and(3) On receipt of the firearm, the recipient shall comply with the provisions of this chapter and Public Safety Article, Title
    5, Subtitle 1, Annotated Code of Maryland.

I am not asking for legal advice. I am asking for guidance in handling this situation. My goal was to gain enough knowledge to properly formulate my questions to the lawyer or MSP. Since I have no experience in this, I wanted a starting point to begin my own research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom