MD Walmart selling to MD residents only?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmerBrit

Jul 1, 2014
    Folks,

I'm a Delaware resident and tried to purchase a shotgun in Elkton, MD Walmart a couple of weeks ago but denied as I was not a MD resident, when did the law change?
    I had purchased shotgun from same Walmart back in 2008.

Thanks

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    New company policy as of early last year. Walmarts across the country will now only sell to in state residents, even if the sale is legal to nonresidents.

AmerBrit

Jul 1, 2014
    Thanks Ken972, I just saw your reply.
    I don't believe there are any Walmarts in Delaware that actually sell firearms anymore.
    Guess I will continue with internet buy's.

I wonder if the Ammo is next, just for in-state resident??
    I thought these folks were in business to make money!!

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Looks like WalMart is taking a conservative position on gun sales and only selling to in state residents. What can we do? Let's see - many people here will simply start to bash WalMart - what idiots blah blah blah.

In my view this is the wrong approach. WalMart is the only national general retailer that still sells guns. Sears and KMart gave up long ago. Target never carried them at all.

So we can either keep whining at WalMart's shortcomings when it comes to gun sales (and I agree there are certainly many shortcomings) or perhaps instead we can appreciate the fact that despite pressure from liberal low lifes like OBAMA, WalMart still sells guns and ammo.

If we give them enough crap then WM will stop selling guns and ammo altogether. Why not the liberals already want them to stop and if we the gun owning community just complain that they don't do a good enough job selling guns where's the win for WM? If that happens we (gun owners) lose as the liberal left has succeeded in removing guns and ammo from every national general retailer in the USA.

One more thing - WalMart sells cheap stuff. If you want a quality bicycle you won't find it at WalMart. Same is true for higher end guns and ammo. Low price, low selection and low service is WM's approach in any department not just the gun department. If you want better service selection go to a specialty shop - but you will pay more. There is no free lunch.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Looks like WalMart is taking a conservative position on gun sales and only selling to in state residents. What can we do? Let's see - many people here will simply start to bash WalMart - what idiots blah blah blah.

In my view this is the wrong approach. WalMart is the only national general retailer that still sells guns. Sears and KMart gave up long ago. Target never carried them at all.

So we can either keep whining at WalMart's shortcomings when it comes to gun sales (and I agree there are certainly many shortcomings) or perhaps instead we can appreciate the fact that despite pressure from liberal low lifes like OBAMA, WalMart still sells guns and ammo.

If we give them enough crap then WM will stop selling guns and ammo altogether. Why not the liberals already want them to stop and if we the gun owning community just complain that they don't do a good enough job selling guns where's the win for WM? If that happens we (gun owners) lose as the liberal left has succeeded in removing guns and ammo from every national general retailer in the USA.

One more thing - WalMart sells cheap stuff. If you want a quality bicycle you won't find it at WalMart. Same is true for higher end guns and ammo. Low price, low selection and low service is WM's approach in any department not just the gun department. If you want better service selection go to a specialty shop - but you will pay more. There is no free lunch.

So if i buy a 1/22 at Walmart it's somehow not as good as the one i buy at BPS or Dicks? That makes ZERO sense

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    So if i buy a 1/22 at Walmart it's somehow not as good as the one i buy at BPS or Dicks? That makes ZERO sense

I believe the gentleman was saying if you desire higher end guns then say a 10-22 or good customer service Walmart would not be the best choice. Of course on standard guns Walmart probably has adequate selection and good pricing.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No, no , you have to add 3% to make everything good.

What Wally's does sell , they typically get at extra low direct pricing. And occasionally they have some exclusive non-catalogued variations

But I've run across a total of one reasonably knowledgable WM gun dept person ( who happened to be female ). WM has put a bazillion LGS out of business. And on a store by store and region by region basis , will quickly throw the gun dept under the bus to get favorable zoning/ licensing to open or expand store(s).

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    I tried to buy a .22 at a Virginia Walmart last year before Christmas. They wouldn't sell it to me because I'm a Maryland resident. I couldn't find the gun anywhere else. I'm glad they are still selling them at all, but it's frustrating as it keeps getting more difficult. I guess we should keep trying to support them for the reasons mentioned above by Silver 78. I'd hate for Walmart to go the way of Wards, etc.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    But I've run across a total of one reasonably knowledgable WM gun dept person ( who happened to be female ). WM has put a bazillion LGS out of business. And on a store by store and region by region basis , will quickly throw the gun dept under the bus to get favorable zoning/ licensing to open or expand store(s).

I've seen two, but I haven't gone to chat with too many gun dept guys there. The one in Flagstaff, AZ has a younger guy who is actually a gun enthusiast himself and pretty knowledgeable on what he sells. The one in Lexington, VA has two old timers who work part time taking turns running the sporting goods dept. One was an Army armorer and the other used to be a gunsmith with his own shop.

In both areas, there are plenty of other gun stores around, so I think they're doing okay despite Walmart being around. They probably survive selling what Walmart doesn't such as evil black rifles, handguns, and having a more diverse selection of guns and ammo.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Well I was in a DE Walmart tonight and was speaking with the dept mgr. I noticed that the muzzleloader section was gone and ask what happened.

He said that they were told to remove them from the wall and return them to the depot immediately (last week). They wouldn't give him an answer as to why.

I haven't checked any other Walmarts yet but will over the next few days.

Remember the clearance sale that was going on a week or two there (i.e. Sig716 for $997)? I wonder if something grander is going on?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Well I was in a DE Walmart tonight and was speaking with the dept mgr. I noticed that the muzzleloader section was gone and ask what happened.

He said that they were told to remove them from the wall and return them to the depot immediately (last week). They wouldn't give him an answer as to why.

I haven't checked any other Walmarts yet but will over the next few days.

Remember the clearance sale that was going on a week or two there (i.e. Sig716 for $997)? I wonder if something grander is going on?

Corporate decides random stuff all the time. In early 2013, they ordered the stores to remove all the evil black rifles (I guess they let them put them back out later).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom