• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The build date is what MSP are going by to determine legality of ownership/ possession .

That has been argued ad nauseum for SBR's and SBS's. Pre 10/13 lowers can still be built in any configuration, HBAR, pistol, GP barrel. Post 10/1/13 lowers can be used to build an HBAR or a pistol, and an SBR of 29"+. Please stop spreading incorrect information.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    No, I purchased a lower pre Oct 2013. Do I need to worry about getting a non-HBAR?

The only consideration is overall length. It has to be 16 inches or longer, and that can include a flash hider that allows it make that overall length. Barrel can be as thick or thin as you like.

You can get a Short Barrel Rifle, but there are qualifications to that, of which I am not 100% familiar. I think it is a $200 tax and needs to be federally registered. This article talks about getting a SBR and silencer together. From that you should be able to figure it out.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_12014652_sbr-suppressor-same-time.html

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    No, I purchased a lower pre Oct 2013. Do I need to worry about getting a non-HBAR?

So I wrote the msp.Licensing@maryland.gov and asked then had a friend ask the same thing.

We got different responses, I was told it was fine by one trooper, my friend said it wasn't allowed by another trooper - so who knows :sad20:

If you are curious send them an email and report back? I guess obfuscation and confusion was the point :mad54:

Or just wait for the whole thing to be overturned in court.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    So I wrote the msp.Licensing@maryland.gov and asked then had a friend ask the same thing.

We got different responses, I was told it was fine by one trooper, my friend said it wasn't allowed by another trooper - so who knows :sad20:

If you are curious send them an email and report back? I guess obfuscation and confusion was the point :mad54:

Or just wait for the whole thing to be overturned in court.

The troopers don't even know the law they are supposed to enforce or advise the public on. There was an AG decision a while back before lowers were let back in the state, that said that pre 10/1/13 lower could be built into any configuration the owner wishes.

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    The troopers don't even know the law they are supposed to enforce or advise the public on. There was an AG decision a while back before lowers were let back in the state, that said that pre 10/1/13 lower could be built into any configuration the owner wishes.

Can you give me a pdf or something? I heard about that before but no one coughed up the goods

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    I thought it was at gun dealers meeting that the AG confirmed pre 10/13 lowers could legally be built into now banned configuration. it was on mds somewhere

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The real answer is nobody knows.

If you contact MSP they will tell you that they do not have guidance about this. So you MIGHT be breaking the law. It MIGHT be legal.

Your choice as to what path to go down. Personally, no matter when the power was purchased, at this time, I would only build a non-banned configuration.

Response from MSP:

Sir,

We are waiting for a response from the State for the very same questions that you ask. Unfortunately, I do not know when we will have additional information to provide. Once we receive the information, we will post an FAQ or an Advisory on our website.

Thank you,

For those that say it is legal, ask them if they will pay your legal fees if they are wrong?

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Why are we still having these conversations????? The only date the MSP has is the day you bought or ordered your lower. If it was pre 10/13 any upper that was legal then is good now on that lower. Lets say I own 3 lowers but have 7 different uppers that I swap around those 3 lowers, the MSP has no idea which uppers I own BUT they know the 3 lowers I owned and the date I bought them and as long as the upper was legal on the date the lower was bought I am good to go. If I buy a lower today it will need to have a Hbar or Pistol upper, or be a SBR with the proper paperwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom