• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    We have so many people demanding action for some perceived level of violence; but, do they know what violence is? The top source of gun violence in Maryland comes from gang and/or drug activity. Maryland has some of the worst gang laws in the nation. As the former commander of the State Police Gang Enforcement Unit, I have a pretty good understanding of the level of gang violence that is occurring on a daily basis. There is not one single county that is exempt from this violence. I am extremely proud of the police officers that are working to combat gang violence. I had nothing but the best men and women assigned to these units. But they had nothing to fund their operations. We had an incredibly hard tame getting the much needed funding to target Maryland's most violent criminals. I had virtually unlimited funding and overtime to target non-violent gun owners across the state; but nothing for gang violence. Take a look at the attached report. See for yourself what the director of the Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center says. The report says we are not doing enough in the way of resources and manpower. The enforcement methods used to address violent crime in Maryland is, " Out of focus."

Attachments

• 2013 Public Gang Threat Assessment.pdf
      458.9 KB · Views: 788

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Thanks very much for confirming what we here have strongly suspected all along. It doesn't come as a surprise that MD's dirty political machine misdirects public resources to target political opposition instead of criminals.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Thanks Jack,

However, in md's UCR, "gang" is listed as a cause/factor in violent crime/homicide in only a small percentage. I know most of these crimes are rarely solved, so determining a motive is difficult at times, but why do you think the state prefers to downplay and ingnore the rooy cause?

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Looks like good data to support my letters to the main stream media as to the misdirected goals of the current Governor and company. I've noticed an increase in criminal MC clubs as far as visibility and this supports that.

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    Reminds me of this thread from last year in which B'more city crime data demographics for 2012 were summarized and what jumped out to me was the demographics of the murders: while 79% of the suspects had a known criminal history (no surprise there), 82.3% of the victims had known criminal histories!

I think the data came from this Sun article: this Sun article

But that suggests 80% of the murders in B'more at between career criminals, not "bad guy vs innocent victim". Gang fights, drug deals gone wrong, turf wars, etc.

Want to massively decrease crime???? Keep the criminals locked up! Such a novel idea...

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Welcome to the forum.

Gangs are the primary reason I want to ccw. Whenever you hear violence reported almost always the police is quick to report that the victim knew the attacker or contributed to the encounter. What scare me the most is gangs. They will attack someone for initiation without any provocation or prior encounter.

Last edited:

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    Thanks for the info. This is another example of where the priorities are for funding LE.. I guess that is why some of the gang nembers blatantly conduct their activity in the open.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    First of all, THANK YOU AGAIN Jack!

Second ...

Reminds me of this thread from last year in which B'more city crime data demographics for 2012 were summarized and what jumped out to me was the demographics of the murders: while 79% of the suspects had a known criminal history (no surprise there), 82.3% of the victims had known criminal histories!

I think the data came from this Sun article: this Sun article

But that suggests 80% of the murders in B'more at between career criminals, not "bad guy vs innocent victim". Gang fights, drug deals gone wrong, turf wars, etc.

Want to massively decrease crime???? Keep the criminals locked up! Such a novel idea...

With the current massive prison population across the country - and - continually decreasing crime across the country - does anyone think that the record number of inmates and falling crime rates may be related? The ultra-liberals want to start letting these guys out because we must be violating these guys' rights or some class of people's rights by keeping them incarcerated for the terms imposed by the judges who sentenced them.

It logically follows that crime could be reduced even more by following Jack's suggestion and locking these specific criminals up ... but just as importantly - keeping them and their fellow felons IN PRISON

engine42410

Sep 9, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Hello and i have a question or two for the law enforcement community. Doesn't it get "old" when you have to keep arresting the same gang members and have to do a report on the same person or persons.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Hello and i have a question or two for the law enforcement community. Doesn't it get "old" when you have to keep arresting the same gang members and have to do a report on the same person or persons.
    Reminds me of the guy who just got released coming back into the jail within days on a new charge and asking: "Hey C.O. can I get my old cell back?". True story on NUMEROUS occasions with NUMEROUS inmates. The revolving door justice system is no justice at all.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

Welcome to the job.

Does it get old for the server bringing the same table food, the teacher teaching the same classes over and over, the carpet installer putting in the same carpet over and over, the mechanic fixing the same car etc etc.

As for the OP can you elaborate on what "non violent" type of criminals you had unlimited funding to target. I realize most of the gang activity is in Baltimore maybe because MSP doesn't maintain a large presence in the city was some of the issue? I realize there are gangs and gang members throughout the ENTIRE state but the main focus continues to be in Baltimore City and the touching counties which MSP typically doesn't patrol or do active primary investigations in.

Is MSP a member of a gang "Task Force" set up like there is for Warrant's and Auto Thefts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom