• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Unknown User

Oct 19, 2014
    Maryland
    carry permit for Employment in MD

Hi I'm new to the site. I have a few questions but can't seem to find answers anywhere on the web.

I'm getting ready to start training to become a MD armed guard and DC SPO.
    can anyone tell me what is the average wait time to get my carry permit? What restrictions will I have ect.......

What are the disqualifying factors?

Last edited:

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    It will probably be restricted to your work. It takes 90 days, more or less. I am currently waiting for mine and was told it would take 90 days unless there was an influx of guard applications. That would imply that those take precedence for some reason.

Unknown User

Oct 19, 2014
    Maryland
    Ok. Thanks guys. I have another question. once i get my Carry permit for MD and my Special Police License for D.C. will i be able to do side work for anyone looking for private armed security like for parties, clubs, bars etc.... where would i find information on that?

I think i read that a person needs to have "documented threats" to be considered for a full concealed carry permit but how many do i need?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    You will only be able to do work contracted to the company you work for, as you carry permit will be restricted to carry to, from and while working for them. Violations of permit restrictions are now criminal violations.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Ok. Thanks guys. I have another question. once i get my Carry permit for MD and my Special Police License for D.C. will i be able to do side work for anyone looking for private armed security like for parties, clubs, bars etc.... where would i find information on that?

I think i read that a person needs to have "documented threats" to be considered for a full concealed carry permit but how many do i need?

Regular CCW - Documented threats would almost never apply to a regular citizen. They work for a Corrections Officer but not for a regular citizen. As a regular citizen you will likely need to be multiple incidents of being bludgeoned, raped, stabbed, and oh yeah you must have been specifically targeted to qualify. Random attacks won't work.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    The OP is aproaching this backwards. You need to get hired by a company first, they will know how to do the paperwork as applies to working for them. When security companies sometimes speak using the phrase of applicants "with handgun permits" , this is codespeak of stealing employees from other security companies, and having them transfer their permit to the new company. This isn't a situation where someone breaking into the biz can get one on their own.

The last that I paid attention in Md , a Security Gaurd/ SPO in md could get a license for part time work with a second company, but would need the permission of their first employer. If the second employer wished you for an armed position, you( meaning second employer) would need to apply from scratch for a second Permit.

dpmd

Apr 2, 2010
    Montgomery County
    I believe a MD HCP restricted to use while employed as a Security Guard is applicable for work under any agency licensed in MD. It's the Security Guard License or "Guard Card" that is specific to a particular agency. Therefore, as stated above, you will need an initial employer to sponsor your Guard license and the accompanying HCP. If you pick up a second job, that employer would need to sponsor a "Subsequent" Guard application, but the original work restricted HCP would suffice.

Also, depending on the type of work you seek, you may want to research the difference between security provided by a Security Guard vs. by a Private Detective. Loose examples would be Armored Car (SO) vs. Executive Protection (PD).

If that muddied the waters, a quick call or email to the Security Guard Unit of the MSP Licensing Division MAY answer your questions.

dpmd

Apr 2, 2010
    Montgomery County
    With regards to DC SPO, I believe that the carry aspect only applies to a specific location under the Security Agency that maintains the license for that location.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Ah no , the Handgun Permit is specific to the employer. They are routine to get transfered to a new employer, so long as the job description is exactly the same. Ie "security gaurd' is not the same as "driver/gaurd" , is not the same as "investagator" , etc

A certain well known member here is famous for having three Md Handgun Permits for his multiple endevors.

This system gives MSP an extra layer of control. If they think a security company is sponsering a suspicious number of applicants , they will request documentation to show the number of armed contracts/ positions to justify the number of armed employees.

dpmd

Apr 2, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Ah no , the Handgun Permit is specific to the employer. They are routine to get transfered to a new employer, so long as the job description is exactly the same. Ie "security gaurd' is not the same as "driver/gaurd" , is not the same as "investagator" , etc

A certain well known member here is famous for having three Md Handgun Permits for his multiple endevor.

While not famous here or anywhere, I also possess multiple MD permits. One of them states "any MD Licensed Agency...while actively engaged...for same." I was at the Licensing Division last month and it was confirmed that my HCP applied to any Agency that employed me and wished me to be armed, i.e. any any number of Private Detective licenses (each one lists the employer on the front) with only one HCP required for all. In my case, when I changed agency affiliation, I surrendered the License which was replaced, but kept the HCP.

No argument here...just stating my own recent personal experience.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    The OP is aproaching this backwards. You need to get hired by a company first, they will know how to do the paperwork as applies to working for them. When security companies sometimes speak using the phrase of applicants "with handgun permits" , this is codespeak of stealing employees from other security companies, and having them transfer their permit to the new company. This isn't a situation where someone breaking into the biz can get one on their own.

The last that I paid attention in Md , a Security Gaurd/ SPO in md could get a license for part time work with a second company, but would need the permission of their first employer. If the second employer wished you for an armed position, you( meaning second employer) would need to apply from scratch for a second Permit.
    I didn't tthink you could even apply for an armed guard carry pemit without already being employed by an agency. I thought the agency needed to supply documents to send with the application stating that they require you to be armed. IIRC

Unknown User

Oct 19, 2014
    Maryland
    I didn't tthink you could even apply for an armed guard carry pemit without already being employed by an agency. I thought the agency needed to supply documents to send with the application stating that they require you to be armed. IIRC

You're correct. I am currently in training and will be sponsored by the same employer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom