• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I never said anything to anyone at the range sunday ( except mooseman just before leaving ), but the past week or two has been pure hell. I started gettting aches and pains in my jaw, ear, throat etc. After a few days I worked up the courage to tell the wife. She got the ball rolling and getting me to have it checked out. Last wednesday, I go have it checked. Sure as anything, he spotted something abnormal by my tonsils. Sent me for chest xrays, ekg, bloodwork, etc. Wanted to do a biopsy on it monday past. Wasnt gonna go to the biopsy appt, and just by chance, I ran into a coworker who battling throat cancer himself. He told me to get to that appt, if only for a chance for my kids sake. So Monday I went, and Doc told wife it wasnt normal, so he took a piece of it, and a piece from the back of my tongue, as he seen it was bleeding, but it may have been from them nicking it while working. He wanted it tested to be sure. Anyways, through all of this, I been crying, etc. Its been pure hell in my head. I noticed sounds I never took notice to outside, look and notice things about my kids, etc. I guess the fear of dying and missing out on my kids made me pay attention more. Fast forward ( which really felt like an eternity of hell ) to yesterday. I get a call from the docs that everything came back negative!! I started pretty much crying to the lady on the phone. She didnt really know what to say except "aweee". So, I made an agreement that I'd quit smoking if I got good news. Well, lastnight was my last smoke. I am doing a little of the electric cigs right now, but being couped up in this crappy weather is the main reason. Just cant get out and do anything to get my mind off smoking. I also got the wife one too, so we can be there for each other. Last 2 times I quit, I did it while she still smoked. Both times, I quit about a year.
    Anyways, that lonely ride home from the range sunday as my kiddo fell asleep made me really begin to think. I started to think maybe thats why we ended up at the range that day, as my future was gonna be short. I came home and just laid down from the worry n fear wearing me down. Well, since everything seems to be in my favor, I plan on making some changes in my life. Visit family and friends more often. Get out of the house so maybe I wont have so much time to think, etc. So I guess I just want to say that you'll be seeing more of me and my kid/kids at the range. Next time, I will still be a smoking quitter!! If anything, I have learned that life and GOD is great!! :thumbsup:

Now....If I can just keep my kiddo supplied in .22 ammo. Shes already bugging me about going again. If anyone runs into any online, please let me know.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I was thinking about you and wondering how things had turned out. I am glad that you got good news. Good luck with quitting smoking. I have been able to give up many bad habits, just not that one yet. Enjoy your second chance. Spend time with your family.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Here is her first day shooting.....Yep, I am proud. Thanks again all who helped me introduce her to it. Thanks Buck, for the matching ear protection.

*edit* Had the wrong link I copied from the how to embed tutorial on here lol

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I was thinking about you and wondering how things had turned out. I am glad that you got good news. Good luck with quitting smoking. I have been able to give up many bad habits, just not that one yet. Enjoy your second chance. Spend time with your family.

Thanks buddy!! I mean that. It means alot. Thats just what I consider it too, a second chance. Just sucks that something I/we enjoy so much is so bad for us.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Glad to hear you are alright, you are too young for any of that cancer talk.

Good luck in kicking the habit :thumbsup:

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Good luck on quitting the butts! Think of all the greenbacks you can invest in ammo.

Thank ya!! Yeah, it seems my daughter could use all those greenbacks on .22 ammo if it were available. I had to cut her off sunday at the range if she wanted to have enough to go again lol.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Damascus
    Quad,

Congrats on the good news and congrats on quitting. PM inbound to help with your daughter's education.

StanW

Hooligan #8
    Dec 18, 2012
    Western MD
    Good luck on the quitting, the cravings will only last for a moment, in that moment just decide not to smoke, nothing to it

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Glad everything is good, now quit and don't light up again.
    I've been 2 months without a chew, quit cold turkey and I chewed for 35 years. If I can do it anybody can.:thumbsup:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Quad,
    Good that you're OK and even better you gave up smoking! It's not easy, but you can do it. It's been over 6 years for me and I'll never go back.

Replace that bad habit with good ones - like more range time with your daughter. :thumbsup:

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Good luck in kicking the habit, If it were me I would do anything I possibly could to rid myself of tobacco use for good. Quit while you still can, and let this incident be a wake up call, before its too late. Plus think of all the guns & ammo you can buy with the money you save.

I know too many smokers whose life has been cut short from that stuff.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Good luck in kicking the habit, If it were me I would do anything I possibly could to rid myself of tobacco use for good. Quit while you still can, and let this incident be a wake up call, before its too late. Plus think of all the guns & ammo you can buy with the money you save.

I know too many smokers whose life has been cut short from that stuff.

Thanks Roc, and the others. So far, I am doing good. I know I am using the vaporizer, but I'll do this. I know a few who quit with the vaporizer, then quit that after a few months. I figure once the weather gets a little better I can ride dirtbikes, etc. Trout fishing is very close too. Just hoping the wife takes this as serious as I am. I doubt it though, as the scare wasnt her directly. Not saying my issues didnt scare her, but I wonder if it not being her it happened to, if shes as serious as me.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Thanks Roc, and the others. So far, I am doing good. I know I am using the vaporizer, but I'll do this. I know a few who quit with the vaporizer, then quit that after a few months. I figure once the weather gets a little better I can ride dirtbikes, etc. Trout fishing is very close too. Just hoping the wife takes this as serious as I am. I doubt it though, as the scare wasnt her directly. Not saying my issues didnt scare her, but I wonder if it not being her it happened to, if shes as serious as me.

The E cigs havent really been proven to be better then cigarettes, if thats what you are using. I would focus on tobacco cessation all together.

I am truely thankful that is one habit I never tried or desired to try.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Quad, I have been off the smokes for 8 weeks now. I quit on New Years. I have one of those E-cigs "Blu" that I used for a crutch the first few weeks. I now use it once or twice a day. It will get easier, especially if your wife is quitting with you. My better half quit with me also. Hang in there. :party29:

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Congrats on the good news, quitting smoking and most of all the increased appreciation of what's important in life. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom