• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I just got back as well (Asian guy trying to sell the Mauser). I was trying to buy a Springfield (there were a few), but never sold the Mauser. I got a box of US surplus, noncorrosive .30/06 for my M1 for only $15. People seemed very eager to buy 8mm Mauser at $0.40 a round. I only sold the two boxes I had in my backpack, since no one wanted to buy it in 300 round lots.

A friend of mine sold 14 bricks of .22 ammo (Federal 525 rounds) for $40 each. One guy bought about half of it to sell at his table. I have no idea what he priced them at, but they were still there when we left. He also sold a spam can of 7.62x54R for only $100.

RUOMO10

Dec 16, 2012
    Maryland
    Bought 400 rounds of 5.56 PMC at about 62 cents a round today. Cheapest I have seen for awhile now. Would have bought a thousand but wasn't expecting that much ammo to be there!

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    You want a gun shop to sell something other then guns? That's not changing a model that's going out of business.

If SB281 passes completely or even with a few more anti amendments it will largely cut into a lot of dealers wallets. Not being able to sell the most diserable firearms will certainly put a hurt on their wallets.

It doesn't get more Machiavellian (or Darwinian) than business... especially the gun business these days. being able to anticipate any particular market is what it's all about. In MD, it will be about hunting, target shooting, C&R, and plinking. From what I see on dealer shelves, it's mainly been about this anyway. The negative political pressure on "tacticool" will drive the market... for these particular rifles anyway... at least out of Maryland. If SB281 passes (...and I pray it gets gutted like tonight's fillet) then there will still be gun sales in the state of MD. Even handgun sales. It's people like me that will bear the brunt of licensing fees, fingerprints, etc. Those dealers that remain in business and have adapted their business models to the new playing field will still be around. Those that didn't will be the T-rex. It's sad because these are people's livelihoods we're talking about. I don't like it one bit, but this is the nature of the beast...

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    We go into different gun stores then.

My shops have more "tacticool" and handguns then Fudd rifles.

I prefer my shops stay open...even if they have to charge what they can get for an item to do it.

Sep 4, 2010
    Centreville
    I wanted to thank everyone at the show. It was my first show and it was a good experience. I am a small dealer and dont have the buying power of the bigger guys. I struggled to even find enough inventory to come to the show. I have been on some distributors wait lists for 3 months and not gotten a single gun. I dealt with one distributor that had 6920's on Monday for $1705. I called on Tuesday to order and the price was $1795 and by the time my sales rep called me back on Wed, they were $1895.
    $1895.......$1895. from a wholesaler.
    Were my prices too high? Was my selection too small? If any of you knew how much work it is to do a gun show and how hard it is to even get a gun to sell, you would hopefully recognize that I am trying to do the best job I can.
    I debated even going because I could only come up with 16 guns total. I was happy to come out of there in the black. New Business Model? You are on to something...I am going to buy a strip clup.

strider07

Senior Airman
    Dec 21, 2012
    Columbia
    Had a good time, picked up a Yugo SKS and some 7.62x39, that stuff was nearly gone an hour or two after it all started from the look of things

TheGrossman

Apr 27, 2012
    Mt. Airy, MD
    Went to the show yesterday and the line was crazy!! Fortunately I joined the NRA (was wanting to anyway) and got to bypass the line and get $10 off membership and get into the show for free. What a difference from the last show that I went to in Frederick. Was able to walk right into that one with no line at all. Damn SB281!!

Safeboat079

Feb 24, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I was not trying to insult any dealers with my previous post, that was not my intention. I’m just relaying what I saw at this gun show, and that was a lot more taking advantage of the current situation then trying to make a living. As for all this talk of free market, this is more of a tulip market.

tttongli

Oct 3, 2008
    HOWARD
    I don't like to see hard working people loose their business more than anyone else. But some times truth is not so forgiving. I agree that anyone can make money all they want in free market, but please don't ask customers to support local businesses when internet business blossom. It is also free market, ain't that a bitch?

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I was not trying to insult any dealers with my previous post, that was not my intention. I’m just relaying what I saw at this gun show, and that was a lot more taking advantage of the current situation then trying to make a living. As for all this talk of free market, this is more of a tulip market.

That is an uninformed opinion. You need to read and comprehend posts #234 and #266. How can a dealer sell at pre-281 prices and expect to buy new product to restock? If you don't understand that I will gladly buy from you at low, low prices.

Last edited:

Safeboat079

Feb 24, 2013
    Baltimore County
    So are you telling me that Maryland dealers are getting charged more then all the other dealers in the country? Maybe I'm not Comprehending something, please explain why I can buy a DMPS AR and have it shipped to my FFL for close to regular prices if I buy outside of MD, yet at the gun show, I couldn’t find one for under $2000? Or how is it that two weeks ago I was able to purchase an HK MP5-22 for $579 because I bought it out of state and had it shipped? Yet at the gun show they were selling for $699? If I can get them at close to regular prices, then why can’t you? I get that the prices have gone up, but let’s be realistic.

Safeboat079

Feb 24, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Look, I'm not here to get into a pissing match with anyone, and like I said, I'm not trying to insult the dealers, but until this is over, I'll be Making my purchases online, and I’m not the only one, I would love to support local business, but I’m not going to get ripped off doing it, but if you can find people to pay those prices, then good for you.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Look, I'm not here to get into a pissing match with anyone, and like I said, I'm not trying to insult the dealers, but until this is over, I'll be Making my purchases online, and I’m not the only one, I would love to support local business, but I’m not going to get ripped off doing it, but if you can find people to pay those prices, then good for you.

So if PA or WVA Gasoline prices are lower (which they are) are you going to drive there every week to fill up your vehicle?

flintstone

Jan 1, 2013
    Perry Hall MD
    So are you telling me that Maryland dealers are getting charged more then all the other dealers in the country? Maybe I'm not Comprehending something, please explain why I can buy a DMPS AR and have it shipped to my FFL for close to regular prices if I buy outside of MD, yet at the gun show, I couldn’t find one for under $2000? Or how is it that two weeks ago I was able to purchase an HK MP5-22 for $579 because I bought it out of state and had it shipped? Yet at the gun show they were selling for $699? If I can get them at close to regular prices, then why can’t you? I get that the prices have gone up, but let’s be realistic.

Who are these online dealers with A/R's in stock with regular pricing?

BDurk

Sep 21, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Now someone needs to have a certain amount of posts for their opinion to matter? Guess I better not show up at a rally supporting the 2nd…..I’ve never gone to one before and apparently would be wrong to express my opinion now. People can agree or disagree on both sides…but no one should be bullied from stating an opinion because they haven’t had anything to say prior.

The opinions being stated, pro and con, are actually part and parcel with the free market system so many people are correctly espousing; using ad hominem attacks to prevent discussion and debate is something MOM and his left-wing-lackies would do.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I think you're right. Just before I bought my can there was a guy scrutinizing and comparing about 6 boxes, looking them over again and again, trying to decide which was in better condition... only to walk away empty handed.

I think I saw two guys working that table. I have previously dealt with one of them and he was very nice. He gave me a discount when I purchased several items.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom