• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Let me start out with it hurts coming to Brian's shop... I either see something I want and walk away and regret it, or I find something I want and have to deal with the seven day wait.

Regardless, I'm glad I jumped on these when they came in.

These pics are post cleaning since they had been through some surplus storage. P64 barely needed cleaning, but the TTC needed a mineral spirit bath and a fresh application of CLP.

Lets begin!

P64 - 1973

Dpouzdx.jpg

pf6b2pc.jpg

BEptjoa.jpg

yPlKcKm.jpg

Tokarev (Romanian) TTC - 1953

hHaHT2h.jpg

hDOtyOL.jpg

qIzTcaM.jpg

9HGIqUB.jpg

I'll go through the good and bad of each.

The P64 literally has nothing wrong with it. The trigger pull in D/A is a bitch and a half, but it's expected. Wolf Spring kits have been ordered earlier this week and I'll be going through with that mod. Range day will give more info on the gun as well as the spring setup. Cosmetically I'd say it's a 9/10. There are no physical scars on the finish minus some holster wear on the left hand side near the barrel. Internally the standard wear sections looked perfect. Nothing on this I can see out of place.

The TTC is exactly what was expected, a TTC. The trigger is a little loose and sloppy for my taste, but a bit of a rebuild on that should tighten it up. The finish is a 9/10 with no scaring, but parts of the grips are chipping. Now I just need to source some new Romanian grips for it if I can find any. The only concern I have with it is the safety. It's as loose as Kim Kardashian. Flicking it off causes it to shoot back up to on. Racking the slide and dropping the hammer (slowly guided with my thumb) a few times I've noticed the safety will turn on. This is a concern I'll be researching into. Overall the package made it worth it! Definitely will be sourcing some parts to solidify the TTC as well as look for complete packages on a Yugo, Chinese, Russian and Polish Tok.

Thanks to all of the guys at SCSG, Brian's the best! Plus it's always good to chit chat with Ed, you'll always learn something.

rocket1331

Jul 9, 2014
    That P64 looks great. Thanks for putting up the pics. The safety with all the toks seems to be a crapshoot. From everything I've read about them, they should not be relied upon as a modern safety. Theres a few people ive seen completely remove them and patch up the hole to bring back closer to stock.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    No problem. I wish the photo's were formatted smaller. Admins need to have autosizing of pics *hint hint*

I'm planning to get some more Tok's to compare the fit and finish of the original parts as well as the work done in the US on the safeties. Personally I would not carry this Romanian TTC in condition 1 or 2 in a carry state on on private property. IF I were to carry it at all it would be condition 3. With some more tinkering, I noticed a few trigger pulls while the Tok is on safe the safety will drop. Someone has to have an enhanced safety for these somewhere.

rocket1331

Jul 9, 2014
    I guess the primary issue with them is that they were not designed to have the safety at all, all those got added sometime during importation. So they are pretty much all sloppy mass add-ons.

I think the new production toks have factory safeties, i wouldnt mind a new production 9mm if i ever spot one thats a deal. but always on a look out for a romanian or polish....really need to send this c&r app in this next week...

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Yeah, I know they were an after thought part put in by the US. You would think they would install something worthwhile... Hell a Rem 870 style safety button would have been better...

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Just swapped in an 18lb hammer spring in the P64 and oh my... Trigger pull is smooooooooooth and maintainable.

Definitely invest in a wolf spring kit if any of you decide to get a P64, for 30 something bucks you get a 3 recoil springs (18, 20, and 22lb) and 3 firing pin springs (don't remember the spring pressure) and get the the hammer spring kit that comes with 3 springs (18, 20, 22lb.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom