• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall
    So after weeks and weeks my handgun finally got to my lgs last week and I assumed that exactly 7 days I'd be able to pick it up but it seems as though I'm wrong. Anyone buy a handgun lately and could tell the time it took for their "paperwork" to be completed?

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Theres a big difference between "How long for the paperwork to be approved" and " How long the gun shop will release the gun ".

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    MSP has been turning around forms in 3 to 5 days for a long time now. You can legally have the gun on the 8th day, reply or not, unless "Disapproved." Of course, the dealer is also free to hold the gun until a reply is received if they so desire.

If MSP has not returned your "Not Disapproved" and a week has passed, you dealer should call them to see what the hold up is.

Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall
    This is my first modern handgun purchase so sorry if the questions seem dumb. Today is officially day 8 so I guess I'll assume I'll be able to pick it up just like I assumed I'd be able to pick it up day 7. I guess I'm just getting impatient now since I had to wait so long for the handgun just to get to LGS and now it just sits there.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Some dealers only count business days. So if you filled out paperwork on Friday around 1600 then the MSP see the paperwork on Monday and then time starts.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    They are saying my paperwork hasn't come back but after all the time that has passed I would assume it wouldn't take this long

They only have to wait 8 days to hear disapproved ... after 8 days, they are legally allowed to assume you are "not disapproved" - it remains their option to make you wait as long as they wish. They are exercising their option, or completely BS'ing you because they forgot to send it in

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I recently purchased a modern handgun. Was available for pickup the 8th day. I believe the MSP not disapproved only took 5 days. While the LGS is entitled to release on the 8th day, i believe they are also entitled to wait for the "not disapproved" notice. Their FFL, their rules. IF you dont like it you nare free to use someone else next time. During the rush a few years ago, my LGS waited for the not disapproved, which took about 4 weeks. Wait a few days and give the LGS a call.

Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall
    They only have to wait 8 days to hear disapproved ... after 8 days, they are legally allowed to assume you are "not disapproved" - it remains their option to make you wait as long as they wish. They are exercising their option, or completely BS'ing you because they forgot to send it in

That's exactly the info I needed, thanks Mark. That's irritating

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    During that rush of 2013 there was one dealer who refused to do an 8 day release. They ended up transferring a bunch of guns to another dealer who would. Like someone said, it all depends on the dealer. Some play CYA and wait for the paperwork to be returned. Next time you will know to ask. You will get it at some point as long as you are not disapproved.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Next time you will know to ask.

If next time you go the gunbroker route or one of the mail order houses, before you place your bid or order you need to know:

If the seller will ship to MD?
    What happens to mags > 10 rounds?
    If your local FFL will accept from an individual or an FFL? Some will not transfer a gun they stock.

Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall
    Called the state police and apparently the bastards at the shop didn't fax in my paperwork until 4 days after I bought it and they won't give me the handgun until it gets cleared.

Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall
    What shop so I don't go there?

Continental Arms, now don't get me wrong I don't dislike the place. I like all the people I've talked to and dealt with at the shop but the fact that I've waited all this time for it before it even got to the shop and aside from the fact that they don't give handguns on the 8th day, but the reason I'm waiting now is because they waited 4 more days after I payed for the gun to send out my paperwork is quite irritating to me.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Called the state police and apparently the bastards at the shop didn't fax in my paperwork until 4 days after I bought it and they won't give me the handgun until it gets cleared.

That happened to me, except the shop emailed me and warned me of their mistake as soon as they realized it. Different IP. They did not adjust their transfer fee.
    Stuff happens and I wasn't overly inconvenienced. I will remind them next time I do a transfer My expectation. as a customer, is I am paying for them do do the paperwork AND process it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom