• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Things are happening with regard to convincing the HPRB Chair to get legal and comply with the Maryland's Open Meetings laws.

By carrot or stick.

More as it develops.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    The meetings are recorded by the Board, so you could request a copy but I suspect there will be some cost for reproduction. If you go to the HGPRB June 16, 2015 Meeting thread you will see rrankin posted a link to a personal recording he made. That will save you the cost, but it is painful to listen to. Whatever happens behind closed doors stays behind closed doors.

That's an interesting answer, because I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that the minutes of a public meeting should be made available to the public without having to make a FOIA-like request. Free of charge even, because public funds (i.e., my taxes) were used to compile the report. Of course, PII and the board's "private" information should be redacted. Unless they just can't be bothered to do the compilation...

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Can't imagine why you would think agencies are obligated just to hand out info at no cost. That's what the PIA is for. Pay to play. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    So to register a trade name in MD is only $25 for five years ... so all we need to do is register a trade name, get a business bank account with the local bank and we are good to go? Obviously need to use some type of business structure that can be conducted anywhere any time to get the best of it.

If it were that easy, I would have done it, but I'm pretty sure there is also a yearly property tax associated with any business. Was not able to find the direct answer on any MD.gov site, but if memory serves, it is something on the order of $300.00 per year.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    If it were that easy, I would have done it, but I'm pretty sure there is also a yearly property tax associated with any business. Was not able to find the direct answer on any MD.gov site, but if memory serves, it is something on the order of $300.00 per year.
    I think the $300 minimum is associated w/ an LLC, while the trade name itself, which doesn't require any particular business formation, is untaxed.

Pretty sure we're mere minutes away from someone correcting us both however.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    It is that easy, and no requirement to pay taxes under that name unless you actually produce income. No annual fees either.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Under the Montoya ruling, a "license" will suffice for the "self employed" or "sole proprietor".

Suggest you acquire a Maryland State Police Certified Handgun Instructor License to allow you to carry whenever you transport firearms or ammunition.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Classes are scheduled soon, so sachet on in and get certified.

http://frederickiwla.org/uploads/Training.pdf

Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    Son is going for a renewal and was ask for a business license and a letter. We are a non-profit and not required by Maryland to have a business license. Will see how this one plays out.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Son is going for a renewal and was ask for a business license and a letter. We are a non-profit and not required by Maryland to have a business license. Will see how this one plays out.

If you are a legitimate non-profit, you have articles of incorporation, a state sales tax exemption card and/or an IRS determination letter, any or all of which should suffice.

As for the letter, that's a single sentence on "letterhead", signed by an officer of the corporation endorsing and authorizing John Doe to carry his/her firearm while representing the organization and stating that it will be secured while not being carried.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Possible next step in the MSP saga of breaking Board audience stones: Entire meeting is closed because: Privacy.
    Next step after yelling: Meeting is reopened to the public, but the building becomes "No Entry" because: Security.

Jul 4, 2013
    If you look at the statute as written, MD is a Shall issue state. I present to you the Public Safety Code 5-306(a)

5-306. Qualifications for permit

(a) In general. -- Subject to subsection (c) of this section, the Secretary shall issue a permit within a reasonable time to a person who the Secretary finds:

Notice it does not say "the Secretary may issue a permit."

We kid, but if you actually go back and look at the original bill when it was floating around the GA back in the day, the language was originally "may issue," which was struck through and revised to "shall issue."

Talk about legislative intent.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Under the Montoya ruling, a "license" will suffice for the "self employed" or "sole proprietor".

Suggest you acquire a Maryland State Police Certified Handgun Instructor License to allow you to carry whenever you transport firearms or ammunition.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Classes are scheduled soon, so sachet on in and get certified.

http://frederickiwla.org/uploads/Training.pdf

Great idea. Which of the classes in that link are needed to acquire said license?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Possible next step in the MSP saga of breaking Board audience stones: Entire meeting is closed because: Privacy.
    Next step after yelling: Meeting is reopened to the public, but the building becomes "No Entry" because: Security.

Not. Ask me why July 12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom