• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I especially enjoyed the practical training today and the overabundance of instructors, including 2 DC certified concealed carry teachers (not a big pool at this point). Also lots of inside perspective on the DC concealed carry application process from Cypherpunk. Very well organized course, especially given this is the first run through for the DC training. Looking forward to round 2 next weekend.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    Yes good class. Lots of instructors on hand. It was almost one instructor to every 2-3 students, and there were only 10 students. Decent pace for the material lots of time to ask questions and take breaks.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    If I had the time and cash to spare, I would have been alongside you all. Looking forward to the law class :)

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    I can echo what others have said about this class.

Great instructors; they know their stuff and it's clear they are fighting for our rights. There was an excellent teacher to student ratio and personal attention available when needed.

Good content; it's always good to review the fundamentals but we also delved into territory new to me like defensive shooting scenarios and how to draw from concealed:holster. (I will be practicing in front of a mirror) I'm really looking forward to the law portions.

Cool students! It's nice to put a face to a name for fellow MDS members.

Looking forward to Sunday and the shooting portion of class.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I stuck around after the class yesterday to get some range time with a few pistols - the Walther P99AS Compact (in 9x19), an HK USP 40 Compact, and a Bulgarian Marakov (in 9x18 of course). All have approx 3-inch sight radiuses. The Walther P99AS Compact can share some holsters with the HK USP 40 Compact due to similar proportions, and the Walther P99AS Compact is one that I have carried in the past where a Utah NRP allows (as well as the smaller Sig P238 - which I tend to pocket carry in a Remora). I was doing our practical training with the Walther yesterday.

Well, after approx 300 rds with the three pistols, I was most dialed in at 25 yards with the Makarov, despite its crappy, hard to pick up sights. Of course I don't have a retention holster for it, so ordered one from Amazon (same Sig-Tac style that I was using with the Walther). I have two Makarovs (both Bulgarian) and the one that I was using was the shooter - so am thinking of painting the front sight post orange to improve pick up. Still will probably use the Walther for the test (as I will carry this when able and mag reloads are super smooth for me with this gun), but will do another side-by-side with the Walther and Makarov this week.

Note, after reading the handouts from the class last night, there are two practical tests that are described. The first is for security professionals and goes out to 25 yards. The second appears to be the one that we will take, and only goes out to 15 yards (with pretty big targets to hit).

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I stuck around after the class yesterday to get some range time with a few pistols - the Walther P99AS Compact (in 9x19), an HK USP 40 Compact, and a Bulgarian Marakov (in 9x18 of course). All have approx 3-inch sight radiuses. The Walther P99AS Compact can share some holsters with the HK USP 40 Compact due to similar proportions, and the Walther P99AS Compact is one that I have carried in the past where a Utah NRP allows (as well as the smaller Sig P238 - which I tend to pocket carry in a Remora). I was doing our practical training with the Walther yesterday.

Well, after approx 300 rds with the three pistols, I was most dialed in at 25 yards with the Makarov, despite its crappy, hard to pick up sights. Of course I don't have a retention holster for it, so ordered one from Amazon (same Sig-Tac style that I was using with the Walther). I have two Makarovs (both Bulgarian) and the one that I was using was the shooter - so am thinking of painting the front sight post orange to improve pick up. Still will probably use the Walther for the test (as I will carry this when able and mag reloads are super smooth for me with this gun), but will do another side-by-side with the Walther and Makarov this week.

Note, after reading the handouts from the class last night, there are two practical tests that are described. The first is for security professionals and goes out to 25 yards. The second appears to be the one that we will take, and only goes out to 15 yards (with pretty big targets to hit).
    I am pretty sure we are shooting out to 25 yards on the security course as I believe that is what DC requires. MD only requires 15 yards.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I am pretty sure we are shooting out to 25 yards on the security course as I believe that is what DC requires. MD only requires 15 yards.

Maryland actually says "no more than 15 yards" there is no set or minimum range for HQL or CCW qual in MD. Legally the live fire qual could be point blank.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    DC is 15 as well. But you guys are shooting the MD Security course-25 yardss.

The DC reg says

"from a maximum of 15 yards". I can't figure out whether that means all the shots at 15 yards or just some. I'm guessing all the shots at 15 yards.

Cypherpunk can clarify I am sure.

In addition to the requirements of § 2336.1, a person shall complete at least two
    (2) hours of range training, including shooting a qualification course of fifty (50)
    rounds of ammunition from a maximum distance of fifteen (15) yards (forty-five (45) feet),
    and receiving a qualifying score of seventy percent (70%) as certified
    by the instructor.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Swinokur, will you take the DC legal part of the course on Sunday (even if not applying for a DC permit as yet)? Apparently a number of folks are joining for just these two hours, including carry instructors and attorneys. Seems to be something that might interest you.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    DC is 15 as well.

The DC reg says

"from a maximum of 15 yards". I can't figure out whether that means all the shots at 15 yards or just some. I'm guessing all the shots at 15 yards.

Students will be shooting the Maryland Handgun Permit qualification course as well.

Most people have no issue passing the MD 50 shot for PI/SPO.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

DC is 15 as well.

The DC reg says

Will influence what I might shoot as the handout description for the test that goes to 25 yards is more involved (incl shooting with different holds if I recollect properly). Don't mind the short sight radius guns for up to 15 yards, but would prefer a 4 to 5 inch barrel gun (a normal size pistol) for what is described for security professionals practical exam in the handout. Looked fun too. :D

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Maryland actually says "no more than 15 yards" there is no set or minimum range for HQL or CCW qual in MD. Legally the live fire qual could be point blank.

This is a DC & MD Permit Course. You may be confusing it with HQL due to BGOS ;)

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Will influence what I might shoot as the handout description for the test that goes to 25 yards is more involved (incl shooting with different holds if I recollect properly). Don't mind the short sight radius guns for up to 15 yards, but would prefer a 4 to 5 inch barrel gun (a normal size pistol) for what is described for security professionals practical exam in the handout. Looked fun too. :D
    Just like many restaurants have secret menus, you should ask about any available options to purchase pre-punched targets. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom