• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Travism30

Mar 31, 2007
    .50 beuwolf FTE, split cases

I have a alex arms .50 beuwolf upper that will not eject. After firing nothing happens. I have to pull the charging handle hard to eject the round. Attached are a few pictures of the spent casings. You can see the ejector is marking up the rim and the cases are split. These are not reloads. I checked the entire gas system, bolt and upper for defects and it seems fine. I'm thinking the chamber is to large and expands the case to where it is difficult to eject the case. Thoughts?
    Thank you.

Attachments

• 1449016691036-2079115792.jpg
      1449016691036-2079115792.jpg
      37.6 KB · Views: 332

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I gather this is the first time you fired it.

The primers look flat, a sign of pressure. I would think of headspace as a more likely place for a screw up. To get a chamber that's too big you would need a reamer that was too big.

But I'm just a guy at the end of the bar, not a gunsmith. In any event, I would not fire it again, it will not heal itself.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    WOW, never had any issues with mine. That is strange. I wish I had an answer for you.

Good Luck!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I gather this is the first time you fired it.

The primers look flat, a sign of pressure. I would think of headspace as a more likely place for a screw up. To get a chamber that's too big you would need a reamer that was too big.

But I'm just a guy at the end of the bar, not a gunsmith. In any event, I would not fire it again, it will not heal itself.

The primers look just like mine. I don't think it's a sign of over pressure, but the style of primer Alexander Arms is using.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Did you have more than the one box of ammo? Maybe some bad ammo. The thing kicks like a mule, so I' don't know how to tell you what to look for.

Travism30

Mar 31, 2007
    The more i researched it seems as though I have too much headspace. The cartridge is slamming into the bolt causing the markings on the headstamp and the flattened primer. I am going to get someone to gauge it. Assuming i do have too much headspace is their a remedy? the rifle has very little rounds thru it.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't think you have flattened primers. Mine look the same. As you can see, some of my brass has a mark from the extractor, but I have never seen a split case. I've shot well over 500 rounds through mine. I don't have an answer for you but I don't know how excessive headspacing is going to cause a split case like that because it's straight cased. Run a Q-tip around the chamber and see if you have a burr in the chamber.

Good Luck!

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Jim your primers have a radius where they meet the brass of the pocket. The OP's do not. Winchester primers run on the soft side, BTW.

Looking on the 'net people have had problems with Beowolf brass splitting but not with this kind of frequency on new brass.

If it is a headspace issue Alexander Arms should fix it.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    You may have an over sized chamber. Can you mike the diameter of the cases before and after firing?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    1 - Alexander Arms uses a Magnum primer in their factory loads, they don't seem to show real signs of pressure until the case has ruptured. Look at the ejector swipes on the OP's case rims, clear as day.

2 - Alexander Arms loads them HOT. Don't know why, but they do.

I owned and ran the piss out of a 16.5" A.A. 50 Beo upper, with factory loads, I EXPECTED no less than 3 to 4 split cases per 20 round box. Talked to Stephanie at A.A. about this issue, got nowhere. Even got into a little "chat" with Bill Alexander about it, got nowhere.

Called Starline about it, since they make the brass for A.A., never really got anywhere.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    And the failure to eject, that's due to the large gas port and hot ammo.

It's kicking the extractor off the rim before it even has a chance to extract. A stronger buffer spring (Wolffe XP is what I used) will help slow it down some.

Adjustable gas would be even better, but damn A.A. for using a .936" gas block seat - not one available in that size.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    To get a chamber that's too big you would need a reamer that was too big.

That not entirely true. A reamed hole is (almost) always larger than the reamer. Poor alignment, a chip under a flute, etc will cause it to be significantly larger. Its pretty easy to make a tapered hole w/ something as simple as a straight reamer:o In fact you have to work REALLY hard not to.

OP, put your general location in your profile. I could mic the chamber but afaik there is no SAAMI spec to compare it to. Might be able to make some educated guesses as to what it should be by comparing clearance to other straight-ish wall cases.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    1 - Alexander Arms uses a Magnum primer in their factory loads, they don't seem to show real signs of pressure until the case has ruptured. Look at the ejector swipes on the OP's case rims, clear as day.

2 - Alexander Arms loads them HOT. Don't know why, but they do.

I owned and ran the piss out of a 16.5" A.A. 50 Beo upper, with factory loads, I EXPECTED no less than 3 to 4 split cases per 20 round box. Talked to Stephanie at A.A. about this issue, got nowhere. Even got into a little "chat" with Bill Alexander about it, got nowhere.

Called Starline about it, since they make the brass for A.A., never really got anywhere.

And the failure to eject, that's due to the large gas port and hot ammo.

It's kicking the extractor off the rim before it even has a chance to extract. A stronger buffer spring (Wolffe XP is what I used) will help slow it down some.

Adjustable gas would be even better, but damn A.A. for using a .936" gas block seat - not one available in that size.
    OP, listen to this man. He knows what he is talking about when it comes to the .50 Beowulf.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Errrrr, whatcha talking 'bout Willis? :D .936 is a common gas block size for AR10s (and some AR15 bull barrels.) A 1/2" bore is a big hole afterall. Can't go too small on the gas block or the barrel walls would be too thin. There is a Sentry SLR in that size:
    http://www.tacticallink.com/SLR-Rif...-Nitride-Finish-for-AR15-and-AR10-Rifles.html
    Many moons ago was probably when he looked for one. So long ago, that that gas block wasn't even a daydream in a engineers left brain cell.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads