• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    I am a little confused what is different about these? I have Federal home defense loads with the flight control wad for some .... hmmmmm 4-5 years. So what is different?

fedepicpd13200.jpg

12 Gauge Shotshells by Federal - 2-3/4" Personal Defense 9 Pellet00-Buck Flight Control

I don't care about the pellet size really as the load stays together until impact.

As for drywall, it should not go through more than one drywall. That is the home defense rounds purpose. Pellets stay together until they hit something and disperse. If you shoot through one drywall the load should be so spread out that the next wall would be hit with very widely spread pellets which do not have the power to penetrate any further.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    I am a little confused what is different about these? I have Federal home defense loads with the flight control wad for some .... hmmmmm 4-5 years. So what is different?

fedepicpd13200.jpg

12 Gauge Shotshells by Federal - 2-3/4" Personal Defense 9 Pellet00-Buck Flight Control

I don't care about the pellet size really as the load stays together until impact.

As for drywall, it should not go through more than one drywall. That is the home defense rounds purpose. Pellets stay together until they hit something and disperse. If you shoot through one drywall the load should be so spread out that the next wall would be hit with very widely spread pellets which do not have the power to penetrate any further.

It's all about the sectional area of the pellets:

The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma.

The sectional area of this load @15 pellets would be 1.06 square inches so still .29 square inches improvement over 9 pellets of 00 buck.

More pellets filling more of the same area increases wounding potential.

Like I said earlier this load does not magically nullify 00 buck loads, they are still a great load. This is just a better alternative. Happy with your 00 load and don't want to shell out the investment for this load? No worries. But it's like say swapping your Speer Gold Dots for Federal HST, one load is a little better but they both work. Now let's say you haven't invested heavily in a load OR you're running low on your favorite... well here's something else to consider.

Right now I've got a nice stockpile of Federal LE127-00 which is pretty much the same load as pictured above. I'm not just going to dump it all off for this new load, but given the improvement I plan to one-for-one the LE127-00 with LE132-1B as I shoot it.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Haha, searching for "LE132-1B" your post is second coming up in google ...

So this must be a 3" shell then I assume to pack this load. Not sure if that makes a big difference in my 870, I believe I have 6 in the tube with some play, not sure if I would loose 1 or 2 rounds going to 3".

I certainly will pick some up when I see them just to see difference in pattern from my own gun.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Haha, searching for "LE132-1B" your post is second coming up in google ...

So this must be a 3" shell then I assume to pack this load. Not sure if that makes a big difference in my 870, I believe I have 6 in the tube with some play, not sure if I would loose 1 or 2 rounds going to 3".

I certainly will pick some up when I see them just to see difference in pattern from my own gun.

Nope, the "3" refers to "low recoil" in Federal-speak for whatever reason. It's a 2.75".

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    ^

To add to above, the reason that you get more wounding potential is because the numerically superior smaller BB's have a greater total surface area then the 00.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    ^

To add to above, the reason that you get more wounding potential is because the numerically superior smaller BB's have a greater total surface area then the 00.

With the obvious requirement that the pellets meet the minimum 12" of penetration. In the case of this load the average ballistic gelatine penetration in early tests shows 14-18". #1 buck is the smallest pellet size that maintains sufficient penetration, most tests with #4 (the next smallest at .27 caliber) show an average of 8-10". So the #1 buck load offers proper depth while allowing maximum payload.

Rmc

Aug 31, 2011
    #1 Buck is probably the most effective buckshot size there is (JMHO), and this is LONG overdue. I haven't been able to find it in quite a while and I'm down to less than 25.

#000, #00 and #0 are all a bit big in a 12 gauge, reducing pellet count and pattern density to marginal levels with the biggest pellets. New developments in buffering materials and wad technology has helped a lot, but it's not where it should be.

Everyone is captivated by the huge (#000~.36" & #00 ~ .33") pellets in the bigger sizes, but frequently overlook the fact that they spread out pretty rapidly and you can probably drive a truck between the pellets at longer distances.

If you want a dense swarm of decent size pellets, a good load of #1 Buck is just the ticket.

LOL at the "drywall testing". If it won't effortlessly go through a couple walls, it's obviously not powerful enough for dependable defensive use.

E. Shell:

Frankly 000B and 00B can no longer be considered "...huge pellets..." There are indeed tight patterning, high penetration, commercial buckshot rounds that are larger - such as the Dixie Tri-Ball 3" 12 gauge Buckshot round. Admittedly however this round's 60 caliber pellets exhibit too much penetration power to consider for "home defense." I look forward to trying out the new Federal #1B load for defensive purposes as well as for predator hunting when it becomes available.

Here is a picture comparing Tri-Ball 12, to an equal weight of 00B:

Attachments

• Tri-ball & 00B III.jpg
      Tri-ball & 00B III.jpg
      20.3 KB · Views: 425
    Last edited:

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Not sure why folks continue to futz around with 2.75" shells when you can almost double the pellet count in a 3"

15 00 pellets in a 3" shell are going to be far more devastating than ~8 in a std 2.75" round

At 20' or less (home defense) this is a no brainer imho and are far more readlily avail than some of the other loads being discussed.

BTW that fleece and headpiece or arm are not going to do much to defeat 15 00 pellets :innocent0

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    This thread is a year old...is the load still not out? I haven't seen it anywhere.

EDIT: I guess it is out, but hard to find. Cool thread at shotgunworld I found: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=293748

Patterns like a slug all the way up to 75' it looks like. I guess the advantage is the pellets are less likely to over-penetrate vs a slug.

Looking at the patterns, it still makes me laugh to hear people talk about not having to aim with a shotgun. Just point and shoot. With patterns like this, it would be easy to miss even at closer ranges.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I can only guess as to why this hasn't come to market. As a home defense round, it patterns too tight in that wad. The use of that wad (very thick walls) is why 1B could be used correctly in a 12ga, but it's the wrong wad for the intended use (IMO). I think it would be a good load for certain things, like Coyotes or Fox or Sika Deer if pushed to higher velocities. But as a HD load at 15 feet I would think you would want something that would open up a bit. Maybe this same idea with a thin walled spreader or post wad would work best.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    Has anyone used or heard of someone actually used a shotgun in a home defensive way?
    I'm guessing not as often as the debate over ballistics. ;) Ute

Good info though. I didn't know shells come in so many flavors.

beafly.cakes

I split a case of Remmington #1 buck with a buddy last year. It is what I currently have for HD. No, I've not used any outside of the range. I will say this, at 30ft (the longest hall in my house) they group all 16 pellets in about 6 inches from a 18" barrel. They kick like a mule as well.

I'd hate to be on the business end of them.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    This thread is a year old...is the load still not out? I haven't seen it anywhere.

EDIT: I guess it is out, but hard to find. Cool thread at shotgunworld I found: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=293748

Yes it does appear to be out in very limited quantities.

Old Painless from Box O' Truth got his hands on some and the results are predictably impressive:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot56.htm

VERY tight patterning.

This is from 15 yards:

56-06.jpg

The LE132-1B load is on the left and a generic, non-FliteControl load of 00 buck is on the right.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    That's not the load for me. I don't use a HD shotgun, but if I did I would want that pattern to open as quickly as possible in that sub 5 yard shot. The flight control wad doesn't allow for that. It's my guess that the FC wad is used simply because of it's thicker walls allowing for a better fit of the shot. It essentually turns the 12ga hull into a 16ga hull (in the shot column area), as 1B is the optimal buckshot size for a 16, while 00 works best in a 12. That said, this 1B load probably has some ideal applications found in longer shots (Sika Deer, Coyotes, Fox).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom