• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DTOM 47

Accident Prone
    Sep 16, 2013
    Carroll County
    So it's coming closer to gun ownership for me and I am confused by the transfer aspect of the gun ban for Maryland. I am wondering whether it would be possible to transfer a banned gun (ak47) to another family member (father to son) once 18 of course.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    So it's coming closer to gun ownership for me and I am confused by the transfer aspect of the gun ban for Maryland. I am wondering whether it would be possible to transfer a banned gun (ak47) to another family member (father to son) once 18 of course.

Yes, but you are not going to like the answer. :tdown::tdown:
    Unless he moves to a state that honors the 2A, you can only give it to him after you die. According to this morning's Sunpaper editorial, you are well compensated by how much safer your are since SB281 passed:puke2:

Rereading the original post, maybe you are the son. MOVE

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    IIRC there is a provision to transfer a banned AK47 to a family member...

Unfortunately you will need to die first so it can be transferred through an inheritance.

DTOM 47

Accident Prone
    Sep 16, 2013
    Carroll County
    Gun ban response

Ok so can we just remove the ban for like one day so that i can have it transferred to me (or maybe forever). It sucks that I can't have it transferred to me, I'll just have to find a semi auto that's not banned.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Ok so can we just remove the ban for like one day so that i can have it transferred to me (or maybe forever). It sucks that I can't have it transferred to me, I'll just have to find a semi auto that's not banned.

What's done is done. Meanwhile help to vote the bastards out and encourage all your friends to vote for freedom too.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014

It does suck. The VZ58/2008, the Sig 556 and the Ruger Mini 30 fit the caliber. However I think my M1 carbine is probably just as fun. NFA full auto is definitely more fun, but pretty damn expensive, both to buy and to feed.

If you are preparing for when the SHTF, consider that you are only one Mad Max and 47% of the population is going to sit outside Thunderdome and wait for you to fall asleep.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    It does suck. If you are preparing for when the SHTF, consider that you are only one Mad Max and 47% of the population is going to sit outside Thunderdome and wait for you to fall asleep.

To music and sung by Tina Turner, "We don't need another hee-ro".:D

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

Here in MD when in the past one could buy an AK47 type gun the minimum age was 21, not 18.

DTOM 47

Accident Prone
    Sep 16, 2013
    Carroll County
    I love that idea! Ill just borrow it for a severely long period of time and then return it when i need to. Great outside the box thinking!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Rethought this.

Possession prohibiting is for banned (post Oct 1, 2013) firearms.

Last edited:

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Buy an SKS. It's legal, fires the same round, is more accurate, and has future potential.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Actually, I was thinking of this again.

The ban on POSSESSION if for a post Oct 1, 2013 firearm. If the firearm can be legally possessed at all in the state, it should be legal for ANYONE to possess it.

It cannot be TRANSFERRED. So a loan/borrowing should still be legal.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You do realize that you can't just loan AWs in the same way you can loan a regulated firearm?

The ban imposses possession restriction in addition to transfer restrictions.

Possession is banned for POST OCT 1, 2013 firearms. If the father can possess it legally in MD, it can be loaned/borrowed. Just not transferred.

And the courts have ruled that transfer is a permanent change in ownership.

DTOM 47

Accident Prone
    Sep 16, 2013
    Carroll County
    Thank you for all the insight. I think loaning it for an extended period of time is what i'm going to do. Never would have thought of that on my own. Glad to see how in depth some of us can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom