• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I haven't been able to find any of the preferred pistol powders talked about on here but have located some Titewad-not Titegroup-is that an OK powder for .38, 9mm and .45? Have also found Clays but seem to think it may be for shot gun? Also am able to get Green Dot, along with some other Dot colors. Looking to start reloading so want something I can use in those 3 calibers to start out.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    I've never used titewad, but Clays will work for all three. In my experience, Clays has awesome accuracy in 45, but sucks in my 9s with any charge and bullet weight.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Titewad works fine in 45 acp, I would be hesitant about it in any kind if high pressure cartridge like 38 or 9mm.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Clays works well in 45ACP. I use it for 200 grain, and 230 grain cast bullets and been very happy with it. Its pretty clean burning.

The flakes are flat (almost looks like black chili pepper seeds) and metering is kinda goofy. You occasionaly will get an edge of a flake in between the metering drum, and get a crunchy powder throw. But it does meter the needed amount fine.

You dont get a full pound of Clays in a can either - its 14oz. But the powder is filled very high in the powder can, and you get just as many reloads, or even more then a full pound can.

You also need to watch what Clays powder it is. There is Clays, Clays Universal, and Clays International. Pistol data is NOT the same for all 3.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Clays works well in 45ACP. I use it for 200 grain, and 230 grain cast bullets and been very happy with it. Its pretty clean burning.

The flakes are flat (almost looks like black chili pepper seeds) and metering is kinda goofy. You occasionaly will get an edge of a flake in between the metering drum, and get a crunchy powder throw. But it does meter the needed amount fine.

You dont get a full pound of Clays in a can either - its 14oz. But the powder is filled very high in the powder can, and you get just as many reloads, or even more then a full pound can

You also need to watch what Clays powder it is. There is Clays, Clays Universal, and Clays International. Pistol data is NOT the same for all 3.

Who's math are you using ??? SLUGMANS ???
    If you start with less that 7000 grains how are you going to get more from a can less than 1 lb ? Because its fluffier ? :shrug:

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Who's math are you using ??? SLUGMANS ???
    If you start with less that 7000 grains how are you going to get more from a can less than 1 lb ? Because its fluffier ? :shrug:

Yes its fluffier, and you use less of it for an equal loading compaired to other pistol powders.

4 grains of Clays fills a 45ACP case alot higher then 5.3 grains of Win 231/HP-38 which is a similar loading.

You could not get a full lb of Clays in a 1lb can - the can is just about filled to the top when you open a new can with 14oz.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    There is one Titewad load for 9mm listed on hodgdons website. IIRC its 124gr hollow base plated berry bullet, 2.9gr starting load 3.4gr max. Its listed as staying subsonic too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom