• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    When I put that firearm into Google, I got a lot of of prices that are very similar to those she is asking (or even higher). Am I missing something?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    She will get that price. One of the ex owners of a gun store that I did some work for had spent $4000-$5000 regularly on Model 12 shotguns. Find a Model 42 and look at their prices. Never in all my years would I pay that kind of money for a 410 pump shotgun.

Jim Smith

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    She will get that price. One of the ex owners of a gun store that I did some work for had spent $4000-$5000 regularly on Model 12 shotguns. Find a Model 42 and look at their prices. Never in all my years would I pay that kind of money for a 410 pump shotgun.

Jim Smith

It really comes down to what you like/collect. A lot of shotgunners swear by the Model 12. I have never shot one. However, I wouldn't really bat an eye at spending $5,000 on a shotgun I like.

A lot of shotgunners would never spend $1, much less $5,000, on a rifle, or a POS black rifle.

It is all about what one finds attractive. Most people think I am nuts with what I spend on guns and bicycles. Tell somebody how much some of the motorcycles out there cost and they have a stroke. Same goes for mods to a car. Meanwhile, they are all into spending thousands of dollars on stamps or collectable coins.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Gary is a millionaire, he owns a stable full of thoroughbred horses. He races them in Florida up to to New York. He owns farms in 3-4 states, so he gets his jollies buying these Model 12 shotguns. Granted, he will never shoot them and many have never been shot before. He is a collector of fine firearms. I won't go into his Weatherby collection.

Jim Smith

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Blue Book of Gun Values has the model 12 Pigeon Grade

100% - $4,000
    98% - $3,750
    95% - $3,100
    90% - $2,600
    80% - $2,100
    70% - $1,650
    60% - $1,400

.28ga
    100% - $9,000
    98% - $7,250
    95% - $6,500
    90% - $5,500
    80% - $4,750
    70% - $4,000
    60% - $3,600

Add 25% for VR
    Add 100% for 20ga

Beware of potential fakes (i.e. inspect the engraved pigeon carefully if engraved on gun and also note the quality and finish of the extra grade woods.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Never put a lot of stock in The Blue Book. Any dealers here report their sales info to TBB?
    Pidgeon Grades always bring a lot of money by any major maker. Win Model 42's are crazy expensive, just a field model.
    Who'd want a 1960's car with carburetor that you can't find anyone to work one, drum brakes, no safety features etc. but people pay it.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    Model 12 pigeon for 5K, model not worth it, the bottom has dropped out of the model 12 market. A pigeon grade is a just engraved bird on barrel extension, pointed pistol grip checkering and extra diamond on forearm and polished action parts. The best feature is the polished parts for smooth action over time to break in the action.

Pigeon Grades were reasonable in the 80's & 90's but 5k would better spent on a super nice over under these days.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I'll own a safe full of these.....in my next life! In this one, not so much.

But I'll bet that many of us have never sat down and calculated the value of their collection. 5 grand can look cheap real quick.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Maybe a deal, maybe not, no description and no pictures,not even what gauge. Must not want to sell it that bad.
    You could have a 5K Pigeon Grade but it would have to be pristine with factory engraving and wood, a run of the mill is a 1K gun if you can find a buyer.
    Here is one that probably brought good money even though it is a Y Model, if it was not a Y who knows how high it would go.
    http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-123...-engraved-with-gold-cased-3-barrel-set-40561/

Feb 28, 2013
    Who'd want a 1960's car with carburetor that you can't find anyone to work one, drum brakes, no safety features etc. but people pay it.

You can't "find" anyone to work on those anymore because due to the lack of all the extra ******** that's there for no other reason than being mandated by the gooberment, any idiot can fix 'em.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Plenty of people work on old cars, parts are available, and they're pretty cool.

As for old guns, look at how many people are posting in the C&R section of this forum.

I just posted the original post here because I was curious if the seller was orbiting reality or she was smoking something weird.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

Add another to the growing list of people that would want one. Carburetor, no problem. Sure beats emission controls, electric steering, nav systems, airbags, and so on, and so on...

Nice car Jim. Tell me it has a 396 with 4 on the floor. :D

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Add another to the growing list of people that would want one. Carburetor, no problem. Sure beats emission controls, electric steering, nav systems, airbags, and so on, and so on...

Nice car Jim. Tell me it has a 396 with 4 on the floor. :D

John Deere 25hp tractor engine, with a 2 speed powerglide.

350 putting out about 375 hp and a turbo 350 with a small stall converter with 3.55:1 gears. I took out the power stuff and now I just cruise.

Jim Smith

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Not dissing vintage cars, Can think of many I'd like to own. Just saying as far as collectibles it's each to their own. Just watched Strange Inheritance tonite and thought who the pluck would pay $3,000 for a plucking comic book? Several garage owners have told me they can't find a mechanic who has ever seen a carburetor. Seems most of the younger guys coming up are just parts changers. Of course that's by manufacturer's design. For a pure SHTF vehicle I'd like a 1993-1997 Dodge diesel pickup with a 5.9 Cummins. 1,000,000 mile engine. No electronics to deal with and will burn just about anything you can find to put in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom