• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Well, if you got a shoulder bolt that was the full width (went through both sides), you could put a thin jamb nut on it. Would look & work better than the plain ones that are in there now at least. W/ regular bolts, I'd be worried that the threads tear up the upper's tabs when moving around under recoil.

Maybe better: cut a 1/4" pin to length and drill/tap both sides for a button head cap screws? A #8 screw will have a bigger head than 1/4".

Just thinking outloud... Im a hobby machinist and really enjoy stuff like this.

Not bad ideas at all, im going to fasten all tommorow and might look into the shoulder bolt idea....thanks!

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I think the only bolts in question are the ones that he is using to hold the upper and lower together temporarily (instead of takedown pins) in which case he would yes have to remove them to clean it.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Shoulder bolt works though would need to be specific about length (or the head side would be sticking out and not flush with the side if too long) other option would be to put a steel sleeve through the whole thing and then bolt.

Or just a hat pin with a c-clip.

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    A lot of great ideas fellas! I think im going to stay with stainless bolts and nuts for this first build.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    personally would only drill guide holes in the outter plates, then align the parts and drill/tap into the center sections and attach using countersunk machine screws and thread lock (for vibration)

the only section i don't have the equipment for is a tap to thread the buffer tube loop.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    personally would only drill guide holes in the outter plates, then align the parts and drill/tap into the center sections and attach using countersunk machine screws and thread lock (for vibration)

the only section i don't have the equipment for is a tap to thread the buffer tube loop.

Kind of like an AK screw build.

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    That is one Frankenstein looking MFer. cool. :thumbsup:

Thanks capman. Hopefully this build can help others streamline how they would make theirs. Im nameing this the MK1 after Iron man and the original suite (think when he was in the caves). I knew it wasnt going to be sleek, sexy, and cool....what I do like is how simplistic the design is. In all honesty I didnt know how this thing was going to bolt together when I was making it...I was just following blueprints. Now that other machinist/hobbiest can see it put together they can visualy see updates that they would make.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    come to think of it you could probably make it just wide enough that the trigger and hammer pins don't exit the sides but are held captive by them. or even inset bushings for the pins so they have no chance to ever enlarge.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Thanks capman. Hopefully this build can help others streamline how they would make theirs. Im nameing this the MK1 after Iron man and the original suite (think when he was in the caves). I knew it wasnt going to be sleek, sexy, and cool....what I do like is how simplistic the design is. In all honesty I didnt know how this thing was going to bolt together when I was making it...I was just following blueprints. Now that other machinist/hobbiest can see it put together they can visualy see updates that they would make.
    I can already see a StickyV2 coming soon... :thumbsup: ;)

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    I can already see a StickyV2 coming soon... :thumbsup: ;)

SWEEEEET!!!!!! I was already thinking about how I could make the outside look better as well as adding some finger grips on the front. I was also kicking around the idea of cutting triangles out of the magwell to lighten the overall weight......but I need to concentrate on finishing up MK1.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I too would go shoulder bolts or at the very least get a much longer 1/4-28 bolt that isn't completely threaded so it's 'shoulder' will fit inside the lower. Cut the extra threads off and put an acorn nut on it so it's pretty. Steel threads vs. aluminum hole, bolt always wins.

Cool little project, makes me want to get in the AR game

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    I too would go shoulder bolts or at the very least get a much longer 1/4-28 bolt that isn't completely threaded so it's 'shoulder' will fit inside the lower. Cut the extra threads off and put an acorn nut on it so it's pretty. Steel threads vs. aluminum hole, bolt always wins.

Cool little project, makes me want to get in the AR game

Another great idea with the acorn bolt to clean up the outside.

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Got some more time to dry fit the magazine release mechanism in. I had to grind a little on the side opposite of the button....might of been my mistake machining or blueprint errors.....becuase "cough cough" I dont make mistakes. :lol2:

So here it is with the mag release in, works like a champ. The entire thing is now taken apart and its going to get anodized later today. I would fit the firing group in but at some point Ijust have to trust I machined my parts correctly. After anodizing ill be takeing it to a etcher to make it official.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      74.3 KB · Views: 427

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads