• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I know this doesn't affect Maryland but the word is at the Shot Show is PSA is building their own AKM....PSAK47

Nothing on their website but on FB

Attachments

• PSA AK47b.jpg
      PSA AK47b.jpg
      68.9 KB · Views: 1,550
    • PSA AK47.jpg
      PSA AK47.jpg
      22.9 KB · Views: 1,463

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    Rut roh! Should I call customer support to cancel the 5.56 bolt carrier group I ordered from them (Never called them but know it might not be easy)? Should I avoid PSA?

I've never had a quality issue with anything they make or delivered. However, they have never been known for their speed of shipping.

-Whitey

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Will this end up like the PSA 1911? :lol2:
    Nice, first Kalashnikov is building a US plant now this.

RWC is planning on building a plant and they're not allowed to contact or do business with Kalishnikov Concern in Russia due to the sanctions, so Kalishnikov is not really "building" anything.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Will this end up like the PSA 1911? :lol2:

RWC is planning on building a plant and they're not allowed to contact or do business with Kalishnikov Concern in Russia due to the sanctions, so Kalishnikov is not really "building" anything.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Kalashnikov is a brand owned by RWC, and that brand called Kalashnikov is going to open up a new factory in the USA.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    RWC does in fact own the rights to the Kalashnikov name here. So you'd be correct, but when people refer to legitimate Russian Kalashnikov they're referring to the Kalashnikov Concern firearms produced by MOLOT and Saiga right? So in that respect, Kalashnikov Concern (and MOLOT and Saiga) are not producing rifles in America.

Is a US company planning on producing AK pattern rifles under the Kalashnikov USA brand name? Yes. I think the pedantism is warranted here though.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I'll buy one when it comes out. My dad but one of the complete carbines with an FN barrel, and it's been top notch. I wouldn't hesitate to buy their products.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Hate to burst other people's bubbles but this is most likely PSA building guns from Polish/Romanian parts kits and adding their own or other's U.S. parts to make them compliant so they won't be true "100% US AK's" since many parts still come from overseas. We will see how reliable they are but the track record for many U.S. assemblers of AK's has not been good, at least not for me to give them another chance.

To add to the "Kalashnikov Concern" USA bit (and I have it in parentheses for a reason) they will have zero connections with the real KC to the point they are not even allowed to talk to them and they only bought the rights to the name since they were the most recent company to import them:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/20/news/kalashnikov-made-in-usa/

So based on their circumstances what you will have at best is RWC reverse-engineering what they have in stock/what is already available in country (no AK-12's, no Vityaz-9 clones, no new KC products) meaning we will be stuck in 2014 when the imports stopped or at worst they will be like PSA building guns from parts kits then they slap the "Kalashnikov" brand on it hoping to fool gullible gun buyers.

I hope I am wrong about this but again the track record of American AK assemblers making promises and falling short of them is the only thing they seem to be consistent about.

And before you ask, no I will not buy any of these to try out. I have been burned by too many U.S. builders to give them another chance unless it is for a model that is commercially unavailable nor ever will be and at that point I am going to a qualified AK gunsmith. If the "Kalashnikov USA" becomes legit and other reviews are glowing I might give it a chance.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Hate to burst other people's bubbles but this is most likely PSA building guns from Polish/Romanian parts kits and adding their own or other's U.S. parts to make them compliant so they won't be true "100% US AK's" since many parts still come from overseas. We will see how reliable they are but the track record for many U.S. assemblers of AK's has not been good, at least not for me to give them another chance.

To add to the "Kalashnikov Concern" USA bit (and I have it in parentheses for a reason) they will have zero connections with the real KC to the point they are not even allowed to talk to them:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/20/news/kalashnikov-made-in-usa/

So based on their circumstances what you will have at best is RWC reverse-engineering what they have in stock/what is already available in country (no AK-12's, no Vityaz-9 clones, no new KC products) meaning we will be stuck in 2014 when the imports stopped or at worst they will be like PSA building guns from parts kits then they slap the "Kalashnikov" brand on it hoping to fool gullible gun buyers.

I hope I am wrong about this but again the track record of American AK assemblers making promises and falling short of them is the only thing they seem to be consistent about.

And before you ask, no I will not buy any of these to try out. I have been burned by too many U.S. builders to give them another chance unless it is for a model that is commercially unavailable nor ever will be and at that point I am going to a qualified AK gunsmith. If the Kalashnikov USA becomes legit and other reviews are glowing I might give it a chance.

Nope it says US made except for the furniture. The article or rep could be wrong, but I have no reason currently to believe that.

http://www.armoryblog.com/firearms/rifles/palmetto-state-armorys-new-ak47/

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Nope it says US made except for the furniture. The article or rep could be wrong, but I have no reason currently to believe that.

http://www.armoryblog.com/firearms/rifles/palmetto-state-armorys-new-ak47/

I guess we will see especially what the markings on the trunnion and rear sights say since those two spots are generally the dead giveaways of where the rifle is from.

If the reviews come back glowing for this rifle (over a period of time) and it is true the vast majority of parts are made in-house correctly to military arsenal specs I will eat my words on U.S. AK's.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I guess we will see especially what the markings on the trunnion and rear sights say since those two spots are generally the dead giveaways of where the rifle is from.

If the reviews come back glowing for this rifle (over a period of time) and it is true the vast majority of parts are made in-house correctly to military arsenal specs I will eat my words on U.S. AK's.

I mean I could see the rep being wrong, but I really doubt once they start selling them that PSA would lie about it.:shrug: Especially something so easy to prove wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom