• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • earthprime

Nov 7, 2014
    MD
    Are there places in MD where I can easily store my rifle collection, assuming I can't keep it in the home? I see some people use self-storage. Is there a more secure option, like a weapons shop that offers storage services?

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I don't know of anywhere around here that offers storage. Friends of family is your best bet. I am currently storing some rifles for a friend of mine.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah - put them in a gun shop for sale on consignment, and then list them for an outlandishly high fee so that no one in their right mind would buy them. Of course that really only works if you don't have a lot of guns, and if you aren't intending to use them while they are being "sold."

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Most shops won't take consignments at crazy prices. You might be able to use a climate-controlled self-storage, but I'd be real impressed if they controlled humidity well enough to prevent firearms damage.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I've often thought that a bonded, secure facility with double-blind access would be an interesting business model for a service that would appeal to some specific individuals who may not be allowed to have firearms in their domicile (such as military housing ) or who may not have room in their home for secure storage of a large collection.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I do know that some self-storage facilities do not allow firearms. On the other hand I do know, from personal experience, that firearms can be stored in climate controlled self-storage with no problems (moisture-wise)
    Security seems to be pretty good (as long as nobody knows there are guns in there you should be pretty safe)

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I talked to a guy over the summer who told me he kept his guns at a place in Columbia because his wife wouldn't let him keep them at home. He couldn't tell me the name of it and only a vague description of where it was located.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I rent a storage facility & it is climate controlled year round...

However they typically prohibit guns, ammunition, weapons, gasoline or chemicals of any kind from being stored there...

wrlg17

Dec 2, 2014
    Annapolis
    Has anyone tried storing guns in a place not climate controlled but putting them in storage bags to prevent corrosion? I just did that after oiling them up good. I bought these bags: ZCORR Anti Corrosion Velcro Tactical Rifle Bag. I hope they work. You can search on amazon with that name, they have good reviews.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Where are you located at in the county, if you don't have a whole bunch I can store them as long as you don't mind me shooting them off the porch every once in awhile.. ;)

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I used to keep some handguns in a indoor self-storage facility. They were in a peli box with a dehydrator pack. The peli box was in a moving carton that looked like any of the other 30 cartons stacked in the unit.

Plano molding makes airtight rifle cases. You could probably store 3-4 rifles in one case along with a dehydrator pack.

Check in your homeowners or renter policy whether it covers items stored in self-storage.

Sirex