Frostbite Shoot - Jan 27th, 2008 After Action Report!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    In order of appearance:

My 6.5-284 tac rifle:

This is going to get expensive ;) I might have to sell a few guns to finance 1 build!

I've been thinking about a bolt gun all day today.

I'm going to talk to Jaime (the 338LM's owner) tomorrow and see where to start.

You'll be hearing from me alot this year!

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Apparently someone dodged a bullet...literally. Whatever this was must have ricocheted off of one of the steel plates and landed in the bed of my truck. (Unless someone picked it up and put it there. Anyone?)

Hey Don,

Judging by size and (tubular) shape, that looks like the jacket from the .50 AP round that penetrated the steel. It is typical for the jacket to peel off an AP/API round and squirt back as the hardened penetrator carries through the plate.

You can also see on the plate pic below that the copper smear is considerably larger than the penetrator perforation:

This "squirting back" effect was discussed over here a while back:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=3388
    . . .1) Nothing but lead core bullets should ever be fired at steel. The vid mentioned by Redneck and noted in my original post is a perfect example of a steel core penetrator coming back. If it can't frag or go through, one can easily deduce that it will have to go "somewhere" . . .

2) Steel targets should be made of the correct material, i.e.: HARD steel. Hard steel disallows any penetration and causes lead core bullets to disintegrate in a radial pattern. Soft steel allows partial penetration and the bullet is allowed to stay intact by being trapped below the surface of the steel. There are MANY examples of the high-pressure "squirting" back of even soft bullets from a crater in soft steel.
    . . .

bmdmc

Nov 8, 2007
    damn, I'm really sad I missed this, looks like it was a blast.

You guys should quote a picture of yourself so those of us who weren't there can put faces to names.

I have an idea. Maybe good, maybe bad. But what about laminated name tags, with the logo on it and your screen name and your real name. To be worn at the shoots only, and if we do a dinner seat holding. We do this in car clubs all the time.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Hey Don,

Judging by size and (tubular) shape, that looks like the jacket from the .50 AP round that penetrated the steel. It is typical for the jacket to peel off an AP/API round and squirt back as the hardened penetrator carries through the plate.

You can also see on the plate pic below that the copper smear is considerably larger than the penetrator perforation:

Interesting. I figured it was a .50 round of some sort, as it is quite large. It would have definitely hurt, as it is a nasty piece of metal with razor sharp protrusions. Something to keep in mind for the next shoot.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Thanks for posting that Don.

The world is a safer place now that there's one less berm monster to attack us in our sleep.

I mean....I did hit the berm at least once or twice, right? :innocent0

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    30 seconds to get through 30 rounds in full-auto.....what great will-power this one has! :D

Willpower? oh not a chance!

Common sense? yeah....I haven't shot anything full auto in a long while, and had I stayed on the trigger I might've shot down the ATF helicopter by accident; the muzzle was climbing pretty good after a three shot burst.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    That was the first thing I noticed. Wish I woulda walked over and gave it a try.:sad20:

I'll try and remember you next time.

I think I'm going to make the 20" gun (the one that only worked for about an hour :sad20: ) into a 11.5" A2. Should be good fun on the 50 yard berm in f/a.

Full Auto at 100 yards is kinda pointless. The first round is one target the rest are over the berm.

bmdmc

Nov 8, 2007

Hey Don,

The 50 CAL ammo is ball only no AP/API. I heard a lot of richochets whizzing through the air later in the day, especially on the left end of the range. And I was not shooting. Someone weigh that thing in grains, if it's over 500 it's probably a 50, otherwise not.

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Found a Temp FT Job, :D

556Brass1.jpg

556Brass2.jpg

not even half of 5.56 that what was grounded.

I've been sorting all day;)

Note: found a Headstamp, "1K 03 556x45", thinking this is Ingram?

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Canuck and JeepDriver both gave me a ride on the full auto stuff, been a long time since I played with full auto guns and it was as fun as I remembered. Thanks guys!:)

Special thanks to JeepDriver for giving my buddy a ride on the full auto suppressed gun, he was still grinning when he woke up this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom