• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Got one of the Century Star's awhile back and finally got it out to the range on Friday. First trigger pull and the gun went off, but subsequent trigger pulls led to light primer strikes but no bangs.

Figuring my one stupid attempt at dry firing post cleaning when I first got the gun broke the firing pin, I ordered a new one.

Got a call today asking for me to send my other firing pin back since apparently Star B's had two different types of pins and he wanted to know which one I had.

After spending all night doing everything I can to drift the rear sight (no luck so far...), I have this thing dosed in Kroil. I randomly had the urge to push in the indicator (pushing the firing pin forward) and low and behold, the firing pin protruded and looks intact.

Can someone either post a pic of their firing pin protruded or even better pull off a measurement? Would love to think that somehow it was just gunk in the firing pin channel preventing the firing pin from fully protruding?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I don't have a Star, but I had a similar problem with a CZ52. It shot OK a few times and then had light strikes. I took it apart and found the firing pin to be OK but the channel that the firing pin rides in was packed with caked up cosmoline or grease. I cleaned it out real good and it's shot great ever since.

Jul 1, 2012
    tip is pretty much even with the extractor lip.

It sticks out about this much ->| |<- :)

Attachments

• FP1.JPG
      FP1.JPG
      117.9 KB · Views: 542
    • FP2.jpg
      FP2.jpg
      54.8 KB · Views: 543

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    see if you can retain the back end of the firing pin with friction, and then see if the firing pin can be made to protrude. If it does, your firing pin is broken.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    http://www.gun-parts.com/star/

Seems to be a good little shop. They want my firing pin for comparison however, and that's why I've been using the link that abr10dr has provided to try and remove it.

That said be prepared for that crapload of patience as that rear sight is really stuck in there.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Not to hijack the thread, but I've read that you're not supposed to dry fire a Star B. Why is that?

Only thing that I've found so far was here:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=40322

Where its basically: you need something to stop the firing pin before the rear hits the end of the retaining notch... hoping after a day of soaking that rear sight, I can actually see how the firing pin is retained and figure out whats going on in there.

Jul 1, 2012
    Ok that is exactly like what mine looks like. Are you having to apply force to get it to protrude that far or is gravity able to do it?

Full-on force with a brass punch at the back. If it moves into the chamber area (or at all) from gravity the spring or pin done be broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom