• Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Bah
    Not so bad. Maybe it was the PPU ammo
    208g and 2100fps on my Chrono
    Maybe the PPU is a slow powder but it was not as hard as people were saying, yes noticeable but 30 rounds and only the first half with the slip on Limb saver pad.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Took to range
    Used PPU soft point
    All pics are 25 yards
    First is the 1920 Czech bench
    2nd is 1903 Bulgarian contract bench
    3rd is 1903 Czech offhand
    The bore on both is frosty
    I'm hoping shooting 100 rounds through each will smoothen the lands and make them shoot better
    My reloads may help too. The bullets I have should be a bit larger than tha PPU
    As you can see the 1903 was better but still not good. Still though it's an interesting gun

Bulgarian contract looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I'm glad to see some more folks have recently become interested in Steyr M95's and their variants.:thumbsup: You already know they can bruise your shoulders. That's part of their fun reputation and mystique. :)

Nice shooting, Melnic. Steyrs are not noted for pinpoint accuracy.

I've said this before: Reloading is the most economical way to feed M95's. Shooting expensive nazi ammo and Prvi factory rounds is fun. Reloading Prvi brass with JB's can bruise your shoulder too (with the right recipe). However, cast boolits from Lee .329 molds make plinking affordable and put you in control of the ammo.

Below is an ad for Steyrs from SOG back in Sept 2008. I didn't jump on it then (but hindsight makes us wiser). Instead I picked up an M95 on a GB auction for $100. It included Hornady dies, ammo, clips, bullets etc.

Been enjoying range trips my "mule" attends ever since.

:D

Attachments

• Steyr SOG Ad.jpg
      Steyr SOG Ad.jpg
      60.6 KB · Views: 107
    • M95 (R).jpg
      M95 (R).jpg
      26 KB · Views: 111
    • Auction Reloading Goodies Capture.JPG
      Auction Reloading Goodies Capture.JPG
      43.7 KB · Views: 108
    • Reloaded Ammo Capture.jpg
      Reloaded Ammo Capture.jpg
      53.5 KB · Views: 109

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I'm glad to see some more folks have recently become interested in Steyr M95's and their variants.:thumbsup: You already know they can bruise your shoulders. That's part of their fun reputation and mystique. :)

I've said this before: Reloading is the most economical way to feed M95's. Shooting expensive nazi ammo and Prvi factory rounds is fun. Reloading Prvi brass with JB's can bruise your shoulder too (with the right recipe). However, cast boolits from Lee .329 molds make plinking affordable and put you in control of the ammo.

Below is an ad for Steyrs from SOG back in Sept 2008. I didn't jump on it then (but hindsight makes us wiser). Instead I picked up an M95 on a GB auction for $100. It included Hornady dies, ammo, clips, bullets etc.

Graf & Sons sells PPU bullets at a good price. Does anyone know where to find recipes for the PPU bullets, or do people just use the Lee book? I need to reload a new caliber like I need a hole in my head but I love to shoot everything I own. I figure for $143 shipped, it's better than a mosin (one day I will buy a 91/30 ..... )

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Tried some reloads, My heaviest load was 42grn Varget @1875fps.
    These are light loads compared to the 2100fps of the PPU.
    First PIC is the last 5 of the 42grn Varget using the 1903 Steyr
    Not sure how the military rounds were loaded.
    With the condition of the bore, don't think reloads make much of a difference but the target below would be tolerable if I can adjust the front sight to match the POA.

Just to compare what a good rifle would do, I shot the 1903a3 also from the bench at 25yards (second pic)

Edit, The top target is 5 shots of 42grns Varget and 2 shots of 43grains.
    Bottom target for the 1903a3 is 10 rounds of Greek Surplus.

Attachments

• Reloads25yds.JPG
      Reloads25yds.JPG
      43.7 KB · Views: 105
    • 1903a325yds.JPG
      1903a325yds.JPG
      37.5 KB · Views: 103
    Last edited:

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Tried some reloads, My heaviest load was 42grn Varget @1875fps.
    These are light loads compared to the 2100fps of the PPU.
    First PIC is the last 5 of the 42grn Varget using the 1903 Steyr
    Not sure how the military rounds were loaded.
    With the condition of the bore, don't think reloads make much of a difference but the target below would be tolerable if I can adjust the front sight to match the POA.

Just to compare what a good rifle would do, I shot the 1903a3 also from the bench at 25yards (second pic)

I think that looks much better than the targets you posted yesterday. I would reload for no other reason than to save money.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK, learning about the rear sights.
    Look here:
    http://www.hungariae.com/Mann9530.htm
    I have the original M95 Schritt sights
    I was shooting at the 500 Schritt setting.
    I need to flip it up, then raise up the movable rear sight and shoot at 300 for close range I think. I measured the difference between the 500 setting and the 300 setting and the 300 setting is about .1" lower. This should lower my groups considerably.
    I'm going to try and drift my front sight left and then shoot at 300 Schritt next time.

Oh, since my front sight on this 1903 Steyr M95 has a banded front sight, I know it started its life as a long rifle and then was cut down. But it retained its original sights though.

Attachments

• Sight4.JPG
      Sight4.JPG
      31.1 KB · Views: 101
    • Sight1.JPG
      Sight1.JPG
      40.9 KB · Views: 102
    • Sight2.JPG
      Sight2.JPG
      43.8 KB · Views: 99
    • Sight3.JPG
      Sight3.JPG
      40.9 KB · Views: 103

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    OK, learning about the rear sights.
    Look here:
    http://www.hungariae.com/Mann9530.htm
    I have the original M95 Schritt sights
    I was shooting at the 500 Schritt setting.
    I need to flip it up, then raise up the movable rear sight and shoot at 300 for close range I think. I measured the difference between the 500 setting and the 300 setting and the 300 setting is about .1" lower. This should lower my groups considerably.
    I'm going to try and drift my front sight left and then shoot at 300 Schritt next time.

Oh, since my front sight on this 1903 Steyr M95 has a banded front sight, I know it started its life as a long rifle and then was cut down. But it retained its original sights though.

Right. Have to raise the sights to "lower" it to 300 which is what I did when I shot my new Steyr today. Figured it would shoot high at 25 yds, but actually shot pretty much on for elevation. My groups were not as tight as Melnic, probably due to marksmanship, but mine shot more to POA. Still, not a very accurate rifle, compared with contemporaries.

Other observations:

1) Kick is substantial but not too bad

2) big fireball (cool)

3) enbloc feed system worked great on my rifle, especially compared with my Caracanos and Berthier which have some issues

4) Straight bolt is stiff compared to a turnbolt. Shot my Ishapore SMLE (grenadier) today too, and besides being a lot more accurate than the Steyr it cycles like budda by comparison

5) Used PPU softpoints on the Steyr and they did not want to pass through the feed ramp. Had to really ram them through and those points were mangled for sure before firing which I'm sure did not help accuracy

6) Action ejects like a beast (unlike an Enfield) and had cases all over the place

7) Overall a fun little rifle that works ok (considering it is 100+ years old) and no regrets for picking it up

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    JKieler, Did you dissassemble the bolt then grease it?
    Before I greased it, it was much worse, some silicone based grease and it was tolerable but yes, stiffer than a turn bolt. Yes, I lost a case cause I yanked the bolt back and did not see where the shell ejected onto the front grass.

No regrets here either.

I looked at my front sights.
    The 1903 Bulgarian has the banded sight, Bumping it canted the front sight so I''ll have to cant it into place at the range next time.
    The 1920 Czech front sight is loose. Maybe a reason it was all over the place. I placed some blue loctite on it for now and will shoot it to see how much I need to move it.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri

Good call on the cast bullets.
    That's what I've been doing and its cheap and a blast to shoot. My Lee mold drops them at around .331. I then powder coat them and run them through a Lee sizer that I opened up to .331. I've gotten some nice accuracy. I use 20gr of 2400

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Graf & Sons sells PPU bullets at a good price. Does anyone know where to find recipes for the PPU bullets, or do people just use the Lee book? I need to reload a new caliber like I need a hole in my head but I love to shoot everything I own. I figure for $143 shipped, it's better than a mosin (one day I will buy a 91/30 ..... )

I use the Hornady bullet that Grafs sells, but its very similar to the PPU I believe. Its a 205gr soft point .330.
    I have gotten the best accuracy with 41gr IMR 4064, which gives me about 1930fps

I've also experimented with TAC around 42gr, but accuracy in mine isn't as good as 4064.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    JKieler, Did you dissassemble the bolt then grease it?
    Before I greased it, it was much worse, some silicone based grease and it was tolerable but yes, stiffer than a turn bolt. Yes, I lost a case cause I yanked the bolt back and did not see where the shell ejected onto the front grass.

I disassembled the bolt and cleaned it. I did not grease or oil it heavily, just a spray of Rem-oil on the parts before reassembly. Next time I disassemble I'll slather it a bit more.

I have a Swiss K31 straighbolt which also takes a bit of a yank to cycle, but not so much as the Steyr. Overall, while I think the straightbolt is interesting, I see why most felt the turnbolt design superior (both for a secure lock and cycling) and no surprise to me that it eventually became more popular. Same with the enbloc clip v. strippers. I think this rifle is particularly interesting historically in that it has both elements of these essentially disfavored designs.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Where do we find recipes? Nothing in the Lee or Hornady manuals.

There are recipes in the Lee Dies but I got my Varget start load by reading on other's successes and I started low.

I revived an 8x56r thread in the reloading section.

I think the bolt needs more grease than oil around the area that rotates but nothing near the firing pin.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Where do we find recipes? Nothing in the Lee or Hornady manuals.

There isn't much out there. I have tons of reloading manuals and choices are slim. I spent a LOT of time reading forums for every 8x56R reloading thread I could find, compared people's loads with what little published loads there actually are, and have come up with some good ones.

I emailed Ramshot and they sent me some load data for TAC and X-Terminator. Ramshot is really good about that if you contact them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom