Whats everyones aversion to modifying CNR arms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    I see it all the time where people cry and throw shame out to others when they see a modified CNR rifle.

The perfect example is the Mosin Nagant. I know alot of people like these old goats. I don't know why. They are old heavy and quite often filthy nasty in cosmoline. I bought one like everyone else because for $99 it would be hard to find a rifle that isn't worth that little cash.

I understand there are rare versions and some with hex receivers and super duper rare sniper model which maybe historically significant and available in such low numbers that preserving the firearm given its rarity is important.

What about your run of the mill, no one gives a crap mosin. Hell I would have used mine as a ball peen hammer if it had been more ergonomic. Why do so many care if you decide to do a trigger job, carve your name into the stock or hack saw the rifle into something which would hardly be recognizable as a mosin not to mention most likely unsafe and probably now illegal? These things are still being brought over in troves of crates. If half are destroyed hell that guy probably did you a favor by upping your rarity and now you only have 1 out of 45 and a half million. If they keep going someday the value may rise to something respectable.

Now I joke and kid about the Mosin just because of their numbers there are tons. It doesn't mean its bad. Just very common. What better to try out your freshly acquired "Playschool My first Gunsmith License"

I feel the same way about any firearm really. If the parts are cheap and readily available I believe they are the best to experiment with or to customize to taste. My SKS will modified to the way I like. I don't plan on trashing it by doing the work myself ( I don't have a death wish or nothing) However, I have a vision in my head that is appealing to me and I don't care if the historic value is gone. I am not planning to sell it although once the work is done, many will appreciate it whether they agree with modifying a CNR or not.

Why will some find such sacrilege with what I am saying ?

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    they are only original once.
    todays cheap deer gun is tomorrows high dollar original.
    how many people are trying to restore grandpa's WW2 mauser deer rifle?

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    they are only original once.
    todays cheap deer gun is tomorrows high dollar original.
    how many people are trying to restore grandpa's WW2 mauser deer rifle?

I see your point but using that same theory you would never have seen the super modified hotrods built on yesterdays bodies and frames.

I see value in making something your own and it being what you want it to and not what someone has just given you. No?

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I agree. I saw the thread where everybody was crying over a camo round receiver Mosin. Oh the horror! C'mon, it's a gun that is nearly literally a dime a dozen, with millions and millions produced. It'll never be sentimental to any US person, good luck getting it back to Grandpa Gorbachev.

-Jim

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    I believe if I buy it, it's mine and I'll soup it up however I see fit. BTW - I have a C&R but haven't bothered with a Mosin. If I ever do, it'll eventually be a Franken-Mosin.
    *** Unless it's an M-44 :evilgrin3

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I see it all the time where people cry and throw shame out to others when they see a modified CNR rifle.

The perfect example is the Mosin Nagant. I know alot of people like these old goats. I don't know why. They are old heavy and quite often filthy nasty in cosmoline. I bought one like everyone else because for $99 it would be hard to find a rifle that isn't worth that little cash.

I understand there are rare versions and some with hex receivers and super duper rare sniper model which maybe historically significant and available in such low numbers that preserving the firearm given its rarity is important.

What about your run of the mill, no one gives a crap mosin. Hell I would have used mine as a ball peen hammer if it had been more ergonomic. Why do so many care if you decide to do a trigger job, carve your name into the stock or hack saw the rifle into something which would hardly be recognizable as a mosin not to mention most likely unsafe and probably now illegal? These things are still being brought over in troves of crates. If half are destroyed hell that guy probably did you a favor by upping your rarity and now you only have 1 out of 45 and a half million. If they keep going someday the value may rise to something respectable.

Now I joke and kid about the Mosin just because of their numbers there are tons. It doesn't mean its bad. Just very common. What better to try out your freshly acquired "Playschool My first Gunsmith License"

I feel the same way about any firearm really. If the parts are cheap and readily available I believe they are the best to experiment with or to customize to taste. My SKS will modified to the way I like. I don't plan on trashing it by doing the work myself ( I don't have a death wish or nothing) However, I have a vision in my head that is appealing to me and I don't care if the historic value is gone. I am not planning to sell it although once the work is done, many will appreciate it whether they agree with modifying a CNR or not.

It wasn't that long ago people were saying the same thing about Krags, Springfields and Mausers. Many, many of these rifles were sporterized (I myself have one of each) They are great for what they are but the history and originality are gone forever. Every time an old rifle is sporterized the value of the remaining guns goes up.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It wasn't that long ago people were saying the same thing about Krags, Springfields and Mausers. Many, many of these rifles were sporterized (I myself have one of each) They are great for what they are but the history and originality are gone forever. Every time an old rifle is sporterized the value of the remaining guns goes up.

It feels really good bringing a Krag back from the brink.

And beater SKS's too.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

Curios and Relics. That is why some collectors feel strongly about not modifying their guns. People are free to do as they want, but there are true COLLECTORS out there. Collecting and history is their philosophy. I am not one of them in the truest sense of the word, but I prefer to keep my C & R guns original with very few exceptions.

Some art collectors would be upset if someone were to take an Andy Warhol print and modify it; others would consider it a different art form. That modified print's value would certainly be diminished, but if the value and history wasn't important to the owner, then no problem. Of course, once it's modified it's often very difficult to return it to original when philosophies change or value and/or history becomes important.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I'm somewhat new to guns and I find the sportorize vs keep original debate fascinating. My Dad has an old Russian SKS that he bought in, I think, like the 70s at a gun show. The SKS looks like it is in pristine condition. It was actually sold as a "kit" I think and included a scope and some other parts so that it could be sportorized. We have kind of debated whether to complete the sportorization or not. I've also heard about people putting tech sites on an SKS. If I didn't put the scope on it I might still put tech sites on it because I just think that is so much more usable than the factory sites.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I see your point but using that same theory you would never have seen the super modified hotrods built on yesterdays bodies and frames.

I see value in making something your own and it being what you want it to and not what someone has just given you. No?

which is worth more now?
    an original one or one thats been messed with?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    The easy way to scratch that itch is to buy an already started one. Find a mosin in a choate stock, buy an old 1903a3 that was cut down into a hunting rifle.

Don't start with an unmolested rifle when there are so many already sporterized to choose from.

I love my typewriter gun (smith corona 1903a3)

DSC00552crop.jpg

barrel was already cut down and it was already drilled. I just refinished the wood, had it parked and added some of those personal touches.

I've got another 1903a3 that was a sporter I bought at cabelas that I'm having drilled to make a 1903a4 clone (the receiver was side drilled for lymans) that one is going to look more military but be less in the end.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'm somewhat new to guns and I find the sportorize vs keep original debate fascinating. My Dad has an old Russian SKS that he bought in, I think, like the 70s at a gun show. The SKS looks like it is in pristine condition. It was actually sold as a "kit" I think and included a scope and some other parts so that it could be sportorized. We have kind of debated whether to complete the sportorization or not. I've also heard about people putting tech sites on an SKS. If I didn't put the scope on it I might still put tech sites on it because I just think that is so much more usable than the factory sites.

You have to destroy the original cover pin/latch to put the Tech-Sight on.

Not a great product anyway.

If you want to really improve the rear sight on an SKS, take a small, round jeweler's file and make a radius wear the V is on the leaf.

It'll be like night and day, but I only do it to my project SKS rifles.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The easy way to scratch that itch is to buy an already started one. Find a mosin in a choate stock, buy an old 1903a3 that was cut down into a hunting rifle.

Don't start with an unmolested rifle when there are so many already sporterized to choose from.

I love my typewriter gun (smith corona 1903a3)

DSC00552crop.jpg

barrel was already cut down and it was already drilled. I just refinished the wood, had it parked and added some of those personal touches.

I've got another 1903a3 that was a sporter I bought at cabelas that I'm having drilled to make a 1903a4 clone (the receiver was side drilled for lymans) that one is going to look more military but be less in the end.

Show and tell time.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    1894 Krag.

When I got her, she had a hacksawed barrel, broken fore stock, no hand guard, and covered in black rust. But with all that, the bore was bright and shiny.

It took quite a bit of time a lot of ingenuity to bring her back.

I thought a zinc park would look nice.

krag 002.JPG

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Know what you're bubba-ing:

saw on FB Someone found a "P-28" Finn Mosin on GB. Unfortunately bubba got to it and cut it down and ruined it. Guy bought it for $120 just to study it and reference it.

This is what was posted:

A new variation that no one knew existed. So far the sole.example. Not Lapin, not Vic of gunboards, not 7.62x54r.net knew this even existed. Most likely a $1k-$2k rifle on gunbroker with a proper description. Chopped into a $93 BIN gunbroker sporter. Please, research what you have before you start modding.

The p-28 follows the pattern of well documented p-27 and p-26 rifles as far as the various markings on the barrel go. It also has the Finn army boxed SA stamp according to the seller, and the stock still shows the common Finn forearm splice. There is an importer-added serial number on the receiver

Here is the link from gunboards. He is going to post detailed pics when he gets it.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?359943-What-do-you-make-of-this-a-Finn-P-28

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If someone knows that their chosen project-piece is run of the mill and not something truly collectible - then I can't say much if they do whatever to it, it's their firearm/money.

I've refinished 1 C&R eligible gun, and that one's been in my family since 1919 - and will remain in the family. So I didn't mind the fact the refinish gutted the cash value. It's worth more in family history than whatever money someone would ever offer.

Just make sure of what you have first.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    CNR?

It's C&R.

Which to me, explains a lot about why you're even asking the question.

You may as well be on a stamp collecting forum, asking "what difference does it make, if I lick this 100-year old stamp and use it for postage?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom