• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If you are building a new home I would consider a residential variable refrigerant flow system. They can be installed for about 50-75% less than a geo system and people see a substantial savings over geothermal heat pumps. Plus you can the added benefit of true zoning capabilities. My parents have one and love it and I'm putting one in my home this fall.

Congratulations on being an early adopter :)
    VFR is the future of HVAC.

VRF is the logical extension of the old 2 speed technology and multiple circuits within one system.

Only use the capacity you need only when & where you need it ... also gives dramatic humidity reduction when you need it. 80° is comfortable if its dry enough.

Wiley

MDS Supporter
    Jul 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    My loops are in less than ideal shale but the temperatures of the geo fluid also is in the 40 range at end of heating season. I have never seen it in the 30's. The propane is used for HW, cooking and grill - so it is not all heat. The units are probably properly sized but we have a window wall with a huge amount of glass that faces the wind in the winter. If we sized to that load for heating we would be oversized for cooling.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Is this a comfortable and affordable option? What is the benefit over going for a solar electric system?

Geo, while costing more up front vs a convention system will pay for itself thru lower monthly bills. Solar, meehhhhh, not worth it IMHO. The only reason you see solar in the commercial world is the goverment subsidies they will never, at todays equipment level, be cost effective.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Solar makes sense for hot water; esp for the sunniest 6 months.

Probably 100% on the summer side of the equinoxes and 50% for preheating/cost reduction on the winter side. An expensive solar water heating system can probably get the job done all year.

I am stunned that building codes do not require at least partial solar hot water on new builds

Solar electric ... I do not trust the long term reliability of any of the components ... a lot of sucker sales going on that will end up with long term buyer's regret when stuff breaks before its made its cost payback

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    One other consideration when doing horizontal loops is that you need a good 3-4' of separation between your well supply line into the house and any GT loops. If not, you can freeze your well supply line in the heating cycle. Since Easterday is installing, one or both for you, they'll make sure you're properly installed.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    I am in construction also and many of our projects are going VRF. That is what i would like to retrofit in my house. The efficiency is great and if you dont have the land for geothermal it is a good option.

They now have inverter geothermal systems (variable flow air/coolant). Same principal as VRF and 30% more efficient that 2 stage geothermal systems were. For example, check out the Waterfurnace 7 series unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom