• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Once again we are beginning the search for some new employees. We are currently looking for people in our Maryland, Florida (immediate), and St Louis offices.

The job is a technician working in our leak detection and tube cleaning divisions. This is an entry level position and the pay rate is commensurate with that. The basic range of skills include:

1) Assist a project manager in conducting power plant inspections (condensers, generators, etc...) while receiving training in performing said inspections.
    2) Perform condenser and heat exchanger tube cleaning under the guidance of project managers
    3) Perform office work when not assigned a project (mostly maintenance activities on equipment)

This is an on-call position and you are required to answer your company phone within reasonable hours (waking hours).

The starting pay is $10 an hour plus benefits (details below), but that is also dependent on a person's experience. A person with industrial experience, current TWIC card holder, etc... is obviously more attractive.

We are looking for someone who wants a career, rather than a job.

I encourage you, if you are interested, to keep in mind the following:

1) The hourly wage includes overtime for all hours worked over 8 in one day and all weekend work is OT and on average you will get probably around 10-20hrs a week on a good paycheck. Some weeks you will get as high as 40+ hours of overtime with travel, and some you will get none. I will say that spring and fall outage seasons are usually very busy. You are guaranteed 40hrs a week, and anything over 8hrs a day is OT. All weekend work (Sat and Sun) is all OT, and you are on the clock when traveling as well.

2) The company pays all travel expenses, as well as a daily per diem rate of $40 cash. If you are careful, you can eat on much less than this and pocket the rest, tax free. You are also not spending out of pocket on food, gas, etc... when on the road so that does increase the value of your paycheck as well.

3) The company provides a cell phone with unlimited minutes/data for free. Current phones we are using are the new Sprint smartphones, so they are very nice and can be used for personal business (as long as you answer it when the company calls).

4) Benefits - we pay full medical/dental/vision coverage for you and your family. Zero out of pocket for this, which I'm sure you know the cost can be considerable. I've been here 10 years and still have full benefits. We also match up to 4% for 401k retirement, provided you contribute at least 6%.

5) Equipment - all company uniforms are provided, as well as boots (within reason). You will have no clothes ruined working for us.

6) Advancement - 100% of our Project Managers started out as technicians, and the average length of time to be promoted can vary, but most manage it between 1-3 years. Project manager pay and bonuses is a good bit higher than for technicians.

7) We are hiring for all of our 4 offices, which are in MD, Tampa FL, St Louis MO, and Dallas TX. If you are willing to move, that will be a plus. New offices in the future are planned further west ( we average a new office opening every 2-3 years).

8) People - I will say that our current workforce is the best group of guys I've ever worked for (we don't currently employ any women) and we have a great time on the road. We work hard, we play hard.

9) Retirement - the company matches up to 4% of your salary in a 401k. Bonuses are obviously dependent upon how we did that year, but in 10 years I've only not gotten a Christmas bonus once. Most years we see a mid-year bonus as well if the spring outage season goes well.

10) Vacation - we get 10 paid holidays off per year, plus 2 weeks paid vacation. The more notice the better when taking vacation. If you work a holiday, the first 8 hrs is 2.5 times normal, after that is normal overtime.

The main disadvantage is the time away from home - if you have a family, wife, kids, it is tough. You WILL miss things (birthdays, parties, etc...) and it is very hard to plan weekends and social events. On the plus side, at least for me, is that your SO will appreciate you more when you are around.

I realize this reply is pretty long, but I wanted to express my belief that this is not just a job, but a career opportunity that is truly limitless.

My cell phone number is 443-220-6685, and my email address is rbloss@americanefficiency.com. Our office number is 410-489-0613. If you call the office, ask for myself (Rich) or Robert Mechem.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, and I hope to hear from you. Email is a preferred method of contact for me, as I can check that in real time vs PMs here. Plus to be honest, all I'll tell you in a PM is to send me your resume.

Last edited:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    4) Benefits - we pay full medical/dental/vision coverage for you and your family. Zero out of pocket for this, which I'm sure you know the cost can be considerable. I've been here 10 years and still have full benefits. We also match up to 4% for 401k retirement, provided you contribute at least 6%.

THAT is right strong and really offsets the starting pay. :thumbsup::cool:

Hope they can maintain it after the bastards health care kicks in full bore.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Why should I have to use google? the OP is posting a job offer and should give a description of duties required.

You are correct, post edited.

Basically a technician job that is designed to teach someone the industry. All project managers start as techs.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

chevydave

Sep 24, 2011
    severna park
    This is the BEST job I have ever had and the hourly starting pay may seem low but with OT and health insurance and the rest of the benefits I barely noticed the cut in pay I took when I started. I took roughly and $8/hr paycut coming to AES and will and haven't looked back since.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    This is the BEST job I have ever had and the hourly starting pay may seem low but with OT and health insurance and the rest of the benefits I barely noticed the cut in pay I took when I started. I took roughly and $8/hr paycut coming to AES and will and haven't looked back since.

Dave has been with us for about 15 months now and is working hard to be promoted to project manager level.

I updated the original post with a bit more detail.

RoKKboXXer

Feb 27, 2013
    Catonsville
    That is the attitude that I would look for in a perspective employee. :sad20:

Well sarge, I am not a perspective employee, as I am set in my own career choices. I asked a simple question to the OP about what the job entailed. Surely just an simple omission on his part. No one asked you put you .01 cent in about my abilities as to how well I can use a search engine.

RoKKboXXer

Feb 27, 2013
    Catonsville
    And yet you still asked for the job description.

So can I assume you don't have any friends or family that have been laid off or fired in this tough economy? If that is the case, consider yourself lucky and count your blessings. I personally look out for my fellow man in these harrowing times. If you must know, I have a neighbor who is not currently working and who can barely afford to pay his bills, let alone pay for luxuries like the internet. I do not try to pretend I know what another man's intentions or motives are. Why should you?

RoKKboXXer

Feb 27, 2013
    Catonsville
    RichB, thank you for updating the description. I apologize for tying up the thread by bickering with sarge. I've relayed the description and info along to a friend, hope it works out for the both of you.

GRAA_MD

May 5, 2013
    Maybe I'm missing it, but what is the job description?
    1) Assist a project manager in conducting power plant inspections (condensers, generators, etc...) while receiving training in performing said inspections.
    2) Perform condenser and heat exchanger tube cleaning under the guidance of project managers
    3) Perform office work when not assigned a project (mostly maintenance activities on equipment)

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    RichB, thank you for updating the description. I apologize for tying up the thread by bickering with sarge. I've relayed the description and info along to a friend, hope it works out for the both of you.

Its no issue, you had a valid point.

Bumping as well, looking to hire people soon.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX

THAT is right strong and really offsets the starting pay. :thumbsup::cool:

Hope they can maintain it after the bastards health care kicks in full bore.

You and me both, my friend.

Hatter

NEWB - Slack Appreciated!
    Mar 6, 2013
    Stewartstown, PA
    Sounds like a great job. I am trying to get my son to apply, but the travel part has him spooked. He has seen how much I travel in my job.

Wish I were a few years younger, I would consider it myself. I have LOTS of the training and so forth you are looking for:

40 Hr HAZWOPER
    8 Hr HAZWOPER updates for the last 15 years or so
    8 Hr Supervisors update
    10 Hr OSHA (Industry)
    e-RailSafe (through CSX)
    WHMIS (Canada)
    RadWorker II at Savannah River and Paducah (likely both expired by now though)
    TWIC card
    Passport
    LOTS of site specific training at Dupont, Dow, and similar industrial plants
    20 plus years technical field experience (mostly chemistry related environmental)

You sure entry level folks are all you need?

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Sounds like a great job. I am trying to get my son to apply, but the travel part has him spooked. He has seen how much I travel in my job.

Wish I were a few years younger, I would consider it myself. I have LOTS of the training and so forth you are looking for:

40 Hr HAZWOPER
    8 Hr HAZWOPER updates for the last 15 years or so
    8 Hr Supervisors update
    10 Hr OSHA (Industry)
    e-RailSafe (through CSX)
    WHMIS (Canada)
    RadWorker II at Savannah River and Paducah (likely both expired by now though)
    TWIC card
    Passport
    LOTS of site specific training at Dupont, Dow, and similar industrial plants
    20 plus years technical field experience (mostly chemistry related environmental)

You sure entry level folks are all you need?

Unfortunately, yes at this time. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom