Initial Machine Gun Registration Question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm filling out the MG initial registration form. Under the section of the "Previous Owner" is that the FFL SOT that is currently in possession of the MG or the previous individual who owned it (in this case from another state)?

If the answer is the previous Form 4 owner, I don't have all the details on him (like his DL number, age, etc.). Should I just fill out to the best of my ability and send it in?

-Jim

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I'm filling out the MG initial registration form. Under the section of the "Previous Owner" is that the FFL SOT that is currently in possession of the MG or the previous individual who owned it (in this case from another state)?

If the answer is the previous Form 4 owner, I don't have all the details on him (like his DL number, age, etc.). Should I just fill out to the best of my ability and send it in?

-Jim

I always put the FFL, if it came from a FFL transfer. For personal info, I left it blank. Paperwork wise he was the previous owner according to the ATF.

When I did C&R transfers and instate where no FFL was used, I put the info I had. I left blank what I did not have. Its not like they can force you to force them to tell you what color eyes they have!

Frankly its a joke, I know people who never sent in the first registration form. I am not saying not to send it in but don't stress it. The law says you must register it, not that you must have every question filled out about the previous owner...

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    My question is, what's the penalty if you don't file the Machinegun registration?

https://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=blVwgcO_5I0=&tabid=429&mid=1072

The form itself states:

Failure to comply with this law is a felony punishable by imprisonment in the State penitentiary for a term of not more than ten years.

However, the Maryland charging language, found at http://www.courts.state.md.us/district/charginglanguage.pdf, states:

Manufacturer's Register; Inspection of Stock
    CR 4-403
    MISDEMEANOR
    $100.00
    *3_5200* **MCHNGUN: FAIL KEEP REGISTER**
    ...did fail to maintain a register showing the serial number of all
    machine guns which he manufactured.
    and
    CR 4-403(b)
    MISDEMEANOR
    $100.00
    *3_5201* **MCHN GUN: FAIL SHOW REGISTER**
    ...did, after demand by _____ (name and title of Police Officer,
    Marshal, or Sheriff) of _____ [county/city], refuse and fail to
    produce for inspection the register of machine guns required to
    be kept under CR 4-403 of the Annotated Code of Maryland.
    NOTE: CR 4-403 applies to manufacturers only.

I found that "note" interesting, and looked into the law a little bit.

Criminal Law Article 4-403 is reproduced below:

§ 4-403. Registration of machine gun

Manufacturer registration(a)(1) A manufacturer of a machine gun shall keep a register of each machine gun manufactured or handled by the manufacturer.(2) The register shall contain:(i) the method of manufacture and serial number of the machine gun;(ii) the date of manufacture, sale, loan, gift, delivery, and receipt of the machine gun from the manufacturer; and(iii) the name, address, and occupation of the person to whom the machine gun was sold, loaned, given or delivered, or from whom the machine gun was received, and the purpose for which the machine gun was acquired.(3) A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $100.

Inspection of manufacturer stock(b)(1) On demand, a manufacturer of a machine gun shall allow a marshal, sheriff, or police officer to inspect the manufacturer's entire stock of machine guns, parts, and supplies and the register required under subsection (a) of this section.(2) A person who violates paragraph (1) of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $100.

Registration of possession(c)(1) A person who acquires a machine gun shall register the machine gun with the Secretary of State Police:(i) within 24 hours after acquiring the machine gun; and(ii) in each succeeding year during the month of May.(2) The Secretary of State Police shall prepare and, on request of an applicant, furnish an application form for registration under this subsection.(3) An application for registration shall contain:(i) the make, model, serial number, caliber, type, barrel length, finish, and country of origin of the machine gun;(ii) the name, address, race, gender, date of birth, Maryland driver's license number, and occupation of the person in possession of the machine gun; and(iii) the name of the person from whom the machine gun was acquired and the purpose for acquiring the machine gun.(4) Each application for registration filed with the Secretary of State Police shall be accompanied by a nonrefundable registration fee of $10.(5) Registration data provided under this section is not open to public inspection.

Md. Crim. Law Code Ann. § 4-403

It would appear to me that only Subsections A and B have penalty provisions, so only MANUFACTURERS of machineguns must do the yearly registration or be subject to the fine/misdemeanor. I have no idea where the Felony/10 year language is coming from on the registration form to be honest. Subsection C, requiring individuals to register, has no associated penalty provision. Without a penalty, it is not illegal.

My completely unsolicited two cents, that is not legal advice.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks for the advise guys! I'm wanting to cross my t's and dot my i's on this thing since I'm new to the MG scene.

Nate:
    VERY interesting find. I wouldn't have thought to even check the penalty in law, but knowing you, I'm not surprised you did :-).

Just for kicks, I'll search through the code as well, but I'd bet that you've found another great example of MD's gun laws being at odds with MSP's interpretation.

-Jim

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region

-Jim

If I bought from an SOT out of his stock, then that is who I list. If I bought direct from an individual, then that is who I list. If I don't have some of the information on that SOT or individual, then I just list unknown or n/a.

MSCSMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 11, 2014
    hell, I just bought a machine gun and didn't know a thing about this law. can't imagine many machine gun owners know about this. sounds like another New york where no one registers.

May 13, 2005
    Curious...Do 07/02 manufacturers have to fill out the MD MG registration and send it in or just keep a register on premisis?

MSCSMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 11, 2014
    oops, spoke too soon. picked it up today.

Attachments

• 10268487_624808404277446_4655277954015527156_n.jpg
      10268487_624808404277446_4655277954015527156_n.jpg
      36.2 KB · Views: 212

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads