• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    I have received my credentials form my former agency and now I'm needing the qualification portion so I can (finally) carry in our great state.
    The next available date by my county sheriff's office isn't until the end of March and I don't necessarily want to wait that long.
    Unfortunately, in my research of other counties/departments it appears several of them haven't updated their information even from the revamping of the law in 2010, much less 2013 and several still have 15 years vice 10 years of service to qualify. Several also have the outdated "has non-forfeitable right to retirement benefits" clause in their forms.

Even the MD Police Training Commission has some statement to the effect of "if this is the first time qualifying here you must bring 'proof' of your statutory arrest authority" or they won't qual you. I would think the credential would be enough and actually meets the intent of the law.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions on how to get the firing qualification completed painlessly as possible?
    Thanks

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    Give me a call we are in Fredericksburg, Va. But I will help you out as a MD Shooter
    and fellow LEO!

Tom (540) 322-3000

www.ccjatraining.com

Tom,

I truly appreciate the offer, however since you are in VA I could be not meeting the intent of the DoD and USAF policy. That coupled with how "different" MD likes to be on things, I wouldn't want to not meet the intent. If you are certified by the MD State Police it might be something to discuss further.
    From the USAF LEOSA Instruction:
    1.2.2. Individuals applicable to Section 926C must carry their USAF LEOSA credential and, IAW with LEOSA, a state firearm certification, from the state in which the individual resides, that indicates within the last 12 months, the individual has met standards for training and qualification to carry a firearm for active law enforcement officers in that state for the same type of weapon as the concealed firearm. This documentation must be signed by a certified firearms instructor for that state.
    1.2.2.1. IAW S. 1132: Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act Improvements Act of 2010, if the State has not established LEO firearms qualification standards, the instructor will certify the officer has completed the USAF SF handgun qualification course conducted by a state certified civilian firearms instructor using the member’s privately owned firearm and personally procured ammunition. This documentation must be signed by a certified firearms instructor for that state.
    1.2.2.2. Certified Firearms Instructor. A certified firearms instructor is defined as a person certified by the National Rifle Association, the American Association of Certified Firearms Instructors or an instructor utilized by a police department who is qualified/certified to conduct firearms qualification evaluations for active duty police or law enforcement officers within the state in which the qualified retired/separated member resides.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That is insane. If someone from Virginia is qualified and LEOSA credentialed, then they are allowed to carry in Maryland under LEOSA. What the hell difference does it make that an instructor be certified in the applicants state? This is basically saying that an out of state LEOSA credential is no good because the state doesn't recognize another state's instructor.

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    That is insane. If someone from Virginia is qualified and LEOSA credentialed, then they are allowed to carry in Maryland under LEOSA. What the hell difference does it make that an instructor be certified in the applicants state? This is basically saying that an out of state LEOSA credential is no good because the state doesn't recognize another state's instructor.

No, that's actually not it at all. A LEOSA Credential is good anywhere, the qualification comes from the retired/separated LEO's state of residence.
    The intent is to not have individuals be expected to travel back to their former agencies/departments for the purposes of qualifying, since it is an annual requirement under the law. That would be a logistical and scheduling nightmare.
    For example a former MD State Trooper retires in AZ. They get their creds from MD, but qualify annually in AZ, where they live.

From the Law itself:

d) The identification required by this subsection is--

(1) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer and indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training as established by the agency to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or

(2)(A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that indicates the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer; and
    (B) a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides or by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State that indicates that the individual has, not less than 1 year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State or a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State to have met--
    (I) the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training, as established by the State, to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or
    (II) if the State has not established such standards, standards set by any law enforcement agency within that State to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am fully aware what LEOSA is since I qualify for it. The fact that a "certified" LEOSA instructor from out of state cannot run you through a qualification is ridiculous. Since those he "certified" in that state are now qualified to carry anywhere.

Not the same thing but.....
    Federal Flight Deck Officers (FFDOs. Armed pilots) may qualify in any state with any TSA certified instructor, regardless of their home of residence. LEOSA quals I feel should be the same way.

So, you have been separated a year or more since you are looking to get qualified. A recent qual within the year you separated and received your LEOSA creds should at least carry you to the end of your year.
    I know my federal agency we qual 4 times a year. If I qualified in May the 3rd quarter (April,May or June) and I separated in June, I am good until for a year from May.

Fatboy20646

Dec 23, 2010
    Charles County
    I have received my credentials form my former agency and now I'm needing the qualification portion so I can (finally) carry in our great state.
    The next available date by my county sheriff's office isn't until the end of March and I don't necessarily want to wait that long.
    Unfortunately, in my research of other counties/departments it appears several of them haven't updated their information even from the revamping of the law in 2010, much less 2013 and several still have 15 years vice 10 years of service to qualify. Several also have the outdated "has non-forfeitable right to retirement benefits" clause in their forms.

Even the MD Police Training Commission has some statement to the effect of "if this is the first time qualifying here you must bring 'proof' of your statutory arrest authority" or they won't qual you. I would think the credential would be enough and actually meets the intent of the law.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions on how to get the firing qualification completed painlessly as possible?
    Thanks
    Call the Charles County Sheriffs office. They have LEOSA qualifications the 1st & 3rd Thursdays of the month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom