• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    forgive my ignorance, but I had a question and didn't want it to get buried in the million pages of that thread.

Does Hogan have any influence or control over Frosh as to what the state does in regards to appeal/cert/whatever the legal terms are? Can Hogan control the funds that are or are not wasted on legal actions by the state AG?

or is it up to Frosh alone whether to fight this to the supreme court or not? How much of our taxpayer dollars would this waste?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    forgive my ignorance, but I had a question and didn't want it to get buried in the million pages of that thread.

Does Hogan have any influence or control over Frosh as to what the state does in regards to appeal/cert/whatever the legal terms are? Can Hogan control the funds that are or are not wasted on legal actions by the state AG?

or is it up to Frosh alone whether to fight this to the supreme court or not? How much of our taxpayer dollars would this waste?

No, Hogan does not control Frosh. It's Frosh's call

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    The only control the MD Governor has over the MD AG is budgetary.

Hogan could defund Frosh's office next FY, making it difficult for him to operate, but Hogan can't stop him.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Hogan could also take it to the court.

Of public opinion and try to shame the little weasel bastard about wasting hard earned MD taxpayer dollars with appeals.

But I think I have a better shot of going to the moon and back before that would happen....

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Or Hogan's office could file an Amicus brief with the court during an appeal disagreeing with the AG's opinion. That would be fun to see.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    What makes that even more fun is the case is now "Kolbe vs. Hogan" with the new Gov. I know it makes no difference from a legal standpoint, but having the "defendant" agreeing with the plaintiff to the court would be funny.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Or Hogan's office could file an Amicus brief with the court during an appeal disagreeing with the AG's opinion. That would be fun to see.

That is interesting. Has this ever happened to any state AG ? Is it even possible? Wonder what kind of weight the court would give it.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    IANAL, but an Amicus brief is just an exercise of one's 1st Amendment rights. Gov. Hogan has the same right to file one as any other person or organization. But ultimately the AG officially represents the State in court.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    IANAL, but an Amicus brief is just an exercise of one's 1st Amendment rights. Gov. Hogan has the same right to file one as any other person or organization. But ultimately the AG officially represents the State in court.

It sure would be fun to see his office file an amicus brief, though.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    id personally like to see the fop lodges in md file amicus briefs in our favor. the various members would have to convince their leadership.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    A decision to do it would depend on what the working relationship is in general between the Gov's Office and the AG. On an issue that the AG is so dogmatically committed to, a contrary Amicus brief would be the equivalent of a middle finger to the AG because it would be undercutting the AG's credibility.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    id personally like to see the fop lodges in md file amicus briefs in our favor. the various members would have to convince their leadership.

Maybe Maryland Sheriffs? Most of the ones in the State are pro-2A. It would be nice if we could get the majority of them on board.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I wonder what Hogan would say if asked by a reporter what he thinks of the ruling and what he believes the state should do in response. (I imagine he would never say anything "supporting" the ruling given that as Gov, he is a defacto party in the litigation now).

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Different Amicii (Amicuses?), different purposes. One from the Gov would hopefully inform the District Court that there is a genuine argument, even within the Executive Branch, over matters of fact and law concerning whether MSRs are protected and are not more dangerous than other types of firearms.

Briefs from working-level LE would be more to indirectly inform M&M and the rest of the Maryland Legislature that politically appointed police chiefs' directed testimony was not representative of the bulk of LE professionals, as a matter of public (court) record.

There's a legal aspect to this, a political aspect, and a public education aspect. All three need to be worked simultaneously and the rehearing gives us a forum.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    A decision to do it would depend on what the working relationship is in general between the Gov's Office and the AG. On an issue that the AG is so dogmatically committed to, a contrary Amicus brief would be the equivalent of a middle finger to the AG because it would be undercutting the AG's credibility.

The AG has no credibility but that is beside the point. There is no reason or upside for Hogan to enter the fray. Hogan wouldn't file a brief because in addition to the finger he'd be giving to the AG, he'd be giving it to the legislature that passed this pile of dung in the first place. That fantasy isn't going to happen and Hogan has said as much. Hogan may be quietly hoping the statute is invalidated by the Court, because that will moot anyone's expectation that he join the fight, but I doubt he will say anything more than his office respects the decisions of the courts.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    The AG has no credibility but that is beside the point. There is no reason or upside for Hogan to enter the fray. Hogan wouldn't file a brief because in addition to the finger he'd be giving to the AG, he'd be giving it to the legislature that passed this pile of dung in the first place. That fantasy isn't going to happen and Hogan has said as much. Hogan may be quietly hoping the statute is invalidated by the Court, because that will moot anyone's expectation that he join the fight, but I doubt he will say anything more than his office respects the decisions of the courts.

Agreed. But it would still be fun to see it happen, even if the probability is near zero, and these discussions have entertainment value.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Maybe I'm wrong but i think en banc or Supreme Court hearing this at this stage is a longshot. I think Frosh will tilt at the windmill because he has to, but 1- the court's own precedent seems to require this result;2-its only a remand for more fact finding. The full court can let this percolate more before they take it. Plus, the dissent is not very persuasive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom