• ...and so much more!
  • rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    on order, about 90 days -- will see how it goes

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    As a follow up I decided to wait on my SCR to see how first bunch shakes out given Ares is not warrantying them.

I did confirm with DC MPD Firearms office by phone today that they have registered at least one ARES SCR already with no problems in passing DC restrictions.

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    Pretty sweet rifles. Share pictures with us when it arrives :D
    Oh, and I hope my SKS comes in the same day so you get a healthy coat of cosmoline :D [Yes Im Jealous!]

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    ok,a day after I wrote that, I got a call from a vendor where I was on the wait list from spring and ordered it. So much for waiting. I got my SCR about three and half weeks ago. Serial is "SCR-20X."

was $799 plus $20 shipping from B&H (you can see list of sellers on ares site)

I had it shipped to a VA FFL who I paid $25 save $100 over DC FFL fee. You can do this with shipped new long gun, but not a shipped pistol). So total fees paid were $25 FFL plus $38 DC.

rifle: $799
    shipping: $20
    Sales tax: $0
    FFL: $25
    DC Fees: $38
    =======
    $882

It ships with one 5 round mag. Cabelas had 10rd magpull gen 3 for $14 and a bought a few

Optic:
    Burris MTAC 1-4 with fastfire III (mtac, FFII and burris cantilever from primary arms on sale $499 shipped). this optic is perfect for me for both fast acquisition and a reasonable 5.56 range 4x and also has perfect eye relief for this stock.

subjective thoughts on rifle so far:

I love it. My pals who come from normal stock experience love it. My pals I shoot with in Va have like the way it shoots, but of course they note the differences with an AR

If I had the benefit of hindsight I would have gotten the "short sport stock" instead of the "sporter stock". It shoulders perfectly for me, but I can see how certain stances and situations would make a shorter reach better, and you can easily add temporary pads to a shorter stock but you can't make a longer stock shorter in this firearm.

I have tested about six brands/capacity of mags 5, 10 and 30 rounds with no problems (don't keep >10 rounders in DC!)

Ammo. I have shot about 600 rounds of a half dozen brands/grain of ammo, premium and cheapo. Not one feed, fire, eject issue so far.

mag release. Yes because it has a rifle stock the mag release is a slight PITA. But looking at aftermarket paddles/extensions this can be dealt with. I will wait a bit to see if Ares comes up with their own dedicated one.

Bolt does not stay back on last round by current design. I called Ares and they said they would be selling a adaptor for that for $20 to $30 in a few weeks.

Sights: There are no iron sights. long term it doesn't matter as you can put rails on upper, or have a forward site installed on upper by an armorer if you like. But as delivered with no upper/forward rail you will not be using a decent magnifying optic with back up iron on top or offset. For this reason I would recommend something like the MTAC with fastire II with no BUS, or a small red dot in which case BUS will fit. I have a strikefire II I used on this for a couple of weeks, and love that, but I would not recommend a full size red dot with no room for BUS as if you run out of batteries you have nothing. With a magnified illuminated reticle scope like mtac, as long as reticle is etched you are cool if batteries die. If you bash the scope though you have no back up as delivered or installable and zeroed with a full size optic.

It comes with a decent case. the case has spots for five locks meaning it seals well if you use cheap small locks. Myself, for the SUV I use a gun sock inside of a zipper lockable duffle though, so as not to freak out my neighbors, just as I use lockable toolboxes for taking handguns and ammo to the range so as to be discreet.

The barrel gets wicked hot, but holds very good accuracy even after putting a fair number rounds though in a short period of time.

As far as things like full rails, mag release mod etc, I believe Ares went with covering al the bases for all states. DC is not the most controlled. I believe there are several mods that can be made to this while kept compliant, eg assisted mag release. But I am NOT giving anyone legal advice and I intend to ask about any non optic changes before I make any. But it does seem to me from the DC language that the "capacity to" in "A semiautomatic, rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:" that "capacity" refers only to the magazine and forbids installed excluded attribute, and does not forbid "capability" to accept say a forward grip which a full rail would afford. Ie., a full quad rail seems ok, even though a foregrip "can be" installed -- as long as a foregrip one is not installed in DC. For example a thumbhole stock can be installed in minutes on any mini 14 or 10/22. It has as the easy "capacity" to, it is just not legal to do so while the firearm is in DC. Again I am not giving anyone advice on any changes and I advise erring on the side of caution!

On the purchase in general, everyone's decisions are different. For me, on one hand, I intend to move to Virginia in about a year. On the other hand, I have three kids, any one of which might/likely may end up in a ban state (or everyone may eventually). So the SCR has an in-family value for me long term. I have fired both old, can't hit a barn door, mini-14 and newer improved mini-14. The SCR has MUCH better accuracy than mini-14 old or new. Also half of the SCR it is a AR and AR mags are absurdly cheaper than mini-14 mags as well.

Warranty: Less secure than Ruger. There is in fact right in the ARES manual a note saying the product is not explicitly warranted. Ares is a much smaller company than ruger as well. That said there is always implied warranty in almost all states.
    While that is not much of a risk on the easily replaceable upper, it is an increased risk compared to ruger's very good product support service record. I do know Ares cant make enough to fill demand, and so far it is a very good product as far as I am concerned, but then again hhey could go belly up in a year for all I know.

Takedown. I have cleaned bore, but only CLP and oiled action. Manual is fairly clear on takedown, but I am waiting for someone else to put up a youtube. It is inertial, not gas and there seems to be very little fouling inside so far.

Hope all that helps!

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    El Patron Grande says:

Do they come with flash hiders/threaded muzzle?

DC allows threaded barrel net equal or greater than 16" on rifles (but not on pistols, in fact for a handgun in DC list it appears to be exactly the allowed Maryland list minus threaded barrels and >10 round mags).

So you can have the barrel threaded by a gunsmith for DC. But in DC flash suppressors installed while in DC are forbidden. There is some controversy in various states as to what is a muzzle brake vs what is a flash suppressor, but the case law/regulatory findings (calif. mostly) seems to trend toward: any effective flash suppression is a "flash suppressor" no matter if the manufacturer calls it a muzzle brake.

I guess Ares just followed Ruger min-14 all state compliant versions on the threaded barrel issue, I can't find any states that forbid them per se on long guns.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Who would you order it through and where would you have it shipped to?

There is a list of vendors on ares site. I suggest, rather than email, that you call and get an idea of stock and when they will have more, and if you cant find in stock, get on each one's wait list.

If you don't have an FFL in Virginia that will accept it, you can have it shipped to the DC FFL Charles Sykes at Exchange. A VA FFL saves you about $100 but involves two trips to the FLL (first trip to fill out paperwork and serial number, second to come pick it up with competed DC registration). With Sykes it just like a handgun purchase, a $125 FFL, but just one trip ten days after seller they takes the order to do everything including DC registration.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    "Worthless?" Gee thanks. There are plenty of pics on the net . I will post one in a day or two with my optic, but I have not done a takedown so I am not sure what a pic would add.

Relax Francis! It is a great review. That .gif is a regular on this site and is used to bust chops. If and when you get pics it would be great to see them.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    It's an interesting little gun for sure. We've had one on the wall for a little bit. AR BUIS are too tall for my tastes with the traditional stock it comes with.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    This is probably the only "ban-compliant" rifle I've ever been interested in. It intrigues me.

I didn't realize it had no bolt hold open, that sucks.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Thanks rascal for the super detailed write up. Looking forward to pics when you get the rig speced out. I've been thinking about bringing one of these into the People's District, but was worried about reliability / warranty issues and a little annoyed about the no bolt-open. Is your FFL in Nova? 25 is a steal for a transfer. Used NOVA Firearms for my last long gun transfer and couldn't be happier with the new ownership, but I think they are still charging 50 for inbound transfers.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks rascal for the super detailed write up. Looking forward to pics when you get the rig speced out. I've been thinking about bringing one of these into the People's District, but was worried about reliability / warranty issues and a little annoyed about the no bolt-open. Is your FFL in Nova? 25 is a steal for a transfer. Used NOVA Firearms for my last long gun transfer and couldn't be happier with the new ownership, but I think they are still charging 50 for inbound transfers.

Why transfer if we have one in stock? :innocent0

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Outstanding that you guys are stocking it. Will come by for sure and look at it in the next couple of weeks. Might have to crack my piggy bank open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom