• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sideways

Jan 24, 2010
    Eastern shore of Va.
    I will be inheriting a S&W 27-2 from my late grandfather who registered it in Maryland.
    I am a MD resident that purchased a handgun prior to Oct 1

What do I need to transfer the revolver into my name?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    You may be right, I cannot access the MSP site. I did not know you could mail in the form either. I would defer to Nate's opinion.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    There is no charge for an inheritance transfer.
    This^^^^^^^ The trooper may not know this though. We gave our trooper a $10 money order at the time of transfer. A few days later, we received it back in the mail with an explanation that we should not have been charged.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Don't ask, don't tell.
    These days, this is not a good idea, and especially not if the late grandfather had transfer paperwork for it.

Here's a question: how many of us here (show of hands please) have been asked by anyone, when they were out and about at a range or elsewhere, to show their transfer paperwork for a handgun they had in their possession and were legally using at the time? I never have been, and I'd venture to guess that no one else has either.

With that said, I don't know how good the state is at correlating data when it comes to firearms they have paper on, and the people who owned them who are now deceased. Does the state go looking for the pistol once they put two and two together to make sure that it has been legally transferred, or is that something that isn't done due to a lack of manpower resources?

buckshotu2

Sep 30, 2013
    These days, this is not a good idea, and especially not if the late grandfather had transfer paperwork for it.

Here's a question: how many of us here (show of hands please) have been asked by anyone, when they were out and about at a range or elsewhere, to show their transfer paperwork for a handgun they had in their possession and were legally using at the time? I never have been, and I'd venture to guess that no one else has either.

With that said, I don't know how good the state is at correlating data when it comes to firearms they have paper on, and the people who owned them who are now deceased. Does the state go looking for the pistol once they put two and two together to make sure that it has been legally transferred, or is that something that isn't done due to a lack of manpower resources?

I have never been asked to prove ownership of any gun I had in my possession while at a range. I have heard it rumored that it may have happened to some, but I've never seen it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have never been asked to prove ownership of any gun I had in my possession while at a range. I have heard it rumored that it may have happened to some, but I've never seen it.
    I know that I have never, not once, had any kind of transfer paperwork with me where I also had the firearm with me at the time, other than at the time of transfer from the FFL and transport back to my home. It just seems to me that unless you had something that was questionably legal - and even ARs don't really apply due to the fact that ownership is grandfathered, never mind the fact that HBARS are still perfectly legal - or you were actually committing a crime while the gun was in your possession, I don't know why it would ever even matter.

We've all said it, and intrinsically we all know it, but any laws governing the ownership of firearms do little more than restrict the law-abiding. The folks on this board do it right - that's why we have so many threads talking about the various aspects of the laws - but the truth is, we do a far better job of policing ourselves than any law enforcement agency would be capable of.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Here's a question: how many of us here (show of hands please) have been asked by anyone, when they were out and about at a range or elsewhere, to show their transfer paperwork for a handgun they had in their possession and were legally using at the time?

Just who who is going to ask? The guy shooting next to you at the range? A private range owner/range officer? They know people don't carry paperwork around with them. If you didn't have paperwork, they would not collect your range fee and you would have to leave, but no law has clearly been broken and they would have a po'd customer

Now at a State owned range, I suppose the MSP or the governor could just issue an Obama style order that everyone must show such paper work. Or a cop could come onto the property and demand you show such paperwork. Since the law doesn't require you to have paperwork in your possession at all times, no law has been broken. Running people off a public range is counter to the purpose of the range and citizens would raise hell.

If the police "raided" a private gun range, I think they would be subject to charges of harassment and illegal search and seizure.

If your lifestyle involves knocking off liquor stores and selling crack in shady neighborhoods, you may be asked for paperwork one day.

But suppose someone robs your home, takes your guns and is caught. Will the police return your guns if they believe those guns were registered to someone else, who now happens to be deceased? As we move further away from Oct 2013, more of us will be buying guns that haven't even been manufactured and clearly couldn't have been owned by our heirs before 10/2013. The gray areas that exist today, will be a lot smaller in 20 years.

I deleted my earlier post that incorrectly stated there was a fee for an inheritance transfer.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd