• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Just wondering why? They haven't been imported since Clinton, so unless you find one that has been siting at a dealers unsold, unlikely, you will have to buy used. If you get a used, did anyone take a Dremel or other tool to it?

I can understand wanting one but you need to be careful.

Very good advice, if its been messed with it could only be worth its weight in scrap metal.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    But what about a new, never fired, dealer display gun with box?

One that got put away for a project but never got built due to the originl owner missing the magical "round tuit".

From the same production run that Bill Wilson was using for his build ups.

Would that be a good one?:innocent0

I can be a mean son of gun sometimes:D

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    But what about a never fired, dealer display gun with box?

One that got put away for a project but never got built due to the originl owner missing the magical "round tuit".

I knew Wilson used SA frames, along with Colt. Never seen any Norinco/Wilson guns.

If you can find such a virgin Norinco gun, buy it.

Hell, if you can find a stripped Norinco frame that hasn't been played with, get that.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I knew Wilson used SA frames, along with Colt. Never seen any Norinco/Wilson guns.

If you can find such a virgin Norinco gun, buy it.

Hell, if you can find a stripped Norinco frame that hasn't been played with, get that.

Bill Wilson did use Norincos

And I bought it back in the 90s when I had an FFL based on Wilson's recommendations at a SHOT Show.

It still sits in my safe waiting for that "round tuit"

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    But what about a new, never fired, dealer display gun with box?

I can be a mean son of gun sometimes:D

Sweet little gem you have there. :)

If it were mine I would mod it into a "Sleeper" G.I.

-Slight Dehorn
    -Slight Mag Bevel Job
    -Wilson Combat MSH with Lanyard
    -10-8 Sights with a Gold Bead Front
    -Non Drilled or Slotted Medium Aluminum Trigger
    -C&S Classic FCG with slightly chopped tail
    -Full Throat/Ramp/Reliability/Extractor Work
    -Kart Barrel
    -EGW Bushing
    -Dual Beavertail Options
    The Stock Grip Safety will be for "Factory" G.I. appearance. The Wilson Drop In will be fitted to the frame, but the frame wont be modified, this allows swappable Beavertails.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Bill Wilson did use Norincos

And I bought it back in the 90s when I had an FFL based on Wilson's recommendations at a SHOT Show.

It still sits in my safe waiting for that "round tuit"

Learn something everyday. (talking about Wilson)

You do realize that you aren't getting younger. If you keep that thing in the safe much longer the kids or grandkids will be doing something with the gun, not you.

I had a Colt in my safe for a few years meaning to send it to Ted Yost when he was doing the 1* guns at Yost-Bonitz. Then he and Lou Bonitz parted ways. The gun was never done. I can't afford a full Ted Yost or Chuck Rogers gun but i did find a good young smith out of GA and had my custom 1911 built just over a year ago.

Get that gun built the way you want it done.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I will speake for the unloved norinco!!
    I have 2 and love them both!! i have shot steel plate matches with one and the other
    is in my nightstand. these guns were good milspec. copys of the 1911 Hell I am thinking of buying a third one that Bel Air gun has.

ok I will try again:innocent0

the frames of the norinco are machined not cast. When I bought the first on it was new and cost me $395.95 ( a few years back lets say)
    the used on I bought was $250.00 a few years later.
    both guns are well built, shoot fine stock and will feed any thing I put in the magazine. they are great platforms to build on and take any after market parts you can throw at them.

now that we have all the cheeper inport guns the poor old norinco gets no love!

Norincos are really solid 1911's. Some of my nicest custom jobs have been on Norinco 1911's.

They wont command resell value once modded but are a good foundation. As they sit in stock configuration Im not too fond of them but they are good bases.

All the above is great info, along with the rest of the thread so far. The Norinco 1911 was a BIG overlooked gun back in the day when they were available. The general pubic thought uugghh, a cheapo Chinese 1911, yuck (I know, as I was one of them). These Norinco 1911's were for the most part back them, the overlooked fat, red-headed little girl with braces, glasses, freckles, one leg shorter than the other(her name was Ilene) and had to wear special correctional shoes, talked funny, rode the short bus, and took tuba lessons, the stepchild of some odd folks living the next block over.

Decent gun.:D

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    All the above is great info, along with the rest of the thread so far. The Norinco 1911 was a BIG overlooked gun back in the day when they were available. The general pubic thought uugghh, a cheapo Chinese 1911, yuck (I know, as I was one of them). These Norinco 1911's were for the most part back them, the overlooked fat, red-headed little girl with braces, glasses, freckles, one leg shorter than the other(her name was Ilene) and had to wear special correctional shoes, talked funny, rode the short bus, and took tuba lessons, the stepchild of some odd folks living the next block over.

Decent gun.:D

:lol::lol2:

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    If somebody has one that hasn't been "Bubba'd", I'll be generous and help you dispose of it for $100. Seeing as how it's a POS and they are now old, they are worth a lot less now, right? :innocent0

Or a decent price would work for me too :D

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    so when does the bidding start?

I don't do auctions because that goes against my grain of selling to the highest bidder.

I have to like a person. Higher character can win out over the highest bid when making a square deal.

No amount of money can make me tolerate some sniveling, whiner that gets butt hurt over haggling and horse trading.

I won't abide rudeness or contempt in a man regardless of how much money offers.

And if he operates under the old, "my shit is gold but your shit is shit" standard than he best just walk away and forget the whole matter.

As for now, I'm still thinking and considering some options.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I don't do auctions because that goes against my grain of selling to the highest bidder.

I have to like a person. Higher character can win out over the highest bid when making a square deal.

No amount of money can make me tolerate some sniveling, whiner that gets butt hurt over haggling and horse trading.

I won't abide rudeness or contempt in a man regardless of how much money offers.

And if he operates under the old, "my shit is gold but your shit is shit" standard than he best just walk away and forget the whole matter.

As for now, I'm still thinking and considering some options.

I feel the same way!! when it comes to buying guns and items I collect I am off the feeling that I have worked hard for my money and will not spend it with some one I dislike. If a guy at a gun show has a gun I want but is a true ******* I will not buy it. I don't want some one to profet off my hard work and act like a ass clown. I will not support as*holes!

Oh and I still owe you a beer from another thread:innocent0

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I feel the same way!! when it comes to buying guns and items I collect I am off the feeling that I have worked hard for my money and will not spend it with some one I dislike. If a guy at a gun show has a gun I want but is a true ******* I will not buy it. I don't want some one to profet off my hard work and act like a ass clown. I will not support as*holes!

Oh and I still owe you a beer from another thread:innocent0

Oh and I forgot I don't like suckups, boot lickers and brown nosers:lol2:

J/K.....I couldn't resist a big, old tater thrown right over the plate like that:D

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    +1 ..I cant tell you how many times I passed over a firearm i really wanted because the listing sounded like the seller had a chip on his shoulder. I would prefer not to deal with that.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Oh and I forgot I don't like suckups, boot lickers and brown nosers:lol2:

J/K.....I couldn't resist a big, old tater thrown right over the plate like that:D

Well now that I know were I stand.....:lol2:

but truley a guy could have a browing a-5 touched by John Browning himself and if the guy was a asshat he would not get my money.

CHEF

May 25, 2011
    frederick Md
    Getting back to the topic.. What are some things to look out for when buying. I mean if it looks like a blind woodsman went to work inside of it that's a no brainer, but is there something to look out for that is less obvious?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom