• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Need to pack up my ammo and move it. Truck is covered, so I don't need sealed cans, but I do need to pack and carry it. Any ideas beyond the obvious plastic bins and boxes? Anyone have smaller wooden crates (foot locker) or a bunch of .50 cal cans they will sell cheap?

p.s. - if anyone is at the HoCo show, let me know if the guy that usually sells cans and crates is there in the back. Thanks! :party29:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Need to pack up my ammo and move it. Truck is covered, so I don't need sealed cans, but I do need to pack and carry it. Any ideas beyond the obvious plastic bins and boxes? Anyone have smaller wooden crates (foot locker) or a bunch of .50 cal cans they will sell cheap?

p.s. - if anyone is at the HoCo show, let me know if the guy that usually sells cans and crates is there in the back. Thanks! :party29:
    Congrats on your move to freedom.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Try a skateboard, a dolly, your arms, or a car. Anything with wheels should work sufficiently. I'd personally go with a new F150

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    I bought some second hand Anvil cases on wheels and put the ammo cans in them. I also got a couple big Hardigg cases with wheels and put ammo in them. Lifting them was a major pain for two guys. But them moved well and were secure.

Those look like very nice cases. Had I planned better, it would have been a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Looks like I'm a couple of cans short. Probably need another 40mm and two .50 cans - not including shotgun stuff. Already have most of that in plastic containers though.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Five gallon buckets work, and you can get them cheap at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. Five gallons of water weighs forty pounds, so they're pretty sturdy. Get the lids, too.

Another option is kitty litter buckets. Ask your cat-owning friends to save the buckets for you. Not quite as nice as the five gallon buckets, but they are free.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    One good thing about moving thousands of rounds of ammo is that it provides an opportunity to take inventory. I have way too much 54r and not enough 9mm, .38 or .357. Wouldn't hurt to top off by adding a couple of cases of 5.56 and x39 while it's still cheap.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    One good thing about moving thousands of rounds of ammo is that it provides an opportunity to take inventory. I have way too much 54r and not enough 9mm, .38 or .357. Wouldn't hurt to top off by adding a couple of cases of 5.56 and x39 while it's still cheap.

I'm a little light on 54R, maybe I can save you the trouble of moving it.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If you can lift a 5 gallon bucket with ammo, you are superhuman.

No need to fill them all the way. Cheaper than ammo cans, sturdy and easier to maneuver than a pile of loose ammo, even if you need a hand truck to do it.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    These 40mm cans are perfect. IMO. Wish I had bought more. Sealed, stackable and have handles. Put about a case and a half in each and they are still manageable.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    These 40mm cans are perfect. IMO. Wish I had bought more. Sealed, stackable and have handles. Put about a case and a half in each and they are still manageable.

I was going to suggest the 40mm cans also. If your ammo is loose .50cal cans are great but if still boxed I like the 40mm cans.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    A 5 gallon bucket of brass weighs about 70lbs. How much would you guess one with loaded ammo weighs? A lot is my guess.

Good points, all.

Ok, I'll guess:

A 5 gallon bucket could hold about 4 cases (1000 rounds; 5.56). Each case is about 30 pounds (28lbs, quick check); so we are rhetorical talking about roughly 120 pounds per bucket. The flimsy wire handle probably can't support that weight, even if most of us could.

I recommend sticking with standard metal, mil spec ammo cans for storage and transport. Most manufacturers will ship in heavy duty card board boxes (double boxed usually), that seems ok too as long as you can keep it dry.

Ammo cans are still cheap and have lots of great uses.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Believe it or not, when I moved about 10 years ago, I used Huggies diaper boxes for a lot of the ammo. They are strong as hell. This was for ammo in 50 and 100 round boxes, not in ammo cans. I still have one in my shed. 10 years ago I had 2 in diapers.

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    opplanet-plano-molding-56-quart-tote-black-161900.jpg

Plano 56qt storage tote

I picked up a couple of these for $10 at Bass Pro a few months ago.
    Work great for carrying a lot of shotgun shells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom