• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -It's been a while since I posted anything new as I've been selling far more than acquiring the last 6 months. But I saw something I've wanted for over a decade at a small NY auction and just had to go for it. And while I was at it I saw a nice Type 99 short rifle in the same catalog and threw a low-ball bid at it too.
    -Well I got both lots. The unobtanium is a Mannlicher M.86 rifle chambered in 11mm. This is the grandpa of the M.95 rifle and carbine. She's currently getting her bore soaked in Kroil to remove some rust that I found (not that I'm going to shoot this one anyway). So photos will come later.
    -Today I'll post the T99. Series 23 Kokura built in 1943. Bid $300 for the lot which included a bayonet and scabbard but got it for considerably less. Which was shocking to me as it's a capture piece with intact mum, all matching numbers, matching dust cover, AA sights, 'pod and cleaning rod. It's got everything I look for in a Japanese rifle. Chrome lined bore is perfect. Hell, I paid just over what the bayonet is worth. Guess I was the only bidder who knew just how good this one was.
    -Type 30 bayonet is a 45th series Nagoya with a bright, unsharpened blade in VG overall condition.

Attachments

• IMGP7654.JPG
      IMGP7654.JPG
      24.9 KB · Views: 359
    • IMGP7659.JPG
      IMGP7659.JPG
      23.8 KB · Views: 358
    • IMGP7655.JPG
      IMGP7655.JPG
      40.6 KB · Views: 358
    • IMGP7656.JPG
      IMGP7656.JPG
      46.3 KB · Views: 361
    • IMGP7657.JPG
      IMGP7657.JPG
      42.5 KB · Views: 352
    • IMGP7658.JPG
      IMGP7658.JPG
      23.8 KB · Views: 356

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Probably the best steal I've had in years. Had to chuckle as the auction description stated that this was a Guadalcanal pickup but fighting ended in Feb 43 and this rifle was almost certainly built later that same year. In the end it was picked up on some Pacific island by a GI even if not on the Canal.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    I'm still amazed you got this one so cheap...throw that on the 'broker on top of a gray blanket and it's an $800 rifle. I like that it's pretty darn close to the time period when the fancy features started disappearing, right before things really started turning south for the Japanese. I also like the characteristic flatter 'foot' on the monopod, characteristic of the Kokura pods and definitely shows that it's nice and original!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom