• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Might be moving to the Pittsburgh area. Was wondering about ranges, gun stores, PA gun laws and Class 3 items

1) Does PA have gun laws like MD as far as 30rnd mag limits and such,

2) Are Class 3 (Machine Guns, Suppressors, and SBRs) legal in PA?

3) Any good gun stores and/or ranges around Pittsburgh?

4) What are the rules about shooting on your property (ie.e your own range)?

Thanks,

Dave

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    A lot more gun friendly there for sure!

Great sandwiches at Primanti Brothers and the beer and German style food at Penn Brewing is worth it.

stimpy17

Mar 10, 2015
    Western Maryland
    Might be moving to the Pittsburgh area. Was wondering about ranges, gun stores, PA gun laws and Class 3 items

1) Does PA have gun laws like MD as far as 30rnd mag limits and such,

2) Are Class 3 (Machine Guns, Suppressors, and SBRs) legal in PA?

3) Any good gun stores and/or ranges around Pittsburgh?

4) What are the rules about shooting on your property (ie.e your own range)?

Thanks,

Dave

Welcome!!!

1. No, own what you want. But on state game land public shooting ranges I think it's 3-5 rounds. Lots of local ranges around for members.

2. C3 friendly state. If you pass all the back ground checks.

3. Lots! Just Google "gun shops in PGH, PA.

4. Depends on where you move. In the city, no.

And what you didn't ask...Yes you can get a concealed carry permit regardless, just pass the background check. It's about protecting lives, not property.

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Some properties in that area have juicy mineral rights; the property may already have a gas well on it or might be prime for getting one that lets you tap your house off of it = free heat! Free generator fuel!

I've heard its always good to ask out that way.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Congrats and I wish we were tagging along. Grew up in Indiana, PA and my wife in the West End, Pittsburgh. We hope to return to our roots soon, but health issues are getting in the way of moving quickly. You'll find the area gun friendly with plenty of shops and places to shoot. My Ranger buddy of 56 years is opening his shop and range facility near Warren, PA this summer.

Lew--Ranger63
    US Army (Ret-'84)

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    Not sure yet. I want something in the country a bit with some land so I can setup a range on my property.

Nothing to far out. Any suggestions?

Dave

It depends on what you need to be near (regarding commuting).

I prefered the west side out near the big airport. Robinson, Moon, Imperial, Clinton Townships. The latter two are still very rural, with all the amenities near by at The Point in Robinson.

There are good selection of gun clubs and ranges. I was fond of a range near Neville island. Always had the place to myself when I went. CCW is shall issue.

I miss it ☺

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Yes they do. I'm from there. I was also there this winter during an impressive snow storm and they did a fine job.

Snowed like a sumbitch up here this year. The main roads were just fine if you didn't drive like you were invincible. The side roads on the other hand, are a different story.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    ****sburg? Sorry to hear that :lol2:

What's to be sorry about? He'd still be getting out of MD. I'm not a huge fan of the 'burgh by any means, but I'll take it any day of the week over similar places in MD. The worse I've encountered up here has been traffic :)

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    It sure beats.....ANYWHEREBURG in MD. Even though it is a yankee state.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, a Yankee state. Years ago I heard someone explain that Pennsylvania is Philadelphia in the east, Pittsburgh in the west, and Alabama in between.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Like someone else said a lot is going to depend on where your work is located and how much driving/traffic you want to put up with. From the South Hills area if you're working in the city you have to go through a tunnel (big traffic choke point) however if you're working in the suburbs you could live further out in the boonies without much traffic. Lots of people here on the forum from up that way so once you know more, ask away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom