• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Went to the Howard County Fairgrounds show today. Had a great time looking through everything. I was one of the first people into the building when it opened this morning and as soon as I walked in I found a nice Marlin 444s Lever action and picked it up for a measly $225. Later on I met cjroman and traded him my Enfield for this beautiful Finnish M28. Mosin Nagants are among my favorite surplus rifles and i'm glad I finally got to add an M28 to my collection after looking for one for so long. Hope the show was as good for everyone else as it was for me!

Attachments

• DSCN2270.jpg
      DSCN2270.jpg
      60.3 KB · Views: 569
    • DSCN2272.jpg
      DSCN2272.jpg
      45 KB · Views: 564
    • DSCN2273.jpg
      DSCN2273.jpg
      52.2 KB · Views: 581
    • DSCN2274.jpg
      DSCN2274.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 569
    • DSCN2278.jpg
      DSCN2278.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 581
    • DSCN2280.jpg
      DSCN2280.jpg
      40.7 KB · Views: 577
    • DSCN2281.jpg
      DSCN2281.jpg
      65.5 KB · Views: 566
    • DSCN2282.jpg
      DSCN2282.jpg
      57.7 KB · Views: 577
    • DSCN2285.jpg
      DSCN2285.jpg
      58.1 KB · Views: 566
    • DSCN2286.jpg
      DSCN2286.jpg
      49.3 KB · Views: 558
    Last edited:

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    :shocking:I found a nice Marlin 444s Lever action and picked it up for a measly $225

Shut the front door!

i'll give ya $300!

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks guys. Qbeam, I've never seen an M28 with those types of swivels before so I'm not completely sure, hopefully somebody more knowledgable will comment

Lee2, sorry but I don't think i'm gonna part with the Marlin anytime soon :D I think somebody must have mismarked the price tag because one of the gentlemen working the table didn't seem too happy about letting it go for that price. Heres a couple pics of it

Attachments

• DSCN2253.jpg
      DSCN2253.jpg
      61.1 KB · Views: 516
    • DSCN2255.jpg
      DSCN2255.jpg
      59.9 KB · Views: 539

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    Thanks guys. Qbeam, I've never seen an M28 with those types of swivels before so I'm not completely sure, hopefully somebody more knowledgable will comment

Lee2, sorry but I don't think i'm gonna part with the Marlin anytime soon :D I think somebody must have mismarked the price tag because one of the gentlemen working the table didn't seem too happy about letting it go for that price. Heres a couple pics of it

You stole that! Wow - congrats...very nice pickup.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    The stock on the Finn has a Finnish stamp, but is it the rebuild stamp??? Is the gun completely matching??? The stock appears to be more recent than when the 28's were made. Can you get and post a good pic of the finger joints in the stock from the bottom view???

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    The stock on the Finn has a Finnish stamp, but is it the rebuild stamp??? Is the gun completely matching??? The stock appears to be more recent than when the 28's were made. Can you get and post a good pic of the finger joints in the stock from the bottom view???

I believe the rifle was refurbished some time during its military service as opposed to being unissued. The bolt does not match and the floorplate and buttplate do not appear to have serial numbers. I can get a picture of the stock joints up in a little bit

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Congratulations, nice trade! Yours looks identical to my M28.
    Mine was refurbished, perhaps when it was transferred from the CG to the Army as the original CG number is lined out and a new SN added along with the boxed SA mark.
    The stocks on both of our rifles have been replaced as they're two piece instead of the original one pc stocks (originals were modified one pc M91 stocks). They look very much like M/28-30 stocks, the intermediate version w.o. the cross bolt behind the nose cap. Mine has the rounded wartime splices. Oddly enough, I don't see M28s with 2 pc replacement stocks all that often, seem to be on the uncommon side. Wish I had a one pc M28 to compare this one to but it's my only M28.
    I'm sure H2U will come along to correct anything I got wrong and impart some additional information.

Attachments

• IMGP6243.JPG
      IMGP6243.JPG
      21.3 KB · Views: 405
    • IMGP6245.JPG
      IMGP6245.JPG
      59.4 KB · Views: 398
    • IMGP6246.JPG
      IMGP6246.JPG
      43.5 KB · Views: 404
    • IMGP6247.JPG
      IMGP6247.JPG
      56.6 KB · Views: 404

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    That's what I was trying to determine if it was wartime round stock fingerjoints or later squared fingerjoints. I really suspect the latter as the stock has that "look" of a much later stock.

jindodog

Sep 29, 2007
    Chester
    Nice M28, MilsurpDan. Uncommon stock for sure. The crossed cannons cartouche is the stockmaker's mark. I'll have to look through my collection to see if I have an M-28 with that stock and swivel set up. If I don't, you just gave me something else to be on the lookout for. For that I thank you,... I suppose.;) I did't see a single Finn at that show, I wonder if you scored the only one?

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Nice M28, MilsurpDan. Uncommon stock for sure. The crossed cannons cartouche is the stockmaker's mark. I'll have to look through my collection to see if I have an M-28 with that stock and swivel set up. If I don't, you just gave me something else to be on the lookout for. For that I thank you,... I suppose.;) I did't see a single Finn at that show, I wonder if you scored the only one?

I saw one gentleman with a rack towards the middle of the room that had a few older sporting rifles and shotguns. He had an M39 on the left side, I didn't pick it up because I remember looking at the price tag and thought it was too much money than what I had on me. Looked like he had a nice Argentine M91 Mauser for only $225 though

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    A very nice pick up, MilsurpDan!! I'm a sucker for anything Civil Guard oriented :D

Your M28 is uncommon as it's been through a depot refurb. M28's didn't apparently enjoy the same refurbishment programs some other models did (M91's, M27's, and M28/30's come to mind). You don't often see M28's redone such as this one-but it's all totally correct :thumbsup:
    Your stock looks like a two-piece version, but a later example. In the beginning, the Civil Guard didn't have stocks for the rifles and cut down old M91 stocks for them. Those older, converted stocks had the SYT proof in the right finger groove to show it passed inspection for use with the new rifle. This one is probably one of the newer ones that was added post reblue. Your rifle also looks like it's sporting an M39 sling.

Mawkie- As you're probably aware, your M28 originally was in a double-slotted, "Ski-Trooper" stock pre-refurb. Too bad the old stock isn't still with it!! I also see your bolt has the proper CG District number on the bolt flat. Does it have a, "o20" on the bolt knob? How about just a 20 on the long side of the buttplate? Your rifle does have a correct M28 sling with an oval buckle.

Dan- I'm sure many of us look forward to pics of the barrel shank, bolt, and a shot of the long side of the buttplate (looking for a rack number).
    I'd also like to add I'd LOVE to find a .444 lever for the price you paid!!

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    MilsurpDan,
    It was a pleasure meeting you yesterday as well. I'm glad we could meet up and make the trade. I hope you enjoy the M28, it sure is a beauty. I wonder about the journey your Enfield took from the Savage factory, "across the pond", and ending up in the inventory of the Union of South Africa's Forces...I love these old rifles and wondering where they have been and who has used them. I still have the M27, no takers yeaterday...

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    A very nice pick up, MilsurpDan!! I'm a sucker for anything Civil Guard oriented :D

Your M28 is uncommon as it's been through a depot refurb. M28's didn't apparently enjoy the same refurbishment programs some other models did (M91's, M27's, and M28/30's come to mind). You don't often see M28's redone such as this one-but it's all totally correct :thumbsup:
    Your stock looks like a two-piece version, but a later example. In the beginning, the Civil Guard didn't have stocks for the rifles and cut down old M91 stocks for them. Those older, converted stocks had the SYT proof in the right finger groove to show it passed inspection for use with the new rifle. This one is probably one of the newer ones that was added post reblue. Your rifle also looks like it's sporting an M39 sling.

Mawkie- As you're probably aware, your M28 originally was in a double-slotted, "Ski-Trooper" stock pre-refurb. Too bad the old stock isn't still with it!! I also see your bolt has the proper CG District number on the bolt flat. Does it have a, "o20" on the bolt knob? How about just a 20 on the long side of the buttplate? Your rifle does have a correct M28 sling with an oval buckle.

Dan- I'm sure many of us look forward to pics of the barrel shank, bolt, and a shot of the long side of the buttplate (looking for a rack number).
    I'd also like to add I'd LOVE to find a .444 lever for the price you paid!!

h2u, thank you for the extended overview of my rifle. The Stock splice looks exactly the same as Mawkie's M28. Another interesting thing is that it has an early 4 digit serial number (less than 5000). The barrel shank is marked SY and is a SIG made barrel. I have not taken it apart yet to see what the barrel date is and what the tang date is (was told it is pre-1898). The triggerguard is marked R for Remington. The only markings on the buttplate is an F and a 4 which I have pictured

Attachments

• DSCN2287.jpg
      DSCN2287.jpg
      43 KB · Views: 269
    • DSCN2289.jpg
      DSCN2289.jpg
      40.3 KB · Views: 270
    • DSCN2290.jpg
      DSCN2290.jpg
      45.8 KB · Views: 265
    • DSCN2291.jpg
      DSCN2291.jpg