Question on non-regulated gun transfers between residents of two different states

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I have purchased a number of non-regulated firearms from individuals that were from other states; always the seller sends the rifle to the FFL I deal with in Maryland (I'm a non-FFL and sometimes the seller may or may not be an FFL). Up to now the non-regulated guns I bought were from states so far away that a face to face transaction would not even be practical. However I now have an opportunity to purchase a non-regulated gun from a resident of PA. The non-FFL seller in PA is in easy driving distance. My question is: Can I travel to PA and purchase the rifle in a FTF transaction with the seller in PA and bypass having to go through an FFL (and save a little money and time).
    If I not mistaken this is a question of Federal gun law and not Maryland gun law because the gun involved is considered by Maryland to be non-regulated.
    Thanks

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    AFAIK, sales between individuals of differing states has to go thru an FFL - I could be right, could be wrong - but that's how I've always understood it.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you are outside your state of residence, you must purchase/transfer through an FFL. Non-FFL FTF applies to non-regulated long gun sales between residents of the same state.

Jul 26, 2012
    Maryland
    Along those same lines, If I want to purchase a shotgun or bolt action rifle at the Gettysburg Gun Show... Would they have to transfer the gun to a Maryland FFL or could I go home with my new gun that day from the show?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Along those same lines, If I want to purchase a shotgun or bolt action rifle at the Gettysburg Gun Show... Would they have to transfer the gun to a Maryland FFL or could I go home with my new gun that day from the show?

Cash and carry if the seller is an FFL, assuming non-regulated.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

you can take it home with you as long the dealer is an ffl and do the background check. only regulated rifle and handguns, you have to have it sent or transfered to a md ffl.

Jul 26, 2012
    Maryland
    you can take it home with you as long the dealer is an ffl and do the background check. only regulated rifle and handguns, you have to have it sent or transfered to a md ffl.

Great, I need a new deer hunting gun and I'm not too far from Gettysburg PA.
    Good thread since I'll be an MD resident purchasing in PA.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I actually always thought transfers had to go through an FFL for non-FFL individuals of different states; what prompted my question was a phone call to an FFL in PA to see if we could meet there, transfer the gun to the FFL and then the FFL transfer the gun to me (to at least save the shipping). If I understood him correctly (and I went over this several times) he said we could do the FTF in PA between an instate and out of state individual without the FFL --no problem. This is sort of scary the lack of understanding of the law by someone you would think would be in the know.
    Again, I apologize to the FFL I talked to if I misunderstood (and I wouldn't mention names in any case) but I don't think I misunderstood by virtue of the number of times I reiterated what he was telling me.

If you are outside your state of residence, you must purchase/transfer through an FFL. Non-FFL FTF applies to non-regulated long gun sales between residents of the same state.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I actually always thought transfers had to go through an FFL for non-FFL individuals of different states; what prompted my question was a phone call to an FFL in PA to see if we could meet there, transfer the gun to the FFL and then the FFL transfer the gun to me (to at least save the shipping). If I understood him correctly (and I went over this several times) he said we could do the FTF in PA between an instate and out of state individual without the FFL --no problem. This is sort of scary the lack of understanding of the law by someone you would think would be in the know.
    Again, I apologize to the FFL I talked to if I misunderstood (and I wouldn't mention names in any case) but I don't think I misunderstood by virtue of the number of times I reiterated what he was telling me.

ok.. he being an ffl and transfering the gun to you as non-ffl.. yes..that would work.. (for long guns only.. ie. non md regulated firearms)

if he is NOT an ffl.. then that will be no go.. interstate sales regular joe to another is illegal.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Has to go through a FFL, yes it's federal

ok.. he being an ffl and transfering the gun to you as non-ffl.. yes..that would work.. (for long guns only.. ie. non md regulated firearms)

if he is NOT an ffl.. then that will be no go.. interstate sales regular joe to another is illegal.

THIS ^^^^^ and nothing else. Given the outlined circumstances as per the OP, doing a FTF without FFL, if you get caught then or down the road at a later date, just as someone posted earlier, "club fed" for you (three hots, a cot, and all the dick you want, whether you like it or not). I'm not trying to be an ass here, but the entire jist of my message is don't do something the wrong way to try to save a few minutes and a few bucks (I know a few people that tried that, didn't stop at the drug store on their way to see their girlfriend, ultimately wound up paying for it during the next eighteen plus years).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom