GM tech or military mechanic with 6.2 diesel knowledge?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I thought I would try and see if anyone here might be a GM trained or military mechanic that has 6.2 diesel experience. I need work done on an old Suburban with the 6.2 diesel. I'm trying to get this old truck road worthy and don't want to pay $100 an hour shop rates. The truck fires up and runs, and drives, but has some oil leaks I'd like looked at. The truck also needs a power steering pump, and just managed to snap a starter bolt, so that needs fixed too.

I'd rather go to work at my job making some overtime money getting paid to do what I do best, than spend a weekend on my back cussing in the driveway. This way I get to pay you for what you do best. Win win.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    To help you until others chime in, look over at Steel Soldiers. We have a large and active community of military vehicle enthusiasts around the region.

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    There's a brace that bolts from the starter to the block that if missing will lead to the starter bolts breaking. If it's missing ask around on Steel Soldiers, someone should have one. Good luck on getting her running!

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I'm in the Annapolis area.

The brace is missing. I picked one up at the dealer along with a new starter bolt. Trouble is the starter doesn't have anything to attach the brace to. My guess is the starter is some cheapo discount unit.

Right now with all the leaks this motor has I'm starting to think about just yanking the motor out and getting it rebuilt rather than throwing money at an old engine. As far as an engine goes my options seem to be a remanufactured engine like a Jasper, which I'm not a fan of. I've heard too many horror stories. Option 2 is to try and find a good local diesel shop to rebuild what I have. Option 3 is the high dollar AM General 6500 Optimizer which is the updated version of the GM diesel since GM sold them the rights to the motor. This is a great sounding motor with all new parts, but is also north of $6k.

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    Check out governmentliquidation.com for government rebuilds. They are ones that were pulled from HMMWVs, rebuilt, then never used when they switched to the 6.5. Closest location to you is at Ft Meade. It's an auction site so prices can fluctuate from $300-700. I haven't looked for them in a few years so I don't know where they are at now. They would come with 24 volt starters, not 12 though.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    diesel connection in Aberdeen... straight shooting guy and he drives an old chevy 6.2.

Tried to call them. Got a recording that says nonworking number. Are these guys out of business?

Truck is up and running. Pulled the starter, drilled out the broken starter bolt with an EZ Out and replaced with a new bolt. This truck is a mess. Oil leaks galore and lots of shim sham shade tree stuff. Hardware store bolts in the transmission pan, heat shields hung on with zip ties, missing bolts. :sad20:

I never will understand conversations that go something like:

"Hey Clem, we got some extra parts over here."

"Shoot Cletus, she's a runnin, don't worry about it." :rolleyes:

Today's events were confirmation I need to just get the engine pulled on this truck, rebuilt and done right or not at all. What I can't seem to find is a diesel shop that actually rebuilds their own motors, and knows 6.2 diesels. I don't want some crappy rebuilt Jasper crate engine put together out of a bucket of low bidder Chinese parts that is just going to explode in another 50k miles.

Last edited:

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I have never seen rebuilt motors on the auctions. That would be sweet.

steel soldiers did not pan out?

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I have never seen rebuilt motors on the auctions. That would be sweet.

steel soldiers did not pan out?

Steel soldiers was what led me to Ted's Trucks. Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

Ted's looks to have some pretty good deals on surplus 6.2 motors. They aren't new, but have been test run and checked for oil pressure and compression. If I can't find a local shop, this may be the direction I end up going.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Jasper used to provide our replacment motors when I was a contractor on Ft Dix.

What was your experience with the Jasper motors? I have heard enough horror stories about their diesel stuff to scare me off.

Would you consider buying one of the take out 6.2 engines from when the military upgraded many of the HMMWVs? Supposedly most of the engines had nothing wrong with them, but the military went through an upgrade program to more powerful engines with the up-armored HMMWV program. At least that is how I understand it, but I'm sure you can elaborate more on that than I can.....

Here is the outfit I mentioned that sells the takeout HMMWV engines.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-2-Diesel-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3392391d4f

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    It was my experience that the Army left the 6.2s in the vehicles with bolt-on armor kits and ordered the 1114's (full armor from factory) with 6.5 turbodiesels. Of course, different units may mean different results.

Now I wonder what 42ID did with bumper number HHC203.....that sucker ran like a scalded-ass baboon even with the hillbilly armor on her.

Mar 31, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    What was your experience with the Jasper motors? I have heard enough horror stories about their diesel stuff to scare me off.

Would you consider buying one of the take out 6.2 engines from when the military upgraded many of the HMMWVs? Supposedly most of the engines had nothing wrong with them, but the military went through an upgrade program to more powerful engines with the up-armored HMMWV program. At least that is how I understand it, but I'm sure you can elaborate more on that than I can.....

Here is the outfit I mentioned that sells the takeout HMMWV engines.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-2-Diesel-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3392391d4f

Haha they were hit or miss. I would get an absolute beast motor sometimes, other times it would spin a bearing or leak oil once started.

The newer models had the 6.5 turbo which was better for the up armor kits. A stock 6.2 from a military vehicle is not a bad engine either. The CUCV comes in various forms and have these same motors, I'm assuming that's what you have? Ish like a K5 blazer with a diesel, or a pickup truck Silverado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom